All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am
Posts: 691
an actual Live midi effect so it's maximum stability. I like the max ones but they are so massively unstable that they basically useless in a real live performance . make it ultra basic but my most desired feature would be to be able to macro the number of steps .

_________________
(((O_O)))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am
Posts: 5008
Inversoundzzz wrote:
an actual Live midi effect so it's maximum stability. I like the max ones but they are so massively unstable that they basically useless in a real live performance . make it ultra basic but my most desired feature would be to be able to macro the number of steps .


Given the fact MIDI clips are the native Live sequencer I think you should make a little more clear what kind of features you're looking for. There's no obvious point in making native what is already available, rather it would make more sense for Ableton to take some core ideas and run with these. Which core ideas?

_________________
Waves: 10% off coupon via this link
Macbook Pro, macOS 10.12, Live 9.7.1, RME Babyface, Push, Alphatrack, KRK Rokit 5, Superlux HD-668B
Enhanced Push community mapping for native Live devices


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:53 am 

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am
Posts: 691
Stromkraft wrote:
Inversoundzzz wrote:
an actual Live midi effect so it's maximum stability. I like the max ones but they are so massively unstable that they basically useless in a real live performance . make it ultra basic but my most desired feature would be to be able to macro the number of steps .


Given the fact MIDI clips are the native Live sequencer I think you should make a little more clear what kind of features you're looking for. There's no obvious point in making native what is already available, rather it would make more sense for Ableton to take some core ideas and run with these. Which core ideas?

do you use zebra2? something like the step sequencer on that. basically 16 steps, each step has note length, and semi-tone adjustements

the main thing that i would like is the ability to shrink or expand the step #, so on the fly, you can change the number of steps from 16 to 15 to 8 etc whatever.
Image

this is an ultra simple sequencer, but I find it to be very useful for live techno. i wish to control something like it inside ableton.

_________________
(((O_O)))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am 

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am
Posts: 691
ok i think if you just refined the "All Together" step sequencer, and made it stable, that would at least be very useful. if you made part of Live's native midi effects, then it woul dbe usable.

_________________
(((O_O)))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 am 

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am
Posts: 5008
Inversoundzzz wrote:
ok i think if you just refined the "All Together" step sequencer, and made it stable, that would at least be very useful. if you made part of Live's native midi effects, then it woul dbe usable.


What's the "All Together" step sequencer?

Also, did you check out articles looking at VST plug-in MIDI sequencers? Like for example Free Step Sequencer VST Plugins! (Bedroomproducersblog) and VSTi MIDI Sequencers (Hitsquad).

I don't really see why a native MIDI sequencer needs to be a MIDI effect per se. It would be more natural to present this as another MIDI editor that interfaces the clip for raw data, without necessarily being tied to it.

_________________
Waves: 10% off coupon via this link
Macbook Pro, macOS 10.12, Live 9.7.1, RME Babyface, Push, Alphatrack, KRK Rokit 5, Superlux HD-668B
Enhanced Push community mapping for native Live devices


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am
Posts: 691
yea i checked some of those out, they seem to need weird routing on other tracks. like you cant insert the arp before the instrument, you have to use another track and then use routing, unnecessary complexity and problems. the point of the step sequencer is so you dont have to program any midi notes.

_________________
(((O_O)))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:55 am 

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm
Posts: 362
If all you want is the ability to change the loop length of your clips on the fly, look into using clyphx' clip loop functions tied to a MIDI controller.

Super stable of course with the added benefit that you are using the internal sequencer (aka clips)

You can do the same with note pitch and note length on each step, but that might become a bit unwieldy to do it all.

Btw, I love Zebra, but their Arp/sequencer kinda sucks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a stable step sequencer (native Live)
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:01 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 am
Posts: 691
yea im just showing it because of the simplicity, thats why. it definitely isnt that good, but i like that you can at least change the steps #.

_________________
(((O_O)))


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group