Undo/Immediate rerecord

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
IMage_Engine

Undo/Immediate rerecord

Post by IMage_Engine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi All
I asked for this a long time ago...hmm 10 years or so I think...and sure it must be a commonly asked request
Can there be an Undo command that waits for the next quantisation start before deleting and immediately start recording a new clip on the next cycle? Maybe call it 'Retake'?
Everyone else may not need it but often during a loop take, if Im not happy with the current take, I would like to keep playing so the next take seamlessly picks ups and there is no interruption to the flow and replaces the currently recording one but only at the next cycle.
PLEASE PLEASE make it part of the M4L api.

Ideas?

Cheers
Mark

mikb

Re: Undo/Immediate rerecord

Post by mikb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:07 am

IMage_Engine wrote:Hi All
I asked for this a long time ago...hmm 10 years or so I think...and sure it must be a commonly asked request
Can there be an Undo command that waits for the next quantisation start before deleting and immediately start recording a new clip on the next cycle? Maybe call it 'Retake'?
Everyone else may not need it but often during a loop take, if Im not happy with the current take, I would like to keep playing so the next take seamlessly picks ups and there is no interruption to the flow and replaces the currently recording one but only at the next cycle.
PLEASE PLEASE make it part of the M4L api.

Ideas?
Why does this have to be a part of the Max For Live API specifically? At first read it would appear to concern audio or MIDI recording to clips and if so wouldn't appear to involve Max For Live. Maybe I'm missing something.

At least when overdubbing in a loop my experience is that this works with MIDI tracks. Did your request concern audio recordings?
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:52 am

Audio and midi..not specifically for M4L...what I'm thinking is as realtime process. It's a feature request...api only reflects the core system. I guess the question is...could that type of function be cobbled out if current api features or is it so intrinsic ie such a natural part of a live looping process that it deserves core functionality..seems like a strong candidate for feature request.
Cheers

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:52 am

Dont worry about it Ableton. Trivial to do with M4L...but once you use it...you realise non M4L users would really benefit.

mikb

Post by mikb » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:24 pm

IMage_Engine wrote:It's a feature request...api only reflects the core system. I guess the question is...could that type of function be cobbled out if current api features or is it so intrinsic ie such a natural part of a live looping process that it deserves core functionality..
I think it should be a core feature. I'm not fully understanding your suggestion, but it sounds interesting.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:02 pm

mikb wrote:
IMage_Engine wrote:It's a feature request...api only reflects the core system. I guess the question is...could that type of function be cobbled out if current api features or is it so intrinsic ie such a natural part of a live looping process that it deserves core functionality..
I think it should be a core feature. I'm not fully understanding your suggestion, but it sounds interesting.
To put it another way...you are in the middle of a loop take and realise there's a fault with the take...so rather than wait...you execute the retake, which deletes the clip on the fly and starts recording at the next cycle...to the obserer...play is uninterrupted and it's only 1 click so it's much less distracting. No one knows any different
Hope that makes more sense