MPE support.

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live

Are you avoiding or ditching Live due to lack of MPE support?

Yes, it's becoming really important.
79
82%
No, I don't care.
17
18%
 
Total votes: 96

Machinesworking
Posts: 11077
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: MPE support.

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 pm

thomashalp wrote:bump

installed bitwig today i've had enough
I'm using Reaper rewired as a slave into Live. This gives me MPE without learning a fourth DAW...
Plus Reaper even in Rewire mode is a guarantee of more plug ins in a Set. Same with Bitwig..

Actually ReWire and SysEx are two big reasons I wasn't interested in jumping ship to Bitwig.
Ableton actually improved their Rewire capabilities in Live 10, Bitwig only has Ableton Link... In general Bitwig is just as quick or quicker to ditch what it considers "old" technology.

Beyond that it seems likely to be really quite stable with VST sandboxing and a built in version of M4L, if they had some interest in connecting to the outside world (Rewire, SysEx, NRPN etc.) I would be all over it.

Phende
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 am

Re: MPE support.

Post by Phende » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Purchased and started learning Bitwig last month as I need workable support for my Rise. I like Live better.

Then just noticed today that 10.1 beta is there and does not mention MPE, feeling sad now.

thomashalp
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am

Re: MPE support.

Post by thomashalp » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 am

Aaaaa such a letdown.

This seems like a big update so even if they do add it later it will take a while till the next major update im guessing

Ghandi
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 am

Re: MPE support.

Post by Ghandi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:31 am

Please introduce MPE/MPE+ support in live ASAP. Thank you

jrhythm6960
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Re: MPE support.

Post by jrhythm6960 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Has anyone out there seen a good tutorial regarding connecting Bitwig with Live? Not sure what that means CPU wise, but I'd love to use Equator in Bitwig for editing MIDI purposes, but have the audio go directly into Live. Not the most ideal setup, but it would make editing MPE alot easier for me..thanks.

H20nly
Posts: 15851
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: MPE support.

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm

jrhythm6960 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm
Has anyone out there seen a good tutorial regarding connecting Bitwig with Live? Not sure what that means CPU wise, but I'd love to use Equator in Bitwig for editing MIDI purposes, but have the audio go directly into Live. Not the most ideal setup, but it would make editing MPE alot easier for me..thanks.
can you not just re-wire?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Kvesti
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:35 pm
Contact:

Re: MPE support.

Post by Kvesti » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm

H20nly wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm
jrhythm6960 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm
Has anyone out there seen a good tutorial regarding connecting Bitwig with Live? Not sure what that means CPU wise, but I'd love to use Equator in Bitwig for editing MIDI purposes, but have the audio go directly into Live. Not the most ideal setup, but it would make editing MPE alot easier for me..thanks.
can you not just re-wire?
Bitwig doesn't support rewire. One of the reasons I won't be jumping to Bitwig for Live's lack of MPE support.

H20nly
Posts: 15851
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: MPE support.

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 pm

huh... :?

i thought they ripped off all the good ideas. guess i was wrong.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11077
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: MPE support.

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Bitwig does Ableton Link and MIDI beat clock. You still have to figure a way to record the audio, but if you're writing in Bitwig you can print stems in Bitwig.

Reaper does Rewire, that's the easiest solution to MPE at the moment in Live.

There's a python script that creates the 16 tracks you need for your instrument etc. someone made.
Along with multiple MIDI tracks being able to be viewed in the same MIDI editor in 10 it solves some of the main problems with MPE in Live.

pottering
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:41 am

Re: MPE support.

Post by pottering » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:10 am

Surprised it was not posted here already:
https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util

thomashalp
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am

Re: MPE support.

Post by thomashalp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:06 pm

I think it was and it’s nice.
But far from a good workflow.

Post Reply