Custom Key commands

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Dallon426

Custom Key commands

Post by Dallon426 » Sun May 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi, I just want to let you guys know, that I would purchase Ableton if it had Custom Key commands. That is the one issue I have with the software and it is the one thing that is holding me back. I am a logic user and a cubase user. Many times I have looked at Ableton, but I cannot hang with a company that does not allow me to edit my keyboard to my liking. Just for you guys to know. I hope this is something that will change in the near future! Thanks,

Dallon

jonljacobi

Re: Custom Key commands

Post by jonljacobi » Mon May 03, 2021 1:23 am

Long standing request. Over 100 votes currently on the Centercode site. Just in case you didn’t know, you can define a few primary key commands, and also use AutoHotKey or Keyboard Maestro to partially remedy the situation.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:14 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:23 am
Long standing request. Over 100 votes currently on the Centercode site. Just in case you didn’t know, you can define a few primary key commands, and also use AutoHotKey or Keyboard Maestro to partially remedy the situation.
Yeah, I hope it goes through, the problem I have is I want complete control, I do not want to be tied to ableton's key commands. And if I use the other software, then Ableton's commands are not over rideable. I cannot believe how long it has taken ableton to accept this! It is a must in all daws, IMO.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri May 07, 2021 2:34 am

I've just added what I really need using the keypad. That gives me enough for what I need one-handed when recording. No one would love it more if they opened up the environment and let us use our own commands.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm

I would love it more actually. :D

Been asking for this since Live 4.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:50 am

Tarekith wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:04 pm
I would love it more actually. :D

Been asking for this since Live 4.
Pretty ridiculous that they've ignored it for so long.
The key commands in logic is genius. It let's you create them by location on the keyboard which allows for more precise commands. For those of us that have number pads it's quite fantastic👍

I really hope Ableton let's us override the global commands as well

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm

There is a school of thought, believe it or not, that allowing custom key commands slows adoption of a DAW. I actually heard this from UA when reviewing Luna. This can't really be Ableton's thing, as they do allow some commands.

What it really seems to me is that the devs are a bit stuck on crafting the "perfect" solution of their own, rather than just saying "here, you do what you want". I have heard that they didn't like some of the hideous themes users put out there (and were shown on the Web) and backed off that.

Seeing what they've done, I can't completely disagree with their approach. Someone mentioned Logic, but an even better example is Reaper which even allows you to customize the menus. Cubase allowed this once upon a time, though that's long gone.

Also, if you notice, there was a way to show inserts on the mixer, and there's a whole pane that replaces the browser for the key commands you are allowed. It's a bit strange that they didn't just go all the way, and I can almost hear them debating performance and simplicity over customization.

Personally, as long as there's a reset switch, I don't see the harm of customizing key commands and menus, etc. That would indeed be my preference, but it just doesn't seem to be part of their vision. Maybe once...

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:49 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:56 pm
There is a school of thought, believe it or not, that allowing custom key commands slows adoption of a DAW. I actually heard this from UA when reviewing Luna. This can't really be Ableton's thing, as they do allow some commands.

What it really seems to me is that the devs are a bit stuck on crafting the "perfect" solution of their own, rather than just saying "here, you do what you want". I have heard that they didn't like some of the hideous themes users put out there (and were shown on the Web) and backed off that.

Seeing what they've done, I can't completely disagree with their approach. Someone mentioned Logic, but an even better example is Reaper which even allows you to customize the menus. Cubase allowed this once upon a time, though that's long gone.

Also, if you notice, there was a way to show inserts on the mixer, and there's a whole pane that replaces the browser for the key commands you are allowed. It's a bit strange that they didn't just go all the way, and I can almost hear them debating performance and simplicity over customization.

Personally, as long as there's a reset switch, I don't see the harm of customizing key commands and menus, etc. That would indeed be my preference, but it just doesn't seem to be part of their vision. Maybe once...

I cannot understand why it would slow down the adoption of a DAW. Also with key commands they can just have templates. Standard, Empty, or custom and we can save our own custom key commands. Relatively simple. I think it would open up the program in more positive ways than negative ones. But I do think that it should be 100 percent editable. Minus the OS internal hotkeys