Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
slow.robot
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by slow.robot » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:56 am

pottering wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 pm
Dummy Clips are not the only "gotcha", for example, removing silence before warping the whole stem makes it harder to set the resulting separate Clips to the grid later.

It can nullify Warping, one of Live's main features.

Saying "IF users are careful BEFORE doing strip silence THEN they won't have problems" is pretty much the same thing as saying "users are going to have problems".
order of operations is a fundamental aspect of work in any DAW though. what you do before affects what you do after, whether you're talking about routing order, or actual steps taken. if I check my mix in mono before adding some strange Haas effect, then I still run the risk of having problems with mono compatibility--or take your pick from any of millions of other potential issues caused by doing things out of order. it'd seem strange to draw the line here, of all places.

Nyyx
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by Nyyx » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:57 am

slow.robot wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:56 am
pottering wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 pm
Dummy Clips are not the only "gotcha", for example, removing silence before warping the whole stem makes it harder to set the resulting separate Clips to the grid later.

It can nullify Warping, one of Live's main features.

Saying "IF users are careful BEFORE doing strip silence THEN they won't have problems" is pretty much the same thing as saying "users are going to have problems".
order of operations is a fundamental aspect of work in any DAW though. what you do before affects what you do after, whether you're talking about routing order, or actual steps taken. if I check my mix in mono before adding some strange Haas effect, then I still run the risk of having problems with mono compatibility--or take your pick from any of millions of other potential issues caused by doing things out of order. it'd seem strange to draw the line here, of all places.
Exactly. I don't know why some of you are even acting like this is even a counter argument. If you're not smart enough to use strip silence correctly, then just don't use it. Like this is in no way a valid argument for it not being available. It's not very complex.

jonljacobi
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by jonljacobi » Sat May 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Want a valid argument against? Because it’s not a feature many users need, and every low use feature implemented is another item aother users have to wade through to get to what they want. It saves you time and wastes everyone else’s.

Nyyx
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by Nyyx » Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:52 pm
Want a valid argument against? Because it’s not a feature many users need, and every low use feature implemented is another item aother users have to wade through to get to what they want. It saves you time and wastes everyone else’s.
What a dogshit take. It's a simple quality of life feature that people have been asking for for years. Acting like this is some arbitrary request made by like 2 people is stupid. And even more so that it's robbing you.

slow.robot
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by slow.robot » Sun May 02, 2021 3:01 am

ah, the ever present “but *I* don’t need it” argument. even better when it’s used to make a *single* feature request sound like it’s going to make the rest of the software incredibly bloated and difficult to use.

jonljacobi
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by jonljacobi » Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 am

I didn’t say “I” and show me the myriad of requests for this particular feature. Then count the number of feature requests here. The try to remember you’re not the only users on the planet.

slow.robot
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by slow.robot » Mon May 03, 2021 7:25 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 am
I didn’t say “I” and show me the myriad of requests for this particular feature. Then count the number of feature requests here. The try to remember you’re not the only users on the planet.
who, me? I don't need strip silence at all. I support the request precisely *because* I'm not the only user on the planet. I just don't buy into the "your feature request is going to make my life harder" fallacy. there are already tons of features I'll never need (probably the same for you), yet Live still doesn't feel bloated and remains quite easy to use. 🤷🏻‍♂️

jonljacobi
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by jonljacobi » Fri May 07, 2021 2:43 am

How could you possibly know how many commands they haven't implemented for precisely the reason I mentioned? Unless they open up the environment and allow user-defined key commands and greater configuration of which commands are available, they're doing a very tricky balancing act. Strip silence is not a command I think many users need. If I'm wrong, then add it. However, the bloat factor is a valid argument, not a fallacy.

slow.robot
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by slow.robot » Fri May 07, 2021 8:22 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:43 am
How could you possibly know how many commands they haven't implemented for precisely the reason I mentioned? Unless they open up the environment and allow user-defined key commands and greater configuration of which commands are available, they're doing a very tricky balancing act. Strip silence is not a command I think many users need. If I'm wrong, then add it. However, the bloat factor is a valid argument, not a fallacy.
you're conflating keyboard shortcuts with features. they're not the same thing.

jonljacobi
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by jonljacobi » Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm

Read it again.

slow.robot
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 am

Re: Why is there STILL no strip silence in Ableton 11???

Post by slow.robot » Sat May 08, 2021 5:13 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm
Read it again.
unfortunately, reading nonsensical statements multiple times doesn’t make them more logical.

Post Reply