Default interfaces.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Default interfaces.

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Sometimes it's the little things that over time drive you completely mental...

Let me set a list of priority interfaces and Live should select the highest priority one present in the system on start-up. Simples!

I use my computer for lots of things and invariably sometimes at the end of an evening I turn off my interface before I've actually quit Live. Next time I open it, Audio Engine Off, go and choose an interface to enable it...

But I NEVER want no interface. Who wants no interface when one is present!?!?! I ALWAYS want my RME Fireface UFX II if the system can see it. And if not and I'm on the move, I'll have built-in audio please. Always. Never nothing!

It remembers which inputs / outputs of an interface like the UFXII are enabled or disabled. So surely it could have a priority order saved along with that for each one, because it can't not know previous interfaces and previous settings for them based on this fact.

Then with this super-simple behaviour (that would surely be pretty simple to code too, it's only a simple start-up check), it'll just set it so I always get my UFX II if present, and if not, I get built in audio (or maybe my old MOTU ahead of that if I put that in the list as a higher priority). If anyone regularly goes between 2 or move different studios, or a studio or live interface, it would always just auto select the "best interface that matches any previously used". Super simple. FAR less annoying than having to go choose all the time.

This may seem trivial but I've been using Live since Live 5, so I've probably had to "ok" the audio engine off message and go set it to the completely obvious interface I *always* use literally hundreds of times over the years. It drives me nuts! :x

Tarekith

Re: Default interfaces.

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Been asked for many times, probably my number one wish as well right now.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Piplodocus

Re: Default interfaces.

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 pm

I’ve previously been one of those "many times" requested. Hadn’t asked for at least one whole version of Live though, so thought I’d ask again… :roll:

Seems a somewhat simple mod for loads less annoyance.
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1