Rename parameters within "Configure"

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
.marc.

Rename parameters within "Configure"

Post by .marc. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:42 pm

Hi, is it possible to rename the parameters within a device (Cant tell you the right name for that... but I try to subscribe what I mean: Plugin ABC -> click on the little arrow on top left -> now some devices has always parameters that are available; some you need to click on "Configure", do some action in your vst and the parameter is available)

My problem is, that i map what I need to a macro and there I can rename.. BUT: every time i change maybe a preset or what ever, the macros are NOT updated to this position and that is very frustration. I work with push 2 and also within the L11.. with the macros I only have one way to work with (from push to the VST). the other way is not updating. But if I'm in the VST, change some thing and maybe an hour later I use push 2 with this before used macro-parameter I maybe change the mapping to hard... because the mapping was at 0, in the vst it was at 100 (but I can't remember all I did within an hour).. now all is changed... thanks "not updated" macro...

The other Problem is, that the macros are limited but parameters can be much more. with a "rename" I can use all of them as I need on my push without to know what a parameter "FH5 L89 BH" means...

Hope someone knows what I try to explain :D

Thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Rename parameters within "Configure"

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 pm

No you can't. But there's a trick: macro map those parameters, and then rename your macros.
Ableton Forum Moderator

.marc.

Post by .marc. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:56 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 pm
No you can't. But there's a trick: macro map those parameters, and then rename your macros.
Thanks for reply and investing time, but as I wrote. I did it, but then I have an other problem (the macro-knobs not updating if I do anything within the vst or au or what ever). I tried to explain, but maybe it was not good enough :D

You have maybe some more infos as admin and know if something like that is in progress for some update? because it is very strange that this (macros) is not working in both sites. if the parameters are not assigned to a macro you can see that they are updated. after assigning it is not updating anymore.

should I write to the support-team?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Oh, sorry. I was doing multiple things at the same time and didn't read the main part of your post :oops:

You can't do anything about this since, as you noticed, macros aren't bidirectionnal and since they are taking over the mapped parameter that's why the parameter stops responding to tweaks done from the VST's GUI. You have to deal with this I'm afraid. It's not a bug so no need to write to support about this.
What you can do though is to go to Centercode and this as a "Suggestion" (or vote for one if it already exists). I could also move this topic to the Feature Wishlist.
Wait... I'm actually moving this to the FW :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

.marc.

Post by .marc. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:31 pm

jur. thank you very much

vokinpirks

Post by vokinpirks » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:08 pm

If you use push 2 you can rename VST plugin parameters (and even rearrange into custom named banks) . Search for Ubermap.
An obsessive knob twiddler

eturusheo

Post by eturusheo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 am

I wish Ableton would make this feature happen. This would be a massive help with most midi controllers with displays and would also bring clarity into the automation lane view.

pmsorhaindo

Post by pmsorhaindo » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:33 am

eturusheo wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 am
I wish Ableton would make this feature happen. This would be a massive help with most midi controllers with displays and would also bring clarity into the automation lane view.
This would make me sooo happy