Undo button?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Djard

Undo button?

Post by Djard » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:17 pm

Unable to find an Undo button in the UI, I have been using the Edit menu that slows workflow. If Ableton Live does not include a shortcut to Undo, I think one would be a valuable addition.

Also the ability to open remote files from the Files menu would be handy. I store most of my audio files in various categories on external USB drives: creating folders to access a remote file seems a labor unfitting of such a sophisticated program.
Win 10, Finale 26.3, Corel PSP & Video Studio, Tunefish synthesizer.

slow.robot

Re: Undo button?

Post by slow.robot » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:45 pm

the undo button is on your keyboard. ctrl+z 😉

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:29 am

I think every one of the 40 or so media apps I use have an undo icon, so it is odd that such a sophisticated program would buck convention.

When working with a mouse, I prefer one click on an icon rather than to dropping the mouse and pressing two keys. There is lots of room at top of the UI.

But thank you for responding.

slow.robot

Post by slow.robot » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:33 pm

it’s a fair request, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for a dedicated button. I don’t recall ever using a DAW with a clickable undo button—then again, I’ve never needed one, so I may just not have noticed. ctrl-z has been an OS standard for as long as I can remember using PCs, and I think most people can pull that move off with one hand on muscle memory, so at least you shouldn’t have to take your hand off the mouse.

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 am

I can't argue against Ctrl+Z. I'm just so used to word processors, video editors, music notation apps and graphics software that all use a handy undo button, so I hope Ableton will follow the convention. But as you say, it's unlikely one will be added.