Automatic plugin migration (VST2 > VST3)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
B0nd

Automatic plugin migration (VST2 > VST3)

Post by B0nd » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:53 pm

With the recent heavy push from Steinberg dropping support for VST2, I would love a feature in Ableton to support the automatic migration from older project files using VST2 plugins to automatically load the VST3 variants.

This will allow users who previously saved projects using the VST2 versions of their VSTs to then automatically substitute VST3 instances in place of any existing VST2 versions in previously saved projects.

Now on M1 Macs, some plugin vendors don't even supply a VST2 version anymore for the M1 native builds such as Waves & Native Instruments, so the only way to load the projects correctly is via Rosetta. Cubase 12 on apple silicon straight up fully dropped support for VST2 entirely.

Various plugin manufactures now support the requisite internal plugin IDs so that 'automatic migration' from VST2 to VST3 will be possible, such as it is within certain DAWs who support the combining of VST2/VST3 plugins (like FL Studio does).

cpuclub

Re: Automatic plugin migration (VST2 > VST3)

Post by cpuclub » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 pm

Bumping this, as it's becoming increasingly a pain when dealing with Ableton Live in Apple Silicon native modes, and more plugin manufacturers seemingly refuse to make a vst2 instance for a plugin that's apple silicon native in vst3.

A good logic structure might be to have to look for the original VST2, if it's not available/loading then try the VST3, then finally an Audio Unit (where AUHostingCompatibilityService will just pull an Intel version if need be). Izotope and Waves not supporting vst2 anymore has become the bane of my existence in sessions from pre-Apple Silicon native days, and this could immensely help us users for something Logic seems to do automatically.

Otherwise, would it be possible to write a script to do this to als files? At least for VST2 > VST3?

cevahero

Post by cevahero » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 pm

Def. +1

Since M1 I have to manually migrate so many projects cause Plugin Alliance dropped VSt2 as well! In Generl, switching plugins to other formats (so also VST -> AU) would be nice, although I don't know if that's possible technically.

Trensharo

Post by Trensharo » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:58 pm

cpuclub wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 pm
Bumping this, as it's becoming increasingly a pain when dealing with Ableton Live in Apple Silicon native modes, and more plugin manufacturers seemingly refuse to make a vst2 instance for a plugin that's apple silicon native in vst3.

A good logic structure might be to have to look for the original VST2, if it's not available/loading then try the VST3, then finally an Audio Unit (where AUHostingCompatibilityService will just pull an Intel version if need be). Izotope and Waves not supporting vst2 anymore has become the bane of my existence in sessions from pre-Apple Silicon native days, and this could immensely help us users for something Logic seems to do automatically.

Otherwise, would it be possible to write a script to do this to als files? At least for VST2 > VST3?
VST2 SDK is out of development for over half a decade, and unsupported. It is not Apple Silicon native, so expecting plug-in manufacturers to release AS updates for VST2 plug-ins is beyond illogical. You cannot port a plug-in to Apple Silicon if the SDK itself will never be ported to Apple Silicon. Why do you think Cubase dropped support for VST2 on Apple Silicon (only works if run under Rosetta, or on an Intel Mac)?

That being said, many DAWs have features to Migrate VST2 to VST3 automatically when a VST3 version of that plug-in is found. I think a bigger issue is Ableton taking so long to get to VST3.

If they hadn't taken so long, most users would have already been in a position where they were using predominantly VST3s in their projects.

DAWs like Cubase and Cakewalk don't even surface most VST2 plug-ins if a VST3 version is installed. The scanner just skips the VST2 version. So, those users were basically auto-migrated over to VST3 as the plug-ins released VST3 versions. Many (not all) major plug-in vendors have been on VST3 for years, at this point.

MallorcaMalle

Post by MallorcaMalle » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:50 pm

Yes please!!!

JukkaK

Post by JukkaK » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:51 am

Very much yes.

Edit. Btw, is there a way to recognize vst3 in browser? When running in rosetta, browser shows two vst’s and obviously i should prefer vst3, but it does not show which one is which..? Can i filter vst2 out completely?

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:42 pm

+1
It's such a pain in the ass right now to transition from old Intel mac to a new M1 pro with some plugin devs : and here, I point my finger mainly to Native Instruments. First you need to replace every VST2 instance by an Audio Unit, and then when the VST3 version is finally Apple Silicon native (after 2 years) you need to replace the AU with VST3.
If Live could feature VST2>VST3 my whole life would be better...

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:42 pm

How do you ask Ableton "officialy" for a feature ?
I'd truly like the VST2 > VST3 automatic plugin migration feature to be added in a future version of Live...

marius.venor

Post by marius.venor » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:06 am

+1
I really don't want to keep recreating all the settings on my waves vst 2 plugins, just bc I am forced to use vst 3 now...

geeklamb

Post by geeklamb » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:39 am

+1

LethalRush

Post by LethalRush » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:43 pm

+1 for this...

Just migrated from intel to M2 and 100% of my Ableton projects over the last 12 years won't play back correctly due to Ableton not automatically loading VST3 versions of VST2 plugins.

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:20 pm

What's the story with this?
I just updated Komplete Kontrol from 2.6 to 3.0 as I had received the Kontrol S MK3 and now all my older projects that had komplete Kontrol (which was only previously available from the VST folder) won't load the Komplete Kontrol plugin. As a result, I have no idea what plugin was even used on that track.
That's terrible. It should come as a warning from NI in the first place before updating Komplete Kontrol, but also Ableton should make this process easier.

What do I do now?
Updating to KK3 deleted KK (Komplete Kontrol) from the VST(2) folder to create a KK instance in the VST3 folder.
That's all well and good, but now I'm kinda screwed and so will thousands of people relying on the KK wrapper when they use the Native Instruments controllers.
Anyone in the same boat?

tposmith

Post by tposmith » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:49 pm

mrweasel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:20 pm
Anyone in the same boat?
Had to do a fresh install of everything so also in the same boat, if I find a solution I'll post here. Currently using a best guess approach to what I had based on the track naming, does not take into account any tweaks done on the underlying preset....doh!

tposmith

Post by tposmith » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:45 am

I found this thread on the NI forum page regarding the end of life of MK1 keyboard support, there is a link at the bottom of the post to allow a downgrade to KK 2.9 which allowed me to reinstall the VST2 KK plugin so all my projects using the KK wrapper now show in the project again. Might not be the solution for you as the new keyboard might not integrate well for you though.

https://community.native-instruments.co ... nd-of-life

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:39 pm

+1
and VST3>VST2 just in case as well. should vst3 version should be messed up, if there is vst2, why not use that automatically, maybe with a pop-up screen.