Transfer Function (Curve) for parameters mapped to macros

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
spektralisk

Transfer Function (Curve) for parameters mapped to macros

Post by spektralisk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 pm

It would be great to be able to define custom transfer curve (bezier) for each parameter that is mapped to the macro knob (instead of just mix/max range with linear curve). In this way we could define exactly how each mapped param reacts to macro knob movement - this would make it possible to create complex multi-effect knobs that control effect params in very specific way allowing for real deep exploration and unexpected results. I do such things in Alchemy with modmaps and it's mind blowing what results you can get when one knob control many different params in specific way - multiply that by 8 and you have some serious sound mangling tool (really unexpected stuff in terms of sound exploration leading to very unique and rich palette of sounds). I wish we could have this in racks and maybe even for other modulation sources like envelopes and lfos.

Current min/max solution is very limiting and doesn't offer much for making sophisticated parameter control. Additional curve would actually allow to set up some kind of logic between controls as well.

I found a maxforlive solution for this here http://djtechtools.com/2012/02/16/mapul ... r-ableton/ but it doesn't work in 64bit :( Besides it would be better to have dedicated native solution in Live for this.

Cheers!

Stromkraft

Re: Transfer Function (Curve) for parameters mapped to macros

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:02 pm

spektralisk wrote: I found a maxforlive solution for this here http://djtechtools.com/2012/02/16/mapul ... r-ableton/ but it doesn't work in 64bit :( Besides it would be better to have dedicated native solution in Live for this.
Tried this one?

GRID FUNKTION 2.0
"This device allow you to re-arrange the curve of a slider/knob.

Midi map a slider/knob to Funktion In and map a parameter by clicking map and then the parameter.

Draw a new curve, it will be saved with your live set.

You can make your drawing easier by setting a grid for X and Y, zooming X/Y/return to 100% and clearing."
Make some music!

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:10 am

Stromkraft wrote:
spektralisk wrote: I found a maxforlive solution for this here http://djtechtools.com/2012/02/16/mapul ... r-ableton/ but it doesn't work in 64bit :( Besides it would be better to have dedicated native solution in Live for this.
Tried this one?

GRID FUNKTION 2.0
"This device allow you to re-arrange the curve of a slider/knob.

Midi map a slider/knob to Funktion In and map a parameter by clicking map and then the parameter.

Draw a new curve, it will be saved with your live set.

You can make your drawing easier by setting a grid for X and Y, zooming X/Y/return to 100% and clearing."
Yes I found this one too but it can't map 8 params from one device which is inconvenient to use for me. But thanks.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 am

Very interesting, yes.

Like much else, stuff like this ought to be native though.
Make some music!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Agreed but then i wouldn't have the challenge of having a problem to solve :-)

CHeers
D

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you S4racen. This is really nice. Clear interface and 8 params mapped in one device.

Still it would be cool to have native solution but that will do just fine for now. Thanks again!

Btw I like what Bitwig is doing with their new modulators so Ableton take notes :)

orbita

Post by orbita » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Also there seems to be a huge limitation with Smart in that the mappings are not contextual so that when you duplicate a rack containing a Smart device, the new Smart device is still mapped to the parameters in the original rack.

According to Isotonik, this is a limitation in Live's API.

I've also found that the response curve for the Chain fades to be disappointing alternative for 3 reasons -
- on the far left or right, it is not off
- the signal comes in too hot too quickly
- and the fact that its only 127 steps means it's not very smooth

I would dearly love to see a 'Smart' style tool built into Live that allows 1 macro to control multiple parameters, each with their own curves. Or at least a way for M4L devices to be contextually bound so that they can be saved as part of a rack.

dowhep

Post by dowhep » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:59 am

bump for this to be a native live feature

Slow Hand

Post by Slow Hand » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:36 am

+1

This sounds like a great, musical feature, and I'd love to see it.