score editor!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Scaper7

Re: score editor!

Post by Scaper7 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:13 am

Live, being such an accessable program to the musically untrained, has potential to be effectively used by educators in the fields of music and audio. As such, some sort of scoring facilty wouldn't go astray.

There are plenty of happening musicians out there who not only read, but use scores as their prefered way of communicating ideas. Some of my studio clients would certainly find it useful.

And then there are those composing for film ...

Perhaps a score editor could exist as a MIDI plug (third party?) that you only open if you need it.

rasputin

Re: score editor! NO THANKS

Post by rasputin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:34 pm

There are a million things that different musicians want. Score editing is nice, but my personal need for it is 0%. My desire for 3rd party VST controller support is 90%. So everyone has their own preferences.

As much as I love Live, I always thought it was a pity that they decided to incorporate support for various control surfaces right in the program. Here they've added a huge chuck of code and its attendant problems for a minority of users. It's too bad they couldn't have architected a paradigm where you could choose a control surface (or surfaces) during installation or even add it later.

But it doesn't affect my work so ....
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:42 pm

I personally think it's a good idea, however, I think it would be best implemented as an option, so that the user could choose whether to have it on their system or not, thereby increasing or lightening the CPU load considerably.

I myself CAN read musical notation though not particularly well, so wouldn't be inclined to use it, however it would broaden its appeal amongst sight readers and we all know the hassles of having several apps communicating amongst each other.

rectus_dominus

Post by rectus_dominus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 am

Certainly, adding this as an option wouldn't hurt, in my opinion... But only if it worth it, cause spending weeks to add this feature for only a small percentage of Live users is not productive. It also needs to be stable and useful, if it is implemented

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Would recommend if its an easy bug-free solution that doesn't divert Ableton's current momentum of innovation. Last thing i need is a score editor crashing live because it conflicts with my plugins or hardware.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Ableton 9.2 Suite + Push, Elektron Octratrack, Nord Lead A1, Nord Drum 2 + Nord Pad, Mono Evolver Desktop, microKorg, SidStation, Nanoloop 1.3-2.01, Mackie 1402 VLZPro, Edirol FA-66

noisetonepause

Re: This would be rubbish waste of cpu in Live

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:12 pm

I'd really like that. For some things it's a nicer way of visualising the music than the piano roll.

Also, if they made it the default view it might keep some of the commoners away.

+1 from Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:49 pm

+1

score edit is essential for arranging acoustic instruments, i.e. making film music.
live has all functions for film music - even an own orchestra library - but no score editor to use it in a professional way!
and score edit is not just for print out of ready produced music (which can be done with other programs):
it´s important for the interactive composing process while producing!

without score live will always stay mainly at the club music scene.
i like club music - but there are much more possibilities out there!

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:49 am

+1 Can't believe it isn't already a feature really.

WarrGuitarGreg

Post by WarrGuitarGreg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:14 am

The lack of a score feature is causing me to bend over and take it in the rear from either Sibelius (which has lousy MIDI import functionality) or Logic (which requires me to manage time signatures and I don't really feel like learning how to do that in Logic - yuck).

I do not need the score editor from hell on steroids. All I need is the ability to print a clip and change the clef etc.

deHaan

Re:

Post by deHaan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:18 am

photonicrecords wrote:mr. ergonomics: same could be said of most things in ableton, but I still choose to, for example, mix and sometimes master in ableton... anyway, i'm really just talking about a really simple piano roll/midi to score/notation functionality.. so I can get my string players to try my synth parts... As of now I'm exporting midi clips into logic (then I have to re-do all the time sig changes: a big pain).
+ 1
I often use brass players in my projects, and it would be really nice with a simple score editor so you easily could try your ideas with them...
Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

Nzamata

Re:

Post by Nzamata » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:24 am

rewind wrote:I don't want this.
So do I. I really don't want this.
I mean, you can work a specific gear or software for this "application".
I cam't imagine this feature in a Live session.
APC40/ MicroKorg/ MPC 2000/ Vynil records/ Nag Champa/ Zanpakut? (???

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:35 am

http://www.computermusicnotation.com/content/?page _id=22

http://www.harvestworks.org/index.php?option=com_c ontent&view=article&id=324:maxscore-using-conventi onal-notation-in-maxmsp-and-max-4-live-april-4&cat id=3:newsflash

MaxScore For Live

MaxScore For Live is a visual notation editor for Live based on MaxScore. It is thoroughly integrated into Live via the API provided by Max/MSP and allows the transcription and editing of Live MIDI clips. There are two Live devices:

MaxScore4Live.ClipView which displays, for each individual track, the content of a selected MIDI clip in standard music notation, and
MaxScore4Live.MasterScore which is the actual editor and of which only a single instance should be used in a Live Set. The MaxScore4Live. MasterScore device has a graphical user interface that offers a number of convenient tools, among them: intelligent transcription with key and clef finder, a percussion map and a set of menus and palettes for easy navigation and interactive editing.

stevegoold

Post by stevegoold » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm

I would absolutely LOVE to see a score editor in Live! I agree that midi editing needs a lot of improvement though. We should be able to assign notes to midi channels for example.

reganjo1955

Post by reganjo1955 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:58 am

Score Editor
I'm more comfortable with a traditional music score than with piano roll notation, but I can see arguments against a built in score editor for Live as others have said. Still I would then like to have a way to export groups of clips or tracks, even entire sets as music xml, a mass of clips or some such idea so that an import to Finale wouldn't be such a huge grind going track by track exporting clips (please tell me I've missed a major feature in live 8 and you can already do this!) I also notice that alot of dance music is syncopated and western notation makes that more difficult then it really is - so the piano roll notation is in some ways better than the classic way. Max score does something like you might want, but it is too manual and slow for my taste. If Finale could do Rewire that might not be so bad... I know Sibelius does this but I am waiting on that at the moment since I already sunk a thousand bucks over the last 10 years on Finale... Crossgrade could be an option.

Improved midi editing
Please, please, please implement the merged midi editing capability as is done with ProTools. What a score does for me is to see at a glance where the harmony, counterpoint etc... lines up. Sadly I do not have the memory to keep all this straight, or rather it takes me time to put it all together mentally. If I could see color coded tracks in a combined/merged view this would improve my workflow 3-fold.