On/Off button to the Midi Mapping Multi Assignment

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
topey

On/Off button to the Midi Mapping Multi Assignment

Post by topey » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 am

Here is one example when multi-assignment would be nice to be able to turn off:

When making music, there comes situations that something got to be adjusted quickly, for example the simpler sound got to be changed. If multi-assignment is on, I have to check which channels or buttons are free to be assigned for the adjusting, and thats time consuming if there are 100-200 of them.

if I just use the buttons that happends to be available, while making adjustments to the simpler, in somewhere else, probably in other tracks audio-effect, reverb, or delay is getting unadjusted when the parameters are changing with simpler adjustments.

So my feature wish for version 8 or version 7 update is that multiassignment feature had a on/off button.

But anyway ability to control several functions by one button is great in many situations.

All the best with the developement of the Live 8

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi,

For now, are you aware that you can re-order mappings in the mapping Browser? That's a rather easy way to see if mappings are unique or not.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

topey

Post by topey » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for alternative workflow suggestion.

I probably just leave one or two Midi-kbrd channel empty for the temporary assignments, which might be in a way probably even better, than wished "turning of a multi assignment," as it more organized way to do it.

You mean by re-order, that the assignments can be sorted by the channel, or name or, or that they can be dragged in a list to the wanted order?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:17 pm

topey wrote: You mean by re-order, that the assignments can be sorted by the channel, or name or, or that they can be dragged in a list to the wanted order?
Hi,

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry for being unclear: you can sort by "key" or "MIDI note", so that you see if anything is assigned twice.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

topey

Post by topey » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm

OK

Other wish for this Midi mapping is that sometimes=quite often I find myself from the situation, where only reason to reach to the mouse/laptop keys from the keyboard is when I have to toggle between session and arrangement view.

So, another feature wish is to change the session/arrangement view toggle button to the midi-mapable button.

topey

Post by topey » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:16 pm

... and as I am still working with these midi mappings, one feature wish more:

When turning a midi-mapped knob or hitting a button, there is in status bar a info:

Ch-1 / Mixer / Track Volume is waiting for a pick up

But it disappears when the controller has reached the level.

It might be usefull if it always was visible for what is current knob effecting...

To avoid situation where instead of subtle adjustment of reverb a master volume changes, or nice vibrato changes to sawtooth sound.