b11 - Track Solo Does Not Automate When Recorded

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
wmayhem

b11 - Track Solo Does Not Automate When Recorded

Post by wmayhem » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

There is still no way to automate track soloing...???

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi,

No, there is not. You can post in the forum Wishlist if you like. I'll move this thread there anyway, as the Live 8 beta bugs section is reserved for Live 8 bugs.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 pm

It has never been possible.
+1 for this feature.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

wmayhem

Post by wmayhem » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Yeah, it would simplify mixing. Logic has had it for ages. Wonder if Ableton's tech framework makes it difficult or what? Seems like a simple add.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi,

It's more of a specification problem: solo are generally a good tool for, well, soloing a track while you're doing a mix or whatever of the kind. Once you've automated your solos, how are you supposed to use the solo-as-diagnosis feature?

So I guess there are use cases where it still would be desirable to have something looking like solo-automation, for instance, to record a perfomance featuring soloing. But that needs to not come in the way of people using solo as solo switches while mixing/listening to their track.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

wmayhem

Post by wmayhem » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm

I see your point. If you had an additional master solo automation button on/off, then solo could still be used for diagnosing a track in an automated mix. I believe that Logic has this feature. Thanks.

Calhoun

Post by Calhoun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:42 am

I also would like to have the option of automating solo. Good argument for not automating it, but on the other hand, I would love to be able to solo my return tracks at certain points as part of the performance.

Hermanus

Re: b11 - Track Solo Does Not Automate When Recorded

Post by Hermanus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:13 am

I was about to create a topic for solo automation, but here it already exists :mrgreen:

+1000 for solo automation, it's a shame because it's the obvious one_ and it lacks

Come on Abes, are we forced to wait after Live 9 for this?

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 pm

GROUP SOLO RECORD!

max2f

Post by max2f » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

It's more of a specification problem: solo are generally a good tool for, well, soloing a track while you're doing a mix or whatever of the kind. Once you've automated your solos, how are you supposed to use the solo-as-diagnosis feature?

So I guess there are use cases where it still would be desirable to have something looking like solo-automation, for instance, to record a perfomance featuring soloing. But that needs to not come in the way of people using solo as solo switches while mixing/listening to their track.
Amaury
at first it looks like an argument but i think it's not that important. people do tons of weird stuff during their mixing process - like equalizing. there is automation for that too, isn't it? i suppose soloing is a little bit different but not too much... now that i think about it: theres the function for exclusive soloing what could be used during the mixing of a track that has solo automation.

thing is: if you perform you definitely want to use solo buttons for breaks etc because they are straightforward (there might already exist some workaraounds that arent straightforward) and if you listen to the recorded perfomance (i actually build tracks from the session view - the jam way of live...) the break is just gone.

thats really lame. and its a pain in the ass.
+1
some people i spoke about it didnt understand it neither, and complaint about it.
so another +2

just would be great to have...

cheers
max

Blip

Post by Blip » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 am

+9... came here looking for where to find this in Live. Nowhere!

mylkoa

Re:

Post by mylkoa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 am

wmayhem wrote:I see your point. If you had an additional master solo automation button on/off, then solo could still be used for diagnosing a track in an automated mix.
That seems like the solution right there...

One button for recording live solos, and another for on/off previewing that can't be recorded...

+1 for that solution :)

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 am

+1

ildottorgonzo

Post by ildottorgonzo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:50 pm

the only solution i found after tryng in every way is to record my performance in another software
with the result that i can't edit the resulting file in separate tracks... :cry:

blobbyghast

Post by blobbyghast » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 am

+1 this would be great. so much work to mute every track when you have lots going on!