The Automap 3 Mixer Control petition for Live 8

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: The Automap 3 Mixer Control petition for Live 8

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 14, 2009 4:16 am

mazmith wrote:i get mixer control and plugin control with the novation by essentially tricking ableton into thinking it is another controller that has these capabilities. i set the control surface in live to the bcr2000, and the input/output to automap. then i see which cc#s and such the bcr2000 sends to live and mimic those settings on the novation. you then have instant mapping of all of live's mixer controls/fx/instruments. it takes about a day to set up, but it works well. i have also use the trigger finger with the bcr's controls, so i know it works with several controllers. just find the data sent from a controller that has instant mapping capabilities and copy that.
Are you able to get Mackie emulation to the degree that you get names of tracks on the right lcd in the Remote? I've thought about doing exactly what you're talking about, but by mimicking mackie control so I get names of tracks hopefully.

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Thu May 14, 2009 4:39 am

i can't say, cause i am using the nocturn. no lcd. :(
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

Credo

Post by Credo » Sun May 17, 2009 4:55 pm

+1
I also would like to be able to automaticly control Live devices and instruments with Nocturne
>>
MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, 3 Gb Ram, OS X 10.6.8
Novation Ultranova, Launchpad, Nocturn
MOTU Ultralite
Elektron Machinedrum + Monomachine
Future Retro XS
OTO Biscuit

OlafOverDJ

Re: Automap 3 Mixer Control. Why don't we have it?

Post by OlafOverDJ » Sun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm

DJ RAY wrote:Thanks for your response. To have mixer control would be a major work flow improvement, and a positive selling point. But I sense that it's not being supported due to the new APC controller. I wish they would just support both. Would be a great time saver and an excellent performance booster for those of us with Novation controllers.
Its a mess - software today haves more and more bundled and dedicated hardware. It becomes more and more the taste of a pharmacy-store:
The only one price for that specific medicine.

Personally - I dont like that very much.

So I look into future - Maybe M$ Office users have to use in the future a dedicated mouse to use M$-Office to use all features ...

Threshold Productions

Post by Threshold Productions » Sun May 24, 2009 8:49 am

Bump (with my sexy rump)

+1
Threshold Productions
Erotic housemusic for the modern housewife
http://myspace.com/thresholdproductions

malenko

Post by malenko » Tue May 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes yes yes!!!! +1.

C'mon sort it out Ableton! listene to your users, please

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:00 am

Some of my mk2 buttons have stopped lighting up and now i can't get out of stupid 'advanced' (retarded) mode.

+1 for decent integration...as far as I can tell novation have done sweet FA from automap 2 to automap 3 and the hardware isn't much better either. The ableton integration just doesn't exist. Why does this DAW have to be treated like it's a special case - even some cheap and relatively unknown DAWs have proper integration with automap.
mazmith wrote:i get mixer control and plugin control with the novation by essentially tricking ableton into thinking it is another controller that has these capabilities. i set the control surface in live to the bcr2000, and the input/output to automap. then i see which cc#s and such the bcr2000 sends to live and mimic those settings on the novation. you then have instant mapping of all of live's mixer controls/fx/instruments. it takes about a day to set up, but it works well. i have also use the trigger finger with the bcr's controls, so i know it works with several controllers. just find the data sent from a controller that has instant mapping capabilities and copy that.
This guy is onto something...I only have one midi controller though and have no idea how you would

"find the data sent from a controller that has instant mapping capabilities and copy that"

or even what it means.

Could you elaborate? Maybe post a template and how to use it?
Cheers

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:48 pm

+1

And make it snappy yeah!

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:08 pm

i have been told that my understanding of how ableton instant maps is not exactly correct, but what i did works. the only controller i have mimicked is the bcr 2000, and it works just fine. i have mimicked the bcr on my nocturn and my trigger finger(my TF never gave me the option to dump the instant mappings, although it is listed as being possible). i am not in my studio at the moment, nor do i have written down any of the cc#s or channels for the bcr 2000, but i can only recommend using another controller that has instant map capabilities and dump them to the controller in ableton's midi preferences. then, write down all of the cc#'s and midi channel(s) used for that instant mapped controller. next, copy those parameters/channels/values to your automap controller, then go back into ableton's preferences and set your non-automap device to your automap device, next set the input/output to the actual device your using. a lil tricky, but give it a try, you should then have instant mapping with your novation controller. hope this helps.

lustforlive

Post by lustforlive » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:05 am

mazmith - can you post a step by step? I would appreciate it as I want to try the same thing but I can't quite figure out your directions. ie, in Live midi preferences, there is a dump button, but where is the output that I can see so that I can write down the values, cc#s etc.

Thanks!

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:27 pm

on the bcr, you can look at the values being sent right on the controller itself. with m-audio gear, you should be able to see the values with the enigma software. also, once you have a controller that is working with ableton instant mapping, just manual map over the controls to look right in live to see what the values are. also, using the freeware, midi-OX should tell you any values a controller is sending. those are the methods that i used, in addition to the steps in my previous post.

frabo

Post by frabo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:54 pm

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

yes, YOU can ... !

;-)

ghunter

Post by ghunter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:13 am

+1

cannot believe this hasnt been done by now. that and time-stretch in sampler.

kristian

Post by kristian » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:03 pm

big big +1!

Sucks to change between Automap universl and Live´s "Automap-but-really-isn´t" preset

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:30 pm

+1