midi controllable mute/solo for Individual Impulse Sounds

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
meng2000

midi controllable mute/solo for Individual Impulse Sounds

Post by meng2000 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:40 am

...and/or individual ability to direct a sound to the sends or other tracks....not the whole machine, as it is now....

Would be very handy indeed....

Greets,

M.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:31 am

you can already do it: create an audio track with it's audio in connected to the impulse track. in the sub-menu (under audio in), you have all the impulse sounds individually.

Meng2000

Post by Meng2000 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:12 am

Thanks....I probably should print the manual....

Greets,

M.

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:07 pm

but still, don't forget the midi assignable mute/solo switches for impulse!
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:15 pm

@peeddrroo

thats true, but so live is loosing there unike "small & smart" -concept.

i dont see any reason for the abletons to update the mute-function asap.

@warabunga i dont understand your answer - do you mean there is a midi-assign for this, or do you conform with me?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:31 pm

it may not be "small and smart", but it's definitely more powerfull: not only can you solo/mute individual impulse sounds, but you can also put effects on them: delay, filter, and so...
as it will take you time to make the mapping, it doesn't change muc h to add a few tracks.
the ableton team said they're working on some way of hiding/grouping the tracks. this will save space on the layout.

i didn't get what warabungga meant either...

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:25 pm

@peeddrroo

a hide or folder-function sounds very nice, in this case, well, we dont need mute in impulse. restless whishless i would be, if there will come a function, witch "cleans" muted seqeunzes, means: after record-automation, there schould be a command "clean muted regions" and so the arrangment becomes a more "you here what you see" flair. well, it dosnt make sense in the impulse-case, but i often work whith mute-zones by real auddio- or midifiles, and there i would say a big hello.

asta kanister peeddrroo

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:20 pm

@ perdoo
what was so confusing about my message?
maybe I'm missing something out, but in my humble opinion there should be something like a mute and solo button that is MIDI assignable. well, I repeat the same stuff?! I'd like to control the solo/mute parts of the impulse like the solo/mute buttons in live... hmmm, is this understandable? I know you can do it now, but NOT with a midi controller. and I also know that you can create new tracks and root the audio to these ones... but again, lets keep it small and simple :-) and btw. you can't solo a track by midi ONLY for impulse...
well, I'm shure they will fix that soon...
or am I not getting to point?

the more annoying part is to choose presets by hand!!!
in my opinion they should save EVERY sample and it's properties in the clip! so you could just change one or two samples without having to create another preset. I'm using impulse intensivly since 2 weeks and I already have about 10 presets... imagine in one year!!!

does anybody have some useful tipps for working with midi?
recording in the arrangement doesnt record preset changes, or am I tooo dumb again?

vote for midi clip props in the clip! fuck presets ;-)
--
macbook pro | Leopard | 2.33 Ghz | 3 Gig Ram | Lemur | Monome 256 | BCF/BCR2000 | Faderfox LX2
I'm Spoiled!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:47 am

@warabunga

no, there is no way to record preset change either in "real" midi nor in vsti :cry:
the only way is again :cry: to prepaair your midi-files with the pc-number. but this works only for "real" midi or "ram"-vsti. impulse takes his samples at every pc-change from hd and this takes a while, so it isnt realy true-time. but on the other hand , in an arrangement-situation, live should know which samples came to next, so it could be possible.
i agree with you, the abletons should think again about this, and i believe, they do. :)

warabunga

Post by warabunga » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:59 pm

Guest wrote:@warabunga
the only way is again to prepaair your midi-files with the pc-number. but this works only for "real" midi or "ram"-vsti.
so it is possible???
any way, but the mouse, would be fine for me... could you please explain like step by step? how do the pc numbers relate to presets?
Guest wrote: i agree with you, the abletons should think again about this, and i believe, they do. :)
well I hope so! maybe we should talk to them!
tnx
--
I'm Spoiled!

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:55 am

@warabunga

-select your midi-file in edit-view
-make shure, that you see the "notes"-window
-there are a bank-, sub-bank- & pc- "window"
-hack your numbers in (note: in some midis or vsti 0=1)
-repeat this steps for all midiflies which should be changed

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:07 am

@ warabunga (the second)

i´ve forgott:

no, we shouldnt talk to the abletons. i think they do great work, and they now were bombarded by wishes enough and simpler & impulse & all livefx are "care-packets" and not their main-work. <- if it is easy for they to implemend, they will do (i believe), if not, there are a lot not-yet-functions which are much more importand.
if you realy need a pc-changes in your drums or realy mute-function, use a reaktor-ens, all of them are able to do this.