More precise automation (curves,accurate value selection,etc

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Android Bishop

More precise automation (curves,accurate value selection,etc

Post by Android Bishop » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:17 pm

One of the things that bugs me about Live is its really primitive event automation. Step it up to the game that already out there fellas. Look at tools such as Logic or even FLStudio and the things you can do with event automation. Edit precise values for events, create beizer curves for transitions between events, etc. Even FLStudio has more advanced event automation IN ITS PIANO ROLL. Live needs an overhaul in this department.

longjohns

Re: More precise automation (curves,accurate value selection,etc

Post by longjohns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:00 am

sure

one thing you might look into in the meantime is midi event thinning (or rather, preventing it), in the options.txt realm. there are some thread references to it

..which can help with preserving accuracy of recorded envelopes (i.e. not turning curves into zig-zags, i.e. preserving/creating more breakpoints on the envelope)

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:21 am

Android Bishop wrote:One of the things that bugs me about Live is its really primitive event automation. Step it up to the game that already out there fellas. Look at tools such as Logic or even FLStudio and the things you can do with event automation. Edit precise values for events, create beizer curves for transitions between events, etc. Even FLStudio has more advanced event automation IN ITS PIANO ROLL. Live needs an overhaul in this department.
I totally agree - I think Live 9 NEEDS to be all about automation

Walkingmachine

Post by Walkingmachine » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:24 am

+1 totally agree!! the fact that you can't even do curves is pretty amateur hour!

livingroom-studio

Post by livingroom-studio » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:05 pm

I agree... Curves for Automations would be nice. Same for Velocity would be nice too... And a "COPY VELOCITY" would be nice too to copy velocity settings to another clip ;)

paq

Post by paq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:29 pm

livingroom-studio wrote:... And a "COPY VELOCITY" would be nice too to copy velocity settings to another clip ;)
hmmm.. i just thought about this one, and it should be possible for you in live 8 by extracting the groove from the clip and applying it to another.
nothin notable here.

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:32 pm

BLOWN AWAY that i can't automate velocity in the mini channel right under the clip.

add me to the list of people who feel this must be added.

SeanieBoi8

Post by SeanieBoi8 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:25 pm

I agree But you cant honestly compare Live to FLStudio in almost every other area FLStudio is in the byte age. Even Calling it FLStudio is presumptuous at best. But Fruityloops is amazing for creating simple Hip Hop RnB Dance beats or tunes to export or rewire into a proper DAW. Many hit songs were probably made in it and many more hits in Ableton Live

Then Logic is a different beast altogether more in line with Pro Tools. Digital Performer. Cubase etc
Ableton cant really be compared to any other program out there its sorta unique.

Everyone I know who actually uses Ableton Live, Live or in the studio also has a traditional DAW Yeah if it had a few more key features implemented then it could directly compete with those programs.

But i don't think Ableton is rushing to do this although they are doing it with every new version and keeping with their paradigm which is good I want comping NOW but if it doesn't come Ill just carry on using my current DAW for what I use it for and Ableton for what I use it for although I wish I could use Ableton only but its just not possible right now "SIMPLE ISN'T IT"

Having said that Ableton Needs proper automation as it fits in with the workflow and paradigm of the program now and where it is heading.

Now on the other hand Propellerhead Record is "NEITHER - OR" but Ableton IS "Get It Got It Good"

I don't normally mention other software in my posts only here because OP did

And I agree with the OP

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Automation snap-to-grid on/off FTW

maxx.copppens

Post by maxx.copppens » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Up for mee too! I miss the automation curve tool like you have in logic!
Keep On Making Beats...

EdRyan

Post by EdRyan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:50 am

Yep. Quantiable automation and curves are a big miss for me as well !

Haywire

Post by Haywire » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 pm

+1 for the curves... moved from fl studio to ableton and dont see why i should want to rewire fl back trhough it for something so menial!!!!

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure where you heard such things, but I couldn't disagree more. All we do is work as much as we can to deliver as much value as we can, while trying to 'make sense' in the way features interact with one another. Be sure that all our engineers are busy, and that we in the specification team think hard to have a software that is usable, and more of all, fun to use for musicians.

I'm sorry that the feature you're looking forward to is not in Live. It doesn't mean that it is the end of the world. Look at Pro Tools or Cubase, they survived until now without Bezier curves for automation ;). Not pointing fingers, just saying.

Kind regards,
Amaury
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123964

on the list, somewhere.