midi knob assigned to clip trigger WITH RANGE

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
kvitamin

midi knob assigned to clip trigger WITH RANGE

Post by kvitamin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Normally when you assign a midi knob to a function you get a range option, from 0-64, the knob turns on an effect 65-127, it turns off. But when you assign a midi knob to trigger a clip, that option is not available.

I just realized this would solve one of my big problems because I'm running out of midi notes to trigger clips, but if I could assign knobs to trigger clips, then with Bomes, I would get hundreds of buttons from just a few knobs. You could assign 128 clips to one knob, then assign the one knob to buttons using Bomes and really open up the possibilities.

Any thoughts?

Amaury

Re: midi knob assigned to clip trigger WITH RANGE

Post by Amaury » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi,

Not trying to discourage you wishing, by as for your problem: are you aware that there is a launch button that you can map, per track? It appears only when in MIDI/Key map mode, in the track status (where the pie/countdown is when a clip is playing on the track).

Mapping these, plus a knob or two buttons to navigate the scene, you can easily launch any clip with a minimum number of controls. Less immediate than having a button per clip, but a good alternative when you anyway have many clips.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

schmermer

Post by schmermer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm

sorry for resurrecting such an ancient thread but do you think you or someone could elaborate on that last post?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:05 pm

schmermer wrote:sorry for resurrecting such an ancient thread but do you think you or someone could elaborate on that last post?
Hi,

I'm happy to elaborate, I'm not sure how. Maybe I re-state in other words: you can, in Live, assign one MIDI button or Computer keyboard key to launch the selected clip of a given track. You can find a screenshot of it on page 208 of the Live 8 manual.

These controls appears only when turning MIDI or Key map mode ON.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team