follow in a track to cue and play the next audiofile

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
vandeloow

follow in a track to cue and play the next audiofile

Post by vandeloow » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:03 pm

hi,
nice will be, a little sequencer option in a track slot, where you can select the transition between the first and next audio file in a track slot....

like this:

if the first audioclip is finish with playing, then play the next audiofile....

something like this

sorry, i'm from the televisionbusiness...and there you can do something similar in lightnigs software thunder or deko

think about it

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:05 pm

This idea has been tossed around a bit before.. it is a good one.

-It would be good to be able to make something repeat 4 times, and then go to next clip

-It would be good to be able to record a clip, playback, then the next 'record' triggers the next clip down... so you can build up a stack of clips quickly

-It would be good to be able to play a clip, wait 3 bars, then play the clip again and repeat. This would make some samples much less repetetive, without the need for a lot of space in the recording.

-It would be good to 'automate' the scenes travelling from chorus to verse, lets say.

A possible answer would either be a 'function clip' or a function slot/slot spacer that could be assigned variables(I'll call it the' function arrow'). it is much like a repeat sign in music which you write it at the end of the bar, and you can say "repeat 4 times" before continuing

The clip could be put between two existing clips to automate the process, or maybe it fits (somehow) between slots vertically (an arrow crossing two clips).

It could look like a fat arrow, which you can click on to bring up an inspector for it's details. You can drag it out from the browser, saving new ones gives you pre-made ones to drag out in the future.

I think this is a much more flexible approach than simply changing the clips default playback.

I realize that it has some implications on the arrange window, however i believe that could be worked out, by letting the arranger make arrows of it's own.

(Think of the possibilites if these 'function arrows' could go in a horizontal ie, across track motion in the session view.... It could be like snakes and ladders! (A board game which hopefully some of you know)

I believe this is a powerful concept, well worth looking into.

BTW. you know how double clicking on an effect in the browser will add the that effecct to the current track?

Well, can the same please happen for a selected clip and spare slot? Just to keep things homogenous.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:21 pm

=> => => =>

\
------\ The Function arrow
------/
/

After reading a post by Smuggers i think the arrow could be midi-asignable. If you put some options like:

a) move straight along arrow after previous clip is finished

b) repeat last clip 4 (etc) times before moving along to next clip

c) repeat indefinantly until triggerred by MIDI or ASCII key then move along arrow

Smuggers request was that he wanted to be able to have a single MIDI key to move along to the next scene. This could be easily achieved by creating a function arrow, which has option (c) enabled.

Then dragging a copy of this arrow out of the browser multiple times to place inbetween scenes.

The arrow could flash like a slot playback button when it recieved a trigger message before going to the next scene/ clip, making the direction clear and understandable

I think this would be a useful addition that does not add complexity for 'simple' users, and adds a flexible approach for advanced users.

If you did not want the arrows, then don't drag them on the session. easy.

They do not affect your clips.

They work like a clip, and are instantly understandable in their function.

I could possibly do a mockup...

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:37 pm

*bump*

What do you think Ableton??
:D