Global groove needs to come back for LIVE beat making!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Ernst

Re: Global groove needs to come back for LIVE beat making!

Post by Ernst » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Oh, come on - have you even read my posts? No, it's not there, it's like you said - allmost there. Which is a huge difference. Nobody is debating the improvements with the goove pool, they are great. The problem is they also took away a (for some people, not everyone, I know) major feature. Just have an option to be able to keep the old work flow. Less mouse clicks are crucial in a live situation.
3phase wrote:it´s still there as mentioned before..
and when you jus safe a single simple swing in your groovepool everything is allmost as it was...

There are however big improovments with a groovepool and different strong swing patterns...

when you want apply more swing during a live set but have loops that have some natural swing allready you use a weeker swing quantize on them while having the straight grooves on the heavy swing groove...

with some experimentation you can get good results reswinging materials that wouldnt normaly allow to reswinged with the same factor...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 pm

it s still there...

i had the same impression at first.. they just missed to reimplemet the old swing factors propperly.. i use the sp 1200 one instead...

the 73% with pre quantisation on 100% gives a pretty close result to the od swing settings...

i like it eveb more ..is a bit more sloppy... and you have the global swing amount you might limit to 100% in the max
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Ernst

Post by Ernst » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 am

No, I think you misunderstood. It's not the actual swing "feel" of previous versions I'm talking about. That's easy to recreate. It's the way you work with grooves/swing. You can't have a default/automatic (what is called "record quantization" in the menu) quantization with swing anymore only straight notes or triplets.

In previous versions you had something called "Default Groove" in the preferences under "Record, Warp, Launch" where you could pick "swing 16". Now, if you picked "sixteenth-note quantization" under "Edit/Record Qantization" in the menu and chose whatever percentage of "Global Groove Amount" (right before the metronome button in the left top corner), everything you recorded would get the same groove/swing without you having to apply it first.

Conceptually, it seems very logical to me, with the new non-destructive grooves, to be able to pick one of these as your default groove in the same way as you previously could pick "16 swing" under "Preferences". This would keep the previous work flow as well as being a great improvement since the new grooves are non-destructive. And if you wanted to keep it like it is now, you could just pick "none" as your default groove. I would also like to still be able to un-quantize, like before, by cntrl-Z (undo) right after a take.

I'm starting to realize that maybe not so many people have used the "Default Groove" set to "swing 16" in previous versions. It was brilliant because you could still get straight (no swing) quantization by just setting the "Global Groove Amount" to zero.
3phase wrote:it s still there...

i had the same impression at first.. they just missed to reimplemet the old swing factors propperly.. i use the sp 1200 one instead...

the 73% with pre quantisation on 100% gives a pretty close result to the od swing settings...

i like it eveb more ..is a bit more sloppy... and you have the global swing amount you might limit to 100% in the max
Last edited by Ernst on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ernst

Post by Ernst » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:54 pm

A BUMP in the vain hope that somebody from Ableton might comment on this.

Ernst

Post by Ernst » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:18 pm

And another bump...

evon

Post by evon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Willyum wrote:Global groove is gone in 8 and I really think that was a bad decision. I love the grove pool, but they should have left an option to use one of the groove files as a global groove. If you forget to manually add a groove to 1 clip in your song, it can really through things off... Then you have to figure out which clips are causing problems.

That is one of the reasons I am still using 7.
fe real!

Xelat

Post by Xelat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:47 am

Guys, Ableton implemented better groove management in 8. It's more flexible than the groove option in 7 and works great to prepare for and during live gigs.

This should solve your problem:

1. Choose a groove in the groove library and drag it to the groove pool. You can also create your own dummy groove that is not groovig.
2. Click on one clip, then select all clips (Apple A on a Mac)
3. Select the dummy groove in the clip view window - All clips will be assigned to the same groove instantly.
4. To change a groove simply drag a new groove from the groove library to the dummy groove in the groove pool

Because you can select some or all clips of a song when you play it or before you play it and then change the groove before or during you play it. The cool thing is that you don't need to assign groove to every clip.

Hope that helps,
X.
MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, OS X 1.06, Live 8.1.3

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:44 am

Another clear case of someone who needs to RTFM :D

naph

Post by naph » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:33 am

still, i think everything could be solved if in the groove pool we had an option to set a "default groove for this liveset" should be more than enough, no?

this way every new clip will have the default groove selected, and you could go on swinging and rtecording live without having to interrupt your workflow.. right?

djVagelles

Post by djVagelles » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:59 am

In version 7 I used 16 swing, global groove amount 60. What groove option would this be in live 8?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 pm

The global thingie is still there, though. I had it mapped to a CC in my default set, which I
modified for Live 8. The global groove is gone fron the GUI, but the mapping is still there, and
it works...

naph

Post by naph » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:48 pm

i think that everyone replying that global groove is still there should read the whole post carefully, then will understand where the problem lies.

you can't have a default groove for your clips, and that's what's fucking up his workflow. i agree on this. there should be somewhere a way to choose which groove will be applied to any newly created clips, without having to change them using the groove selector. this could be a live's option, or (i think better) a specific set's option.

Ernst

Post by Ernst » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 pm

And a BUMP for Ableton...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:41 pm

I hear you Ernst! I don't know why most everyone else here is having a hard time understanding what you are saying! You could be totally mouse-free before, with a knob assigned to groove amount. 0% groove was straight. Clips could be automatically assigned a swing setting in preferences. No mouse needed. Now you have to manually set groove for each clip, even if you are setting all clips at once.

I agree, the old groove way had some very very neat functionality that's totally gone now. It would help if there was a setting in Preferences to automatically assign a certain groove to everything. It would be even better if there were a way to have both the old way and the new way without losing anything from either!

Ernst

Post by Ernst » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Thank you ethios4, that's exactly what I'm talking about! :)
ethios4 wrote:I hear you Ernst! I don't know why most everyone else here is having a hard time understanding what you are saying! You could be totally mouse-free before, with a knob assigned to groove amount. 0% groove was straight. Clips could be automatically assigned a swing setting in preferences. No mouse needed. Now you have to manually set groove for each clip, even if you are setting all clips at once.

I agree, the old groove way had some very very neat functionality that's totally gone now. It would help if there was a setting in Preferences to automatically assign a certain groove to everything. It would be even better if there were a way to have both the old way and the new way without losing anything from either!