Macro controls with relative macro controls

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Veiss

Macro controls with relative macro controls

Post by Veiss » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:38 am

I feel like i have done this before with live, but can't figure out how to do it now... How do you map multiple knobs to the same macro and maintain their original values and move relative to the macro?

zalo

Re: Macro controls with relative macro controls

Post by zalo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 am

map mode?

Veiss

Post by Veiss » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 am

no i know how to map, but when you map multiple knobs to the same macro knob they all set to zero and all the knobs follow the exact position of the macro knob. I want to map a few knobs to one macro and have the original positions of the knobs be changed relative to the macro knob.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 am

Might want to choose Value Scaling for your MIDI takeover mode.. Cause this will increase the macro starting from where it is currently at. Might be misunderstanding you..

Veiss

Post by Veiss » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:51 am

No midi involved yet. Simply mapping multiple knobs to one macro knob and turning that macro knob with the mouse makes all the mapped knobs follow the same value that the macro is currently at. I'll try to be as clear as i can... You have a chord device (or any device, the principle is the same) you set the first three shifts to +3 st, +6 st, and + 12 st. Now what i want to happen is after mapping those three knobs to the same macro knob i want them to maintain their original 3, 6, and 12 values, and when i turn the macro knob up 1 click they will shift to 4, 7, and 13. In the ableton manual they say macro knobs are great for morphing synths or whatever by controlling multiple parameters at once. I would think macros would be quite useless if they did not support this simple functionality.. I know it's there, why can't i do it...

Maybe it's not there.... BULLSHIT, shits weak :evil:

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Just set the respective max & min values in the mapping browser...

Veiss

Post by Veiss » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah that's the only way to have separate values. Offsetting the value like that is pretty weak though.. Is it really that hard to just have a relative mapping mode? I just want to be able to go through all the ranges of a knob and have them offset. A simple offset control in the macro map window would suffice. The min and max is limiting...

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Veiss wrote: The min and max is limiting...
Well you can always set the min values to -36/-33/-27 and the max to +27/+30/+36 which would give you the same limit as if you put the 1st one to the absolute minimum (-36) and the 3rd one to the absolute max with a relative offset. Just chose those numbers for this example...

SalvatoreCreme

Post by SalvatoreCreme » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Dexes wrote:
Veiss wrote: The min and max is limiting...
Well you can always set the min values to -36/-33/-27 and the max to +27/+30/+36 which would give you the same limit as if you put the 1st one to the absolute minimum (-36) and the 3rd one to the absolute max with a relative offset. Just chose those numbers for this example...
How did this work for people? I'm surprised that it's been 10 years and Ableton hasn't added a relative mapping option!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:44 pm

It's been in Live for years actually. When you're in MIDI map map mode, click on a control and turn the knob/button/etc on your controller you want to map to that parameter. Now look down at the Status Bar on the bottom of the screen in Live.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

xavinet

Post by xavinet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Sorry, I know this topic and your answer are old... but I'm not sure we speak about the same thing. We desire a way to assign parameters in a macro, without loosing individual adjustment... live, without having to deal with new MIN and MAX values in the Macro Map page. A way to add or subtract relative amount with a macro to several parameters, and those parameters keep their normal use.
Is it possible? Bitwig (among other softs) works like this.
Thank you

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:11 pm

It's not possible without using MaxforLive for example... The min max ranges work as scaling, there is a clunky workaround using the range selector an mapping device on off buttons but you'll spend an age trying to get it right and it won't always give you the desired results...

Cheers
D

xavinet

Post by xavinet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:09 pm

Thank you Saren,
I think this is an essential feature for any live software.
I didn't see any Max4live macro device allowing that in an easy way or any easy solution with ClyphX. Do you have one to recommend?
I wish Ableton was planing to provide that.
Thank you

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Https://isotonikstudios.com/smart allows you to map up to 16 parameters and define exact paths for each as a singular dial is turned, you can then map this SMART dial within a rack so as to see the name of it on the Push Two Screen...

Cheers
D

xavinet

Post by xavinet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Thank you very much. It seems to be a very nice way to make curves and define parameter progression. But I didn't see the opportunity to change targeted parameters individually, once they are already mapped, without entering once more in map mode or editing smart XL device... just turning the parameter. I mean if my target are :
Bass with value 12 and treeble with value 12,
I assign a smart XL device to those two parameters, and I assign the Master to a MIDI controller : pitch bend.
Once both are targeted with the exact same curve, they move in the same way, with the exact same value. The will react the same way. But are those 2 parameters still available for tweaking? or are they hard wired to the master, like in a normal macro? (and unlike an automation).
Can I still move one of the parameters (without editing Smart XL), let's say Bass, to a new value, 24 for example... and in this case, if I can do it, what will happen if I modulate pitch bend controller? Will they conserve that new relation (Bass always 12 louder than treeble in my example)?
That's what I'm looking for.
Thank you very much