User Assignable Key Commands

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Orbit-50

User Assignable Key Commands

Post by Orbit-50 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 pm

I really wish Ableton would fix that nasty bug. The one where you can't assign your own key commands. I've been using Cubase 4 and wanted to use Live also but I want both to work with the same key commands that I'm comfortable with. I've actually given up on using Live because of this. I'm not about to force myself to use canned key commands that I don't feel comfortable with. I really wanted to update but I feel this the end of Live for me. It's a damn shame. I wish Live 8 would have included this feature, and I really don't see them ever implimenting this basic feature.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

snakedogman

Re: User Assignable Key Commands

Post by snakedogman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 am

even though I wouldn't call it a "bug", it is very annoying that they haven't implemented this (combined with the fact that the hardwired keycommands are needlessly complicated and un-ergonomical).
But I've spent some time using autohotkeys the last couple of days and that's already made my work in Live a whole lot more enjoyable. Afaik it is windows only though...

esky

Post by esky » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:58 am

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 pm

snakedogman wrote:even though I wouldn't call it a "bug", it is very annoying that they haven't implemented this (combined with the fact that the hardwired keycommands are needlessly complicated and un-ergonomical).
But I've spent some time using autohotkeys the last couple of days and that's already made my work in Live a whole lot more enjoyable. Afaik it is windows only though...
I was joking about the "bug" thing. I just want to assign 1 key command. That's it! It sucks that I can't even do that. I could probably deal with the other hardwired key commands without going nuts, but I just need at least this one customized key command. Even if there was some sort of text file that was user editable I'd be happy with that. Doesn't autohotkeys rob you of some keyboard functionality?

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Yup. snakedogman answered my question in the other thread.

.-.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:59 pm

well it does mean that as long as the script is active, you cannot use the keys you used to remap when you're for instance trying to enter a name for a clip. There is a decent way around that though and that is to assign another key command (one that is not used by Live in any way) to temporarily suspend the script. Since you probably won't be typing in names as much as you are using the actual shortcuts this seems like a decent trade off.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks snakedogman for your replies.

.-.