A MIDI Sostenuto Device

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
crumhorn

A MIDI Sostenuto Device

Post by crumhorn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:24 pm

would be very useful to me.

Any notes held down when the pedal is pressed are sustained until the pedal is released, but notes played after the pedal is pressed are not sustained.

It would work by holding off the note off messages until the pedal was released

Would need the ability to map any CC number for the pedal.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

vincentlepes

Re: A MIDI Sostenuto Device

Post by vincentlepes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 am

If you get a MIDI keyboard with a sustain pedal jack, it will handle the sostenuto. You can get any non-latching footswitch for $15, or a piano-style one for about $30. Also, sostenuto is MIDI CC#64, so maybe you could map it to some other control, such as you computer keyboard if you don't have a MIDI controller set up. Sorry, I don't know much about scripting, but perhaps this will help: http://digikorps.com/create-digital-mus ... s-control/

Good luck :)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Most vst instruments already support the sustain pedal but very few implement sostenuto properly (not sure about Live's instuments). What I am asking for is a way to retrofit correct sostenuto behaviour to any instrument by implementing it in a MIDI device.

Allowing different CC numbers to be assigned to the function would mean it could be individually applied to different chains in an instrument rack. This would be useful for the sustain pedal as well.

I'm coming at this from the point of view of a keyboard player who wants maximum flexibility for creating a live performance set up.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

vincentlepes

Post by vincentlepes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 pm

I would imagine that any device would understand the CC for your sustain pedal, but I'm not sure...sorry :)

Good luck!

chrisw63

Post by chrisw63 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:01 pm

I realize that this is an old thread, but this comment was never refuted, and desperately needs to be.
vincentlepes wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 am
If you get a MIDI keyboard with a sustain pedal jack, it will handle the sostenuto. You can get any non-latching footswitch for $15, or a piano-style one for about $30.
Sorry, but this is patently untrue. While most MIDI keyboards have a sustain pedal jack, they are mostly two-conductor interfaces and therefore cannot even physically support Sostenuto.

Very few pure MIDI keyboards actually support sostenuto directly (a pedal port specifically for it), and the ones that do are very expensive. Most higher end Stage Pianos and Workstations support it. For straight MIDI, I believe Roland keyboards support it, Kawai's VPC line definitely does. Some have an extra 'generic' pedal input that can be assigned to Sostenuto, but not set up by default.
Also, sostenuto is MIDI CC#64, so maybe you could map it to some other control, such as you computer keyboard if you don't have a MIDI controller set up.
But, as you say, you can just assign the Sostenuto MIDI control to a separate pedal, right? Sure. The problem is that VERY few VST's will respond to it!! I've sent Sostenuto MIDI signals to many different VST's and unless they're dedicated Piano plugins, you're mostly out of luck.

A Max for Live device that could keep track of Note messages, have a MIDI assignable On/Off switch, and basically store or discard Note Off messages for the notes that are 'on' when it was activated, and resend them when it was turned off would be a Huge benefit for those of us that play live. Er.. play Live, live. Lol..

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am

Its a lot simpler...for sustenuto (not sustain which is c 64), CC65 needs to simply turn note off reception and then resend a cc64 to kill the notes still sounding...I did it just now in Kore...made a button, turned of note reception for the test and continued to play over the top while played notes held. When I release sustain pedal, it al resets and doesnt need a note off count etc...hth
Now, how you do that in Live, will be a vst plugin as the midi utility doesnt seem to handle that

OConnorStP

Post by OConnorStP » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm

Here's a plug for a darn-nifty Max For Live device that I found after coming across this thread. Did the job for me. Might for you too...

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/7 ... eeze-pedal

IMage_Engine

Post by IMage_Engine » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:02 pm

I think it was mentioned to not use max for portability reasons (and despite me coding m4l for a year)
The simplest tried and proven solution are midi tools by PIZ, the tiny Sostenuto vst is solid
Cheets