Working with Video: EDLs, SMPTE timecode, BWAV

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ditabeardmemo

Working with Video: EDLs, SMPTE timecode, BWAV

Post by ditabeardmemo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:42 pm

I am a post production producer for television, as well as a musical hobbyist who has used Ableton Live since version 3. At my encouragement, the network where I work (one of the biggest networks in the U.S.) purchased two copies of Live for a digitizing project involving the transfer of interviews originally recorded to analog cassettes. The digitized files were then edited down to the best material, and later imported into Avid to be used in a television documentary.

While Ableton was a perfectly functional solution for digitizing and editing this audio, there are a few features that would make it much more appealing to broadcast professionals life myself:

1. The ability to generate and print an EDL (edit decision list) from audio files in the arrangement view timeline

2. The ability to display the arrangement view timeline using SMPTE time code (HH:MM:SS:FF).

3. Support for the Broadcast WAV format (also called BWAV or .bwf), including the ability to export a .bwf and edit .bwf meta data (including SMPTE time code).

4. Support for OMF/MXF files.

Given that Ableton already incorporated Quicktime video support, I think it only makes sense to add supplementary video production features that would make Live a compelling option for producers (particularly those without access to a complete ProTools rig).
Ableton Live Suite 8.0.4 / Mac Pro Quad Core 2.93 GHz / Apogee Rosetta 800 with X-Firewire card / M-Audio Midisport 8x8

posssu

Re: Working with Video: EDLs, SMPTE timecode, BWAV

Post by posssu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 am

ditabeardmemo wrote: 2. The ability to display the arrangement view timeline using SMPTE time code (HH:MM:SS:FF).
+1 .... and also the ability to display this timecode on top of the video in video window. And also the ability to set an offset-timecode, since most of the people work with cues and not with the whole film at once.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Entelekhia

Post by Entelekhia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Hear hear! Video streaming via firewire would also be an amazing feature.

Ableton's wise next step could be to make Live the software of choice for film composers. Digital Performer's last few updates have been rather disappointing, so now would be a good momentum for video support features.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:41 am

posssu wrote:
ditabeardmemo wrote: 2. The ability to display the arrangement view timeline using SMPTE time code (HH:MM:SS:FF).
+1 .... and also the ability to display this timecode on top of the video in video window. And also the ability to set an offset-timecode, since most of the people work with cues and not with the whole film at once.
+1000
also on t he stuff you quoted. if they include video support they should do it right you would think.
then again, they still haven't done the arrangementview right so i doubt it heh.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am

+1001

itsthejayj

Post by itsthejayj » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:50 am

If you looking for some basic video playback in session view we're working hard to include this intuitively with JAM 2.5 a video application that hooks up automatically to Ableton. You can download the free trial at www.facebook.com/justaddmusicmedia

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 am

itsthejayj wrote:If you looking for some basic video playback in session view we're working hard to include this intuitively with JAM 2.5 a video application that hooks up automatically to Ableton. You can download the free trial at http://www.facebook.com/justaddmusicmedia
wrong os. sorry :p

redglass

Post by redglass » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 pm

+1