Follow Action: at end point, do X

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Fieldmedic

Follow Action: at end point, do X

Post by Fieldmedic » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Follow Actions are currently limited to being activated after a certain count. As stemming full length tracks in Ableton Live has become popular to effectively provide cue points in said tracks, it would be great to have the Follow Action command activate at a clips end point. this would allow two uses that I have foreseen:

A loop could be placed and moved at will within a clip and be looped indefinitely, and the follow action would not activate until the loop was turned off and the remainder of the clip played out. Currently, if a Follow action is set to model the length of a clip from start point to end point, looping a section of the clip for a period of time would cause the follow action to activate before the clip finished. when stemming tracks to resemble cue points, this would cause a section of a track to be skipped over, and break the original flow of the track.

the second is for use as loop fills. for example, two 1 bar loops can be made; one to loop extensively, and the other to be used as a fill. With the fill clip placed on legato mode and quantization reduced as low as "none," one could add the fill at any time in the count, it would play out and then follow action back to the loop track without losing time. with the current follow action capabilities, when the fill clip is triggered, it is required to play for an entire count before activating the action prescribed, effectively losing or altering the beat of the music.

Thanks for the ear, Abes. Keep up the good work!
Sheph

Fieldmedic

Re: Follow Action: at end point, do X

Post by Fieldmedic » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:58 pm

24 hours later, no love...

anybody +1 on this, or is it a bad idea?

timit

Post by timit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:53 am

I'm certain this has been asked for many a time before, never hurts to be repeated though...

+1

This plus coloured warp markers would help dj'ing with ableton no end.

+1

Fieldmedic

Post by Fieldmedic » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:14 am

+1 color coded warp markers.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:54 pm

I think it would be great to be able to set a specifc clip to be played after a pre-determined time. It would be nice if follow actions also supported high order musical structures like parts and if it could jump to a structure one might call 'next group' after a specific time.

Of course on can do that manually,, but that is true for the whole follow action thing.

best

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:26 pm

anything that gives me more stuff to do with follow actions is a +1 in my book, son.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm

steff3 wrote:I think it would be great to be able to set a specifc clip to be played after a pre-determined time. It would be nice if follow actions also supported high order musical structures like parts and if it could jump to a structure one might call 'next group' after a specific time.

Of course on can do that manually,, but that is true for the whole follow action thing.

best
especially time. using follow actions with a n.n.n is quite frustrating at times, especially when you are are working with fast time signature changes etc.
+1

skulpture

Post by skulpture » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:02 pm

+1.

At end point, do:

Play next scene
Play Scene 'X' (specify scene)
Play clip in reverse
Play at Half Speed
Play at Twice Speed
Cross fade

I'm sure I can think of more...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:01 am

skulpture wrote:+1.

At end point, do:

Play next scene
Play Scene 'X' (specify scene)
Play clip in reverse
Play at Half Speed
Play at Twice Speed
Cross fade

I'm sure I can think of more...
forward/backward N, so you could jump to clip 7 and continue there.
this goes inline with the play scene, but it plays individual clips instead :)