. moved

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
rosti

Re: THE BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9

Post by rosti » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:56 pm

IP wrote:You can use "Tab" key

select the clips you want / tab / throw them to arrangement
That is still very annoying. Some sort of clip browser would be nice. Like a drop down box for each track or something even more clever.

posssu

Post by posssu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Xfade-parameter to clips so that if you loop within a clip, you can adjust the amount of the xfade between the end and the start - just like in Sampler.

Would help you make smoother loops.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Jacob Thein

increase the window size of the track view

Post by Jacob Thein » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:42 am

I wish I could increase the window size of the track view like you can in the clipview.

You know what I mean?

Because I am building lots of drum racks to play live on stage with lots of Pads I need to have a better working view on that.

Rock on.

Jacob
MacBook Pro 2,8 Ghz; 4 GB Ram; Suite 8, APC40, TD3, PD8, Control Pad, Fireface 400, Sonor Hilite Drumset, Istanbul Cymbals, Crown CM 311 A

posssu

Post by posssu » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:08 am

Mockup in both threads:

Vertical scrollbar replaced with a miniature-view of the set: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130538

A much more flexible and powerful color-picker: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130537
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

kloosterj

Post by kloosterj » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Clips (midi & audio):
a true "double clip" function, mostly like "duplicate" but after this action the clip should have double length. E.g. make a one bar clip, double it three times to create an 8-bar clip, make some changes in the last bar, done.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:05 pm

The ability to have some clips in your set "Select on Launch" and other clips NOT "Select on Launch"

I used to have a plethora of clips that I would randomly trigger live, they were all stacked up vertically in one track, wayyyy down at the bottom of my set.. Well whenever I triggered one of those clips it would jump down to that scene, and I would no longer have control of the clips playin wayyy back up on the top of my set.. BUT I can't take off "Select on Launch" because that's the only way I've found to be able to delete clips on the fly.. They need to be selected when you hit the launch button for that specific clip, then hit the delete key.

So long story short, some clips select on launch and others not. Not just a global preference for all clips..

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:11 pm

^ Now that I think of it, this is all because of the fact that it's difficult to delete a clip with Live. Undo isn't working because If i'm recording a loop while I mess with a filter, when I hit undo cause the loop sucked, I would be undoing the filter THEN the loop..

and I think it's a little much to use a translator to translate a MIDI function into the delete key.. and I'd still need the select on launch to be selecting my clips before a delete..

Has anyone found a nice way to delete clips? Maybe you can add this to the list if it's a legit request?

julienb

Post by julienb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:46 am

I don't know if you consider max for live, but I did a request here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130610

clip position property
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

ColdChamber

Auto-Generate "launch-next" Clips from songs

Post by ColdChamber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:01 am

It would be helpful for DJ users to be able to open up a song, ensure the warp-markers are sync'ed properly, and then have some kind of razor-cut tool to create a series of Clips that automatically have their Launch configurations set to "Next" and their Follow / Loop values set to the length of each segments cut. This would make it easier / faster to drag new songs on and audio track and split it up into our favorite samples / loops. Then it could be saved as a Live Clip Group set, as we can do now by drag-and-dropping them in our library.

Currently, I accomplish this tedious job by first dragging a song, checking the warp-markers, and doing this repetitive process:
1 ) Select 8-16 bars (depending on intro);
2 ) Hit CMD-L (CTRL-L) for loop mode (only required on first clip);
3 ) Select "Next" as the launch-mode for the clip;
4 ) Set the "Follow-on" count value to the same as the loop value;
5 ) Make sure starting cue point is on start of loop;
6 ) Copy this clip to the next row;
7 ) Advance loop range to next set of 8-16 (or however many) bars;
8 ) ... repeat Step (4) until end-of-song is reached ...

Finally, at the end, I often make the last clip a closed repeatable loop instead of following to the next clip.

Hopefully this gets considered in the next release of Live!

lars vom mars

Post by lars vom mars » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:57 am

playing a sample looped without using the warp function...

(i cannot manage it in actual version either its warped and looped
or not warped and not able looping it)

greetz
lars
:::FROM DUB TILL DAWN:::

:::live set:thinkpad r51/apc40/evolver/rme-multiface:::

Xen Ochren

Post by Xen Ochren » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:08 pm

1. I'd find an "export midi file as notation" function really handy for composing for non computer based musicians. I could compose in midi convert it, and print them out some sheet music. At the moment i would have to pay for another program like 'sibelius' or 'harmony assistant' to convert midi files into notation/sheet music. (not sure if PC has free downloadable programs which do this, I'm pretty certain there are none for mac)

2. Another reverb, or an update on the current.

3. db meter in utility?

4. As far as i know, currently launching clips below other clips can only be done with one midi mapped button by mapping each empty clip box to a controller, or by using the launch scene arrow down button. I would love a midi mappable "launch next/previous clip in channel" button! Although APC40 type controllers wouldn't need this.

A spectrum analyser in EQ 8 is a fantastic idea! adjustable slopes would be useful too

meudic

Post by meudic » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:35 pm

My wishlist (for the moment) about:

Automations:
It would be nice to:
- have access to automations from m4l (create, edit, filter, save, import etc...)
- store automations in a folder of the live project and have the possibility to import any automations on any device parameter
- have the possibility to choose the curve of automation and to add some groove (or random)
- specify the position of an automation point with high precision (ie providing its exact time and y value)

Tracks:
It would be nice to:
- displaying the mouse time value (bars and ms) when moving the mouse on a track
- have a take menu on each track ie the possibility to have access to multiple recording versions for each track

m4l:
It would be nice to:
- have better precision when dragging on a live.numbox of type float (ie have access to the Modulation Range ?) For instance, I would like to increment with 1 a live.numbox starting from 0 with range 0 10000 by dragging on it (pressing command key doesn't give enough precision)

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:37 pm

a tuner would be nice!
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

JaggFab

Post by JaggFab » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 pm

A single shortcut (keyboard shortcut or a little button somewhere around the gui) to quickly open all the VST windows!

I have an UAD-2 DSP card, and so I use a lot of VSTs (up to 6 VST's per track, sometimes even more, up to 14-15 VST's on a drum rack!).
(I use dual screen. On the main screen I have Live in fullscreen mode, and on the second screen I can look at the VST windows for the selected track)
I've set up Live to automatically open/close the VST's windows when I switch between tracks on my APC40.
But each time I load a set, I have to manually click on all the "wrenches" buttons on all the VST's to open their windows before starting to work on my set !! That's sooo boring !

Would be nice to have this quite simple functionnality in an upcoming update for Live 8 ! :-)

Best regards!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Fieldmedic wrote:I started a thread regarding my "Follow Actions" request: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126410
here's the jist, just to clear things up:

Follow Actions are currently limited to being activated after a certain count. As stemming full length tracks in Ableton Live has become popular to effectively provide cue points in said tracks, it would be great to have the Follow Action command activate at a clips end point. this would allow two uses that I have foreseen:

A loop could be placed and moved at will within a clip and be looped indefinitely, and the follow action would not activate until the loop was turned off and the remainder of the clip played out. Currently, if a Follow action is set to model the length of a clip from start point to end point, looping a section of the clip for a period of time would cause the follow action to activate before the clip finished. when stemming tracks to resemble cue points, this would cause a section of a track to be skipped over, and break the original flow of the track.

the second is for use as loop fills. for example, two 1 bar loops can be made; one to loop extensively, and the other to be used as a fill. With the fill clip placed on legato mode and quantization reduced as low as "none," one could add the fill at any time in the count, it would play out and then follow action back to the loop track without losing time. with the current follow action capabilities, when the fill clip is triggered, it is required to play for an entire count before activating the action prescribed, effectively losing or altering the beat of the music.

Hope that clears it up.
FM
fieldmedic, you will appreciate this thread:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... nd+of+clip

Here are some additional refinements:

I would like to see a time variant added. For example:

End of clip + an empty field where a time can be entered:
- End of clip + 1 minute
- End of clip + 30 seconds
, etc.

This time field could be represented as 00:00:00 for hours, minutes, seconds.

Then there could be some time before the follow action is executed.

annihilator.1 added this one:
"play named clip on end , so i can program jumps between groups of clips."

This would work for playing any clips you want in any order, in addition to the possible semi-randomization of applying Follow Action parameters over the chosen named clips.

There is quite a lengthy discussion on the subject as the thread is 7 pages long. Please add your voice to it if you like!
:wink: