A Step Sequencer that is NOT Max related!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
The Northern Contingent

Re: A Step Sequencer that is NOT Max related!

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:02 am

It is not the 'look' I don't like - in fact I think Ableton's piano roll is one of the most flexible and user friendly ones to be offered in a DAW. Instead, it is the simple workflow and experimental aspect of a good step sequencer that piano rolls just don't seem to have. Sugar Bytes 'Thesys' is a perfect example of this - just try downloading the demo to give it a try. Yes, technically it doesn't do anything a piano roll can't do, but the manner in which it is implemented makes all the difference (for me anyway), producing results I just wouldn't get in the standard piano roll window. I'm not knocking piano roll sequencing at all - what I rather find is that using a dedicated step sequencer produces different results.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 am

fun, from the demo video it looks like exactly what i do in the pianoroll and the modulations that one can use. and even sounds sort of the same, what they create :)

it does have some things that are cool. but those 99$ are better spent on other things, and a not-that-perfect interface with modulations and the pianoroll.

one thing that i hope is, that one day one is able to "lock" those pianoroll and modulation and effect-rack windows and stack them. then it would be sorta identical. (you could then see them all at the same time).
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:08 am

I know - I agree completely! I'm holding back from buying Thesys as I can't justify paying out 99EUR for what something that doesn't add much functionality that I don't already have. My other alternative is Fxpansion's Synth Squad, as this offers three fantastic synths with a great step sequencer included in 'Fusor' - a kind of sound sculpting tool that allows you to blend the three synths together. The problem with this, however, is that the step sequencer doesn't do MIDI out, so it couldn't be used with Ableton's own instruments.

That said, with the money off I've just got back from Ableton because of their current special offer, I can get Max4Live now for an extra 17EUR than Synth Squad, thereby solving all the problems in one go! I think I'm just going to leave the step sequencer for a while, make some music and come back to it in a few weeks time...

Thanks for all your help on here by the way everyone - you've all given me some great feedback and suggestions. If you hear of anything in the meantime re. a good step sequencer for Ableton 8 on the Mac, let me know via this thread.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:11 pm

yeah, make some music. hope to be able to listen to some stuff of you. anything link? anything to buy?

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Nothing to buy yet (I wish!), but a link to my Myspace page is below. I've just finished writing the music for a new film called 'Homemade Vigilante' that is doing quite well at some independent film festivals at the moment. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have - I'm certainly not a professional but am always trying to get a better sound. And yourself?

http://www.myspace.com/northerncontingent

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:24 pm

cool sound. my humble baby steps are hearable on soundcloud and bandcamp (there even to buy, i suggest you this as a starting platform as well, why not?). link is in my sig.

it's quite cool sound you have. i like the baselines you have espencially. and version a13 is nice, might fit into some dj set intro :)

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Cheers - you are very kind! I like your own tunes very much - you've got a beautifully crisp sound. You've got some wonderful synth sound layers in 'No License'. I'm very envious of your studio setup! It seems very spacious and uncluttered. I should imagine it is a fantastic place to shut out the world and loose a few hours making beats! Is that an AXiS-49 on your desk? I've heard about them - doesn't the layout help you play in scale more easily?

Please feel free to use anything from the Myspace page in your sets - it would be very nice to know they are being played somewhere!

madlab

Post by madlab » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:20 pm

There's a free one from Covert Op still running for a few days maybe ? Go check heir site.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks madlab - I've already got theirs. I think its an ingenious workaround using Ableton's existing tools, but ultimately unusable for everyday tasks. Nevermind - I heard the Synth Squad pack is getting an update soon with MIDI out capability for the step sequencer. I've decided this is probably a definite purchase come payday - its an outstanding package already.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 pm

can't wait till you get it :) then i want every track of you, to redo it without it in seconds in ableton :)

just kidding :)

joewalch

Post by joewalch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks to Joey for sending over the templates.

I've noticed that th Launchpad sends simple midi messages.

Is it not possible to find a software sequencer 32 step, that has Midi learn?

Then remove the launchpad from ableton's devices?

weblee

Post by weblee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 am

Here here, its like you can see my soul.

such a simple simple feature & surely not too much to ask!!! (hell... if acid can do it...)
The Northern Contingent wrote:Since it has emerged that Max will be USD 299/EUR 249, could we return to the old wish for Ableton to have please (pretty please!) a dedicated step sequencer? This is my only remaining criticism of Live, but shelling out for an enormous package that I'm simply not going to use other than for this single purpose is a future purchase that is simply not going to happen.

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:26 am

if we're not gonna have a step sequencer then we should have some sort of midi generation option thing.....create a empty clip, right click, randomize midi notes, then choose key, scale, mode, resolution, etc, like in the really really old fruity loops.

that would be the shit would it? especially if your gigging with out a keyboard?

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:29 am

Combining this with the scale plugin would work a treat. I caved into the dark sie and bought M4L after receiving a voucher from Ableton that they kindly gave me after I upgraded to Suite 8 two days before the Able10 promotion. I'm going to make this my first project. I am rubbish at programming though so it might take a while...