A Step Sequencer that is NOT Max related!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
The Northern Contingent

A Step Sequencer that is NOT Max related!

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Since it has emerged that Max will be USD 299/EUR 249, could we return to the old wish for Ableton to have please (pretty please!) a dedicated step sequencer? This is my only remaining criticism of Live, but shelling out for an enormous package that I'm simply not going to use other than for this single purpose is a future purchase that is simply not going to happen.

davepermen

Re: A Step Sequencer that is NOT Max related!

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:06 pm

what is a step sequencer actually useful for? is it for the midimapping to map it to something like the launchpad? because the pianoroll else gives all one might want from such a step sequencer, not?
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 pm

I know - in many ways a looped MIDI piano roll section is nothing more than a step sequencer. I don't really know why, but I just find writing in step sequencers to be much more productive and intuitive than straight into a piano roll. It might be because it creates the illusion of being more 'hands on' with the music - I don't really know!

It is, however, something that I really, REALLY miss in Ableton, and have been looking for a solution for a while now. Covert Operators have done an admiral workaround with Ableton's existing instruments, but if I'm honest I find it pretty unworkable in day-to-day situations.

All that said, I have just downloaded the demo of Fxpansion's Synth Squad, which not only has an excellent sequencer inside it, but also a formidable array of three separate synth's which sound incredible. All this for only £188 (inc. VAT). I am sorely tempted..!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

dunno, but for that price you could get max4live and solve your issues about wanting one without max4live :)

other than that, yeah, a drum rack and a pianoroll is a step sequenzer. maybe i'm too less 'old school' to see the point.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm

The price difference is significant for me - I've just spotted on eBay sellers retailing DCAM at around £160. For Max, I'd have to shell out nearly £240.

Anyway, I'll have to think long and hard about it. I've literally only just upgraded to Ableton Suite 8, and need to watch the pennies. Maybe you're right - it could be a waste of money.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:07 pm

yeah, better take some time to explore 8 suite first now :)

i have nothing but 8 suite, i'll get max4live later for sure (well, not 100% sure), and a launchpad is on it's way. i try to stay out of gearhead-issues and try to reduce to the max :) saves much money

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Yes - I'm definitely not a gear-head! The suite is fantastic - I've used Ableton for quite a few years now and the new effects etc. in it are amazing. I've just started looking at the Vocoder. Great stuff!

Still miss that step sequencer though... :(

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:33 pm

hehe i guess you really miss it :)

http://www.rozzer.net/wp/?p=4 here's a free one for you :)

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Hey - cheers man! Unfortunately its Windows only! Bugger! :roll:

Well - things are looking up. I've found a plugin by Sugar Bytes here which I think will do the job nicely. And its only 99 EUR so won't break the bank.

If you see any more free ones though give me a shout on here - I've got it linked to my email.

Thanks again for the note though! :)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:54 pm

*hugs my windows* :) i could use it, not that i .. could .. use it, but it would run here :)

but i thought it should be runable on mac, too.. at least, the patch.. looks like, not, yet.. but synthedit for mac should come.. (i like synthedit, it's like max for dummies :))

steff3

Post by steff3 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Well, there are also other, very flexible, alternatives, not just M4L ....

Personally, in Logic I miss a dedicated Drum editor (know about hyper edit drum mode), but in Live I think the editor is nice for drums and as good as the drum editors I work with until now (Cubase and DP)

best

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:24 pm

steff3 wrote:Well, there are also other, very flexible, alternatives, not just M4L ....
Are there any you could recommend (that are compatible with Macs)? I'd greatly appreciate any advice with this...

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:38 am

Well, I am using Numerology - which might not be to your taste as a VST-plugin might be better integrated with Live. James (from Five12) is working on a plugin pack but as long as Live does not support MIDI out for AU fx (do not know if James will also release VSTs) .... maybe have a look here:
http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=616
Also check for MonoNoteAU on that forum.

Maybe you want to check out Thesys, which works as VST and therefore has MIDI out support in Live ...

There is another one I think ....

hope that helps

best

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:46 am

Thanks for the advice!

I've looked at numerology 2 and yes, I'd prefer something integrated. Thesys is currently favourite, unless the step sequencer included with DCAM Synth Squad can do MIDI out (which I don't think it can). There is also one I think is called Bigseq2 by Audio Damage but this doesn't seem to have a demo to try. Has anyone tried this?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 pm

I really suggest you to use the integrated step sequencer till you find something good for free. spending money on an existing, usable feature just because you don't like it's look is quite ridiculous, no?

and yes, i talk about the midi-clip-piano roll. show me one thing it can't do that a sequencer can.