Abes: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Add ability to SAVE SCENES...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Seattle_Ray

Abes: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Add ability to SAVE SCENES...

Post by Seattle_Ray » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Please add the ability to Save Scenes from Sets and import them between various Sets. I realize that I can already save sets and import them into other sets, but it does not save all the Scene naming, bpm and color info.

I primarily use Live for creating backing tracks. I use each Scene as an individual song and set the name of the song & tempo using the Scene naming feature. If I had the ability to Save or Export Scenes, then I could quickly build up a catalog of these songs and create various setlists/shows quickly by dragging the required scenes into a new Set. I would greatly appreciate it if this feature was added. Doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to implement & I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from this function.

Also, while we're talking about scenes. Can we get rid of all this dragging of scenes back and forth between Session & Arrangement views. It can get pretty confusing when you have numerous scenes & tracks. How about just allowing us to right click on the scene and select "Send to Arrangement" or something similar. And then an opposite "Send to back to Session" on the other side.

Thanks for listening and I LOVE Ableton Live it's just missing a few tiny workflow features that would make things so much easier for those of us who use Live a little different the the mainstream users.
Check out my blog for live musicians at http://www.TheGiggingMusician.com

Tone Deft

Re: Abes: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Add ability to SAVE SCENES...

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:37 pm

problem is you'd drop in a new scene you'd have to make a new track for each clip in the scene so you might as well drop in a track from an old project anyway.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:problem is you'd drop in a new scene you'd have to make a new track for each clip in the scene so you might as well drop in a track from an old project anyway.
was thinking the same thing. maybe I'm not understanding the op

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 am

Pick up the scene and drag it onto a folder in one of the file browsers. It helps if you create a bookmark for you projects folder and select it in advance.

If you drag the scene into an existing project it creates a new live set in that project, if you drag it to a normal folder it will create a new project as well.

In fact you can select any number of clips from different tracks and scenes and create a new Live set by dragging them to the browser.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:15 am

the problem as i see it is that what happens if you pull scenes in which have different devices on the tracks

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:14 am

longjohns wrote:the problem as I see it is that what happens if you pull scenes in which have different devices on the tracks
im not really understanding what you want.

if you have a clip in one song that you like, and want to use it in another set, just browse to the old set through abelton, select the track, then the clip, then drop it into an empty slot. all your effects n such should come with it. basically, ableton saves each clip individually every time you save.

if you want to use just the midi, drop it onto another instrument.

or you could freeze the clips, and pull them all into a new track as audio files.

if you want each clip to maintain they're original properties, that would take a complete overhaul of live.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 am

i'm able to do this already.

say i have project A with these scenes:

|a|a|a|a|
|a|a|a|a|

and project B with these scenes:

|b|b|b|b|b|
|b|b|b|b|b|
|b|b|b|b|b|

to merge B into A i just pull in all of the tracks from B and drag until the paste preview looks like this:

|a|a|a|a|_|_|_|_|_|
|a|a|a|a|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|b|b|b|b|b|
|_|_|_|_|b|b|b|b|b|
|_|_|_|_|b|b|b|b|b|

then release the mouse.

works really well, seems to keep everything intact, at least in session view.

Seattle_Ray

Post by Seattle_Ray » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:27 pm

....hmmmm, I think the confusion is in the way I use Live as opposed to the way most users use live.

Here's my scenario:
I use live exclusively to run backing tracks for my band for live gigs. This includes extra guitar parts, harmony vocals, keys, percussion, etc. I use no Midi tracks. I use no effects/processors. All the tracks are constant, so for instance, guitar is always track 7, Harmony vox are always track 9, percussion always track 12, etc..All tracks are full song length audio that I record along with my guitarist.

Each Scene in my set represents an entire song that will run from start to finish for 3 to 5 minutes depending on the song. Once a scene is launched I don't interact with it for the entire length of the song (as I'm playing bass live). So, I use Live in a more linear fashion than the typical user. My set may contain 40-50 songs (scenes).

I name the scene with the name of the song along with the bpm tempo info. I may also color code the scene for easy reference from stage.

The problem is that I'm building a library of almost 100 songs(scenes) that I want to be able to easily move between different Shows(sets). I can get most of the way there, by using a seperate Live Set for each song, then saving them into the Project. I can then drag that set into a new set (say for a new show setlist/show I'm creating). This works fairly well. The problem is that the Scene loses it's naming info/color info/and Tempo label and defaults instead to "Scene 1", "Scene 2", "Scene 3", etc. This causes me to have to manually rename all 40-50 scenes(songs) which is tedious & time consuming. All I'm asking for is that the scene names to be moved to a new set along with the other set info (tracks, etc).

Seems like it would be pretty easy to accomplish and would certainly save me a lot of extra work. I can work around some of this by setting up a midi track that I only use for naming individual songs(scenes) and use color coding as I wish, but what about the tempo info. When I launch a new song(scene) it needs to launch at the correct tempo. Live is just SOOO close to being the perfect tool for live backing tracks, it's just this one little issue that keeps it from being completely perfect in my situation. Thanks for the help & comments.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:57 pm

When you drag in an als file, if you drop it on the master column then the scene names will be retained.

Seattle_Ray

Post by Seattle_Ray » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Crumhorn....YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! This is exactly what I've been looking for and it's been there all along apparently. I read through the manual, searched through the manual, searched the forums, searched google and I could not find this info. So, either it's not very well documented, or I'm a complete dumbass (probably the latter).

Anyway, thanks so much for the help. The forums here are the best.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:59 pm

:oops:

I think I just did it without thinking, because it's the opposite of what you do to save a scene.

jasonjoven

Post by jasonjoven » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 am

I've found that dragging an .als file to a fresh project retains the saved scene names as crumhorn mentioned, but then dragging a second .als file via the same method is not possible. I just get the no smoking icon...is there something I'm doing wrong?

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:17 pm

crumhorn wrote:When you drag in an als file, if you drop it on the master column then the scene names will be retained.
Nice. Thanks 8)

nanovak

Post by nanovak » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:35 pm

This is working for me for the first scene I import as a .als from another project (i.e. song - I do the same thing Seattle_Ray does), but it doesn't let me drop in additional tracks that way. Does anybody know how to do that for a bunch of tracks?

simontasker21

Post by simontasker21 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:13 am

For anyone trying to do this with multiple scenes at the same time (e.g. one song with different sections), I have found it works if you delete tempo info from all scenes in the song except for the first one.