THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
phil77

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by phil77 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:43 pm

betters tools for mixing
a same bundle a logic studio 8)

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:26 am

Don't fatten the software to raise price or just separate session view. That'll make sense.

JaCk HoRNer

Post by JaCk HoRNer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 am

BUMP BUMP BUMP

This should be top on Ableton's "To Do List" for the release of Ableton 9

I like session view, it's great for producers and dj's that are jamming and playing out. I understand that is what makes Ableton unique and different than the other DAW's out there, but they got to step it up in the arrangement view!!! I don't think it would be a hard fix for them to get that down. Then they could crush the competition with session view for live sets and arrangement view for serious producers.

Until then, here's the work around that i find best using Ableton's arrangement view.

Command J is your friend. When recording new midi notes in, after your done, highlight all and hit Command J (Consolidate). it sucks, it takes a min, but it gets the job done until they fix it and make it like overdubbing in session view.

As for automation... It really, really, sucks that when you want to overdub midi notes in, it overwrites the automation you have. The only work around i have found for this is... once you record your initial midi notes in and do your automation, you just have to click on the midi clip and draw or double click new notes in that you want. you can adjust the length, move them around, etc... you can also do this with the headphone icon turned on, so when you're putting them in you can hear them. IT SUCKS DOING IT THIS WAY, but you can add those fill in midi notes and not loose your automation.

ABLETON GET ON THIS ONE!!!

and while your at it... make the Tempo Change in arrangement view better!!! it would be easier to just place markers where you want to change tempo and name them 70 BPM or 140 BPM like you do in session view, then when while in arrangement view, when it hits those tempo marker it would change the tempo. just like switching scenes in session view.

COME ON ABLETON! SOME MINOR TWEAKS! YOU"RE ALMOST THERE!!!

Then you would be King of the DAW's

also, while you're at it, tighten up the piano roll. make it look more defined like in FL Studio and add a chord tool and midi note chopper like FL Studio.

easy fixes and adds and you would be years ahead of the competition.

p.s. I still love you though and will continue to use you. :D

also... this is something i put in another thread, but i'm putting here too. ABLETON I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING!

in arrangement view Ableton could use some minor tweaking in my opinion. like when you're recording in overdub, when you stop, it splits the clip up. all you have to do is highlight it and hit command j (consolidate), but in session view you don' have to do that. it keeps it one clip and lets you keep overdubbing if you have to.

also, if they put the record quantize settings on hot keys or in the clip itself, it would be easier access than having to go up to the options and change it each time.

i would also like to see them make a piano roll chopper tool and chord tool like they have in FL Studio. they are great tools. i'm getting use to the hot keys and changing the grid settings in ableton and getting busy with the pencil tool, but a midi note chopper like fl studio would be real nice. the chord tool too. ableton's chord and scale tool are cool, but i like in fl studio when you pick a chord and pencil it in, it also puts in the other notes that make up the chord, so you can go in and edit them, shorten, lengthen, etc... in ableton the chord effect is cool, but you just see your root note. you have to create dummy midi clip and record the out there to physically see the other notes. it's a pain and would be better the other way like FL Studio.

the last thing i would say is make the piano roll a little nicer looking, like in FL Studio. where the keys actually look like piano keys and the lines in the grid a little more defined, so it's easier on the eyes. on each key have the note too, not like it is now where you see a few notes and have to zoom way in or mouse over the keys to see the notes pop up.

i agree, the piano roll should pop up on its own window, like is does in FL Studio and many other software programs. It would make things a lot easier. JUST SO YOU KNOW FELLAS, HERE'S A LITTLE TRICK I FIGURED OUT. WHEN YOU STRETCH THE PIANO ROLL ALL THE WAY UP THE SCREEN SO ITS EASIER TO SEE AND WORK ON, THEN YOU WANT TO JUMP BACK AND SEE THE ARRANGEMENT SCREEN AGAIN, HIT SHIFT THEN TAB. YOU CAN JUMP BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE PIANO ROLL PULLED FULL SCREEN AND THE ARRANGEMNT SCREEN. HOPE THAT HELPS SOME OF YOU.

other than that Ableton Live is the truth!!! and a very slept on programming. They need to step their marketing game up and get cats like you, Buda, Diplo, Skrillez, Ski Beatz, EL-P, Dev79, me and my crew Nod Records and heads that are making good music with it, endorsing it. It would sell more. Ableton is getting crushed by FL Studio, Logic Pro, and Reason with their marketing, promotions and Artist Endorsements.

I've been telling Ableton This For Years and even applied for a sales job with them years ago. They didn't listen. I bet i could have doubled their sales by now and had all kinds of artists endorsing the software, once they knew how to use it, how powerful and limitless it is.

Hopefully they wake up!!! there are a bunch of producers, new and old, especially hip-hop producers that are use to hardware that get lost in Ableton. once they get over the steep learning curve and see how powerful it is, they'd be all over it.

ABLETON WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have one of the best production software packages on the market and your marketing, promotions and artists endorsements suck. With some minor tweaks to the software, with some input from good producers who are using it, you could take over the market. That's my word. Contact me if you want to talk about it. you should have taken me up on my offer years ago. Either way, I'll still be using your product. I'm an artists who swears by it and uses it heavy. Not just some artists trying to endorse it for a Free Copy to try or just to get a check from you. Real Talk.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 am

There are several things in sampler that cant be automated.

Source A & B values for LFOs 2 & 3 cant be automated.
I didn't try with every instruments in ableton but I think it's a shame those values are not reachable for some enveloppe automation fun.

I mean everything you can turn value from 0 to 127 should be accessible for this.

Jabbon

Post by Jabbon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 am

There are certain things which me, or many others have done in m4l which would be nice to have directly in Live::
link to clip:

on the available options from the pop-up menu of clips in session view adding "link to clip/clip ***" so one can have multiple clips (in session view mode) slaved/triggered from another clip.
A double pop-up something similar to the input/output menus.
Superimposes on the vertical/horizontal approach tracks/scenes.

Scene recaller:

A function which is similar to many "capturing and recalling" m4l devices but which is inside live and is triggered by scenes, so if one triggers a scene it will also recall the whole arrangement of Devices and mixer devices.

An option if to include the live.object into the undo buffer yes/no==1/0

Dreamland::
1) Ableton Clouding Actually working
2) Ableton 3D multitouch:: a spheric representation of the session view which one can navigate/browse by rotating it in 3D to access different parts of the shape...
each track is a slice of the orange... then selecting it enhances the view, on top the various clips, mid mixer devices, low devices.
Maybe even with a kinect?
If one gets the poles of the sphere one opens the browser, etc. a true physically Live experience...
A=B B=C C=A

Deimateos

Post by Deimateos » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:23 am

1. Cached/Indexed auto search - I'm tired of auto search taking 4 years to find 3 samples for an old project because I found a better sample organization method. Let us index selected folders so we can quickly retool/re-imagine an old project. As much a I like using Live, I hate when it kills my creative flow because it takes an hour to do what almost every other DAW I have owned/used can do in 1-5 minutes. In my opinion, fixing this should be in the top list of priorities.

2. A "Group Tracks" export option. It already exports group tracks when you do "all tracks", so live should have a "group tracks" option as well. This should be in 8.2.3, being as 8 already does it in "all tracks".

3. 100% 64 bit version. Live is based around sample prowess more than any other DAW. It's time they take the next step and make use of the 4+ GB of ram and 64 bit OSs most of us have by now.

jeff cox

Post by jeff cox » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Midi editing like on Logic,

i.e. when you group notes that you want to edit to the same length, you hold down a keyboard key and drag one midi note and the other notes selected shrink/grow to the same length as the one you've changed. and different key combos of shift, alt and ctrl all do different things like vol etc.....

(sorry only used logic for a short while but found these very useful)

better intergration with hardware synths and outboard gear, also better midi latacy

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:51 am

JaCk HoRNer wrote:BUMP BUMP BUMP

This should be top on Ableton's "To Do List" for the release of Ableton 9

I like session view, it's great for producers and dj's that are jamming and playing out. I understand that is what makes Ableton unique and different than the other DAW's out there, but they got to step it up in the arrangement view!!! I don't think it would be a hard fix for them to get that down. Then they could crush the competition with session view for live sets and arrangement view for serious producers.

Until then, here's the work around that i find best using Ableton's arrangement view.

Command J is your friend. When recording new midi notes in, after your done, highlight all and hit Command J (Consolidate). it sucks, it takes a min, but it gets the job done until they fix it and make it like overdubbing in session view.

As for automation... It really, really, sucks that when you want to overdub midi notes in, it overwrites the automation you have. The only work around i have found for this is... once you record your initial midi notes in and do your automation, you just have to click on the midi clip and draw or double click new notes in that you want. you can adjust the length, move them around, etc... you can also do this with the headphone icon turned on, so when you're putting them in you can hear them. IT SUCKS DOING IT THIS WAY, but you can add those fill in midi notes and not loose your automation.

ABLETON GET ON THIS ONE!!!

and while your at it... make the Tempo Change in arrangement view better!!! it would be easier to just place markers where you want to change tempo and name them 70 BPM or 140 BPM like you do in session view, then when while in arrangement view, when it hits those tempo marker it would change the tempo. just like switching scenes in session view.

COME ON ABLETON! SOME MINOR TWEAKS! YOU"RE ALMOST THERE!!!

Then you would be King of the DAW's

also, while you're at it, tighten up the piano roll. make it look more defined like in FL Studio and add a chord tool and midi note chopper like FL Studio.

easy fixes and adds and you would be years ahead of the competition.

p.s. I still love you though and will continue to use you. :D

also... this is something i put in another thread, but i'm putting here too. ABLETON I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING!

in arrangement view Ableton could use some minor tweaking in my opinion. like when you're recording in overdub, when you stop, it splits the clip up. all you have to do is highlight it and hit command j (consolidate), but in session view you don' have to do that. it keeps it one clip and lets you keep overdubbing if you have to.

also, if they put the record quantize settings on hot keys or in the clip itself, it would be easier access than having to go up to the options and change it each time.

i would also like to see them make a piano roll chopper tool and chord tool like they have in FL Studio. they are great tools. i'm getting use to the hot keys and changing the grid settings in ableton and getting busy with the pencil tool, but a midi note chopper like fl studio would be real nice. the chord tool too. ableton's chord and scale tool are cool, but i like in fl studio when you pick a chord and pencil it in, it also puts in the other notes that make up the chord, so you can go in and edit them, shorten, lengthen, etc... in ableton the chord effect is cool, but you just see your root note. you have to create dummy midi clip and record the out there to physically see the other notes. it's a pain and would be better the other way like FL Studio.

the last thing i would say is make the piano roll a little nicer looking, like in FL Studio. where the keys actually look like piano keys and the lines in the grid a little more defined, so it's easier on the eyes. on each key have the note too, not like it is now where you see a few notes and have to zoom way in or mouse over the keys to see the notes pop up.

i agree, the piano roll should pop up on its own window, like is does in FL Studio and many other software programs. It would make things a lot easier. JUST SO YOU KNOW FELLAS, HERE'S A LITTLE TRICK I FIGURED OUT. WHEN YOU STRETCH THE PIANO ROLL ALL THE WAY UP THE SCREEN SO ITS EASIER TO SEE AND WORK ON, THEN YOU WANT TO JUMP BACK AND SEE THE ARRANGEMENT SCREEN AGAIN, HIT SHIFT THEN TAB. YOU CAN JUMP BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THE PIANO ROLL PULLED FULL SCREEN AND THE ARRANGEMNT SCREEN. HOPE THAT HELPS SOME OF YOU.

other than that Ableton Live is the truth!!! and a very slept on programming. They need to step their marketing game up and get cats like you, Buda, Diplo, Skrillez, Ski Beatz, EL-P, Dev79, me and my crew Nod Records and heads that are making good music with it, endorsing it. It would sell more. Ableton is getting crushed by FL Studio, Logic Pro, and Reason with their marketing, promotions and Artist Endorsements.

I've been telling Ableton This For Years and even applied for a sales job with them years ago. They didn't listen. I bet i could have doubled their sales by now and had all kinds of artists endorsing the software, once they knew how to use it, how powerful and limitless it is.

Hopefully they wake up!!! there are a bunch of producers, new and old, especially hip-hop producers that are use to hardware that get lost in Ableton. once they get over the steep learning curve and see how powerful it is, they'd be all over it.

ABLETON WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have one of the best production software packages on the market and your marketing, promotions and artists endorsements suck. With some minor tweaks to the software, with some input from good producers who are using it, you could take over the market. That's my word. Contact me if you want to talk about it. you should have taken me up on my offer years ago. Either way, I'll still be using your product. I'm an artists who swears by it and uses it heavy. Not just some artists trying to endorse it for a Free Copy to try or just to get a check from you. Real Talk.
If you want to do those thing buy what you can get them from. Live is neither FL nor Cubase.

JaCk HoRNer

Post by JaCk HoRNer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:44 am

If you want to do those thing buy what you can get them from. Live is neither FL nor Cubase.
c'mon son! that is a real tool answer. obviously you didn't read or pay attention to what i wrote.

i've been a Live user since version 3. i remember wishing they had devices like sampler and drum rack, then ableton got it done. Live has come a long long way since version 3.

i also use pro tools and can use logic if i need to. never worked with FL Studio or Cubase, nor do i want to. i also use hardware like mpc's, sp-1200's, ensoniq asr-10's, etc... for production.

as far as software for production, ableton live is my choice. whether they make some changes or not, i'll be using ableton live.

the suggestions i made don't seem like they would be hard for ableton to do when they update or come out with a new version.

all i asked was...

1. in arrangement view, when you overdub, it doesn't erase your automation and it doesn't write over you clip, where you have to consolidate after your done overdubbing. how hard is that to fix? it already works like that in session view, wouldn't it be an easy fix to make it the same in arrangement view?

2. make the look a little better in the piano roll and put tools in there like a midi note chopper and chord tool. how hard would that be for a designer to add to the program?

3. put the record quantize setting on the screen somewhere (preferably with hot keys), so you don't have to go into the menu bar every time you want to change them. how hard would that be to add to the program?

4. in session view you can name your sequences 140bpm, etc... so when you trigger them it changes the tempo. in arrangement view they could do something like let you add a tempo change marker that you can name 140bpm and when it hits that spot, the tempo changes just like it does when you trigger a different sequence with a tempo change named in session view. how hard would that be to do?

seriously. i'm not asking them to remake the entire program and copy FL Studio or Cubase, i love ableton. the suggestions i made seemed like easy fixes for ableton, that they could prob do in their sleep, but may have overlooked. most of the things i suggested are already in the program, just a little fine tuning and the workflow would be better.

ableton is like the matrix. i've been using it since version 3 and i'm still learning new tips and tricks that i share back and forth with other producer friends of mine. i'm stickin with ableton for my production even if they don't change anything, but it would be nice with a few new tweaks that would help a lot of people's workflow.

dietarypacifist

Post by dietarypacifist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 am

+1 for improved arrangement view. especially workflow enhancements.

not my job to come up with them. i'm not the damn developer trying to sell a product here.

One Reason

Post by One Reason » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:16 am

Better plugin organization - Many plugins do not read presets correctly when re-organized into other folder, being able to sort plugins and Vsts in my OWN folders would be a god send. Sonar accomplishes this by having a user created hierarchy that is driven only by shortcuts folders instead of moving the folders themselves..... Simple.

2 - What ALL DAWS need... an internal plugin that lets you drag and drop any chosen (from a list\dialog) midi chord onto the track to quickly and easily build chord progressions. The plugin would also preview the list of chords via GM midi.

3. - a native plugin that reads ahead and identifies what chords are being played, either in audio form, so that instead of trying to figure out every damn chord we hear.. we have a visual record of it. (real-time preferred)

4 - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE improve the graphics, a GUI can be graphically pleasing, and still be streamlined.. LIVE kills me with its flat, dull, monotonous GUI. If not... a built in skin\color editor would be.. something.

5 - 64 bit (of course)

6 - Dual monitor support, being able to separate elements of the DAW, not just the two views

7 - Separate, FULL mixer.

8 - a massively improved Piano roll, with randomization, re-riffing, Strumming etc a la FL 10.

9 - Better navigation, vertical resizing.

10 - CUTTING TOOL, right click split seems SO medieval .. more and better tools.

11 - being able to put the browser and track controls on opposite sides.. after years I cant get used to having my track controls on the right.

12 - A virtual keyboard.

13. - A scale tool that once a scale is chosen from a list displays what keys can be played on a keyboard. (Guitar Pro)

14 - A user crash report that tells US.. what plugin, or combination of plugins crashed LIVE. PLEAAAAASE!

15 - STABILITY STABILITY STABILITY. Live is easily the least stable Major DAW on the Market... IMO.

Thanks! and I hope I'm not being too visionary :mrgreen:

Felonius

Post by Felonius » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:13 pm

..and number (16,) keep the retail price below 3 grand after you've added all those goodies.

:twisted:

Ill Frequencies

Post by Ill Frequencies » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Hot swap audio files? Or can you do something like that already..?

Blip

Post by Blip » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 am

bujol wrote:
Monchai wrote:The Beat Repeat is lack of pitch transpose up, right now is only able to transpose down and a multiband compressor would be nice (not just the multiband Dynamic) something with attack, release and ratio etc.. for each band. and don't forget the pitch correction/adjustment FX. Thanks
I vote for that for beat repeat and pitch thing!!
Yes, exactly!!! I think Beat Repeat needs a few improvements that would be very simple to implement, like Pitch Up, Triplets Only, and Odd Intervals.

Ill Frequencies

Post by Ill Frequencies » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 pm

The ability to copy and paste return tracks