THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 pm

joshspoon wrote:I don't know if this was put in the 26 pages of request. But switching thru the banks of 16 on the drum rack w/ a midi controller would be fantastic!
diy..
midi rack... pitch device(s)..chain selector..
I'll let you figure out the rest..
:mrgreen:
Image

maxgraham
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by maxgraham » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:21 pm

an option for a beep when a render is finished. As someone who creates stems and bounces a two hour weekly radio show, a notification to stop reading the news and come back to Ableton when a render is done would probably speed up the work flow. I am not staring at a render box for three mins and constantly checking it would take away from another task that can be focused on during the render time.

small i know but would help.

maxgraham
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by maxgraham » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Deactivating a channel group in one click rather than navigating inside it to turn off synths / effects / strip groups would be nice also.

Inqy
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by Inqy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

1// Option in the preferences to enable multiple Clip-slot outputs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2// Overworked Arpeggiator:
Get rid of the box in which you choose "straight" or the "swing" type
---> add instead a box in which you choose a groove out of the groovepool and add a fader under the box to control the amount of how much the groove
takes affect
-If that is too complex, just add a fader to control the amount of the swing, that is added to the arpeggiator midi effect plugin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3// I want to be able to map properly:
1. the arpeggiator groove type
2. the LFO shape of the Operator plugin
3. every other selection box within ableton
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Idea 1:
Insert an option in the mapping-browser to exclude several midi ranges on an macro dial!! so I would be able to exclude the grooves on the dial, wich i dont want to map!

Idea 2:
Add an controllerunit-folder in the live-devices folder, in which you introduce new "internal midi controllerunits", that can be customised by every user.
In the controllerunit-folder you would have different component for the controller:
1. A "Controller-Rack" in which will be assembling the controller
2. A Knob component
3. A Fader component
4. A Button component

With those Ableton-internal MIDI controllerunits you would finally be able to SAVE and RACK MIDi mappings inside of ableton :!: :!:

So in a nutchell: EVERYTHING mappable, and range adjustable!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4// It should be able to drag a midi intrument onto an audio track, so that is automatically switches to a midi track and the other way round :!:

cash4626
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by cash4626 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Fix all the bugs in 8 first!!!!

leipies
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 am

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by leipies » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Some of these have already been listed, but I am reiterating/adding to the concepts. Please add any of them to the big list that you see fit. Thanks!

1.) A phase correlation meter/goniometer. It's currently impossible to tell if your mix is out of phase without a 3rd party plugin.

2.) The ability to color sections of the arrange view's locator bar in order to visually mark song structure changes.

3.) More flexible navigation of the arrange window. A simple click-and-drag anywhere feature (without having to push additional keyboard buttons).

4.) Quicker, more intuitive vertical/horizontal zoom options. (alt-scroll wheel, ctrl-alt scroll wheel, etc.)

5.) A "No Output" option for track I/O's. (useful for creating a sidechain trigger track with no actual output, among other things.)

6.) A more aesthetically pleasing GUI (3D, more color options, etc). Less Windows '98 looking please, it kills a lot of creative motivation for me upon staring at it for hours on end.

7.) Improved multiple take comps. I like the way Logic did it; if you hit record and loop a section, every subsequent take goes into a sub section of that track. You can then preview all the takes and select pieces from any single one of them to combine into a perfect take.

8.) An easier way to record live performance into Live. Sometimes I will do little remixes of my own song by playing MIDI triggered locators within the song structure. A very simple way to record these actions and/or convert them to clips for quick on the fly remixing/impromptu composition would be amazing.

9.) MP3 export option! WTF!?! (Also as many other formats as you can possibly think of.) Multiple format options simultaneously as well, like bouncing a WAV and a MP3 at the same time would be nice.

10.) An indicator that tells you what note/chord you're playing on a keyboard. Logic had something like this, and it was great for defining non-traditional chord structures on the fly.

11.) Multi-core processor indicator showing the individual cores' processor load. And perhaps an easy way to allocate the specific core's resources to certain tasks in Live.

12.) Border windows around plugins that allow access to certain features of the plugin. (Signal routing, copy/paste current settings, etc.)

13.) Drag and drop information from one instance of Live to another. (clips, tracks, instruments, etc.)

14.) Cleaner arrange window tracks. The current recorded tracks all bump up next to each other and share a common background. It is very confusing to the eyes when you start to get a lot of tracks. Separate them a little more. (Perhaps a more 3D UI could aid in this as well.) Frankly, there's just way too many similar looking lines going on right now.

15.) 64-bit. Obviously. This one hardly needs mentioning. But my extra RAM is getting impatient...

16.) The EQ's should have a spectrum analyzer built in them so you don't have to use two separate plugins.

17.) Sampler should be able to automatically import multiple samples into contiguous zones that are pitch shifted according to the key they fall on but are not tempo shifted.

This is all I can think of at the moment, I'll probably think of 5 more as soon as I submit this. :roll:

tuonodriver
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by tuonodriver » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:17 am

64 bit support pleas hurry up!! :wink:
i' m running out of memory!!! Can not use my 12 GB of ram!!

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:14 am

leipies wrote: 5.) A "No Output" option for track I/O's. (useful for creating a sidechain trigger track with no actual output, among other things.)
you can set the sidechain input to pre-fx or post-fx and the mixer state will not affect it - meaning you can turn off the track button of your side-chain source.

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 am

leipies wrote: 3.) More flexible navigation of the arrange window. A simple click-and-drag anywhere feature (without having to push additional keyboard buttons).
not sure what you mean here - click and drag like the timeline to zoom in/out, or something else?
6.) A more aesthetically pleasing GUI (3D, more color options, etc). Less Windows '98 looking please, it kills a lot of creative motivation for me upon staring at it for hours on end.
Personally I doubt this will happen - most people choose Live because of the simple interface - there are already plenty of others with 3D etc... have you tried changing skins? there are skin editors out there.
8.) An easier way to record live performance into Live. Sometimes I will do little remixes of my own song by playing MIDI triggered locators within the song structure. A very simple way to record these actions and/or convert them to clips for quick on the fly remixing/impromptu composition would be amazing.
You could do this with IAC or MIDI yoke and record the MIDI notes you are triggering the locators with into a MIDI clip - or you could resample as audio into a new audio track
13.) Drag and drop information from one instance of Live to another. (clips, tracks, instruments, etc.)
this is already possible.

leipies
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 am

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by leipies » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:01 am

Forge. wrote:
leipies wrote: 3.) More flexible navigation of the arrange window. A simple click-and-drag anywhere feature (without having to push additional keyboard buttons).
not sure what you mean here - click and drag like the timeline to zoom in/out, or something else?
Ability to click and drag the play head and the ability to zoom with the mouse wheels. Just a more intuitive navigation system.
Forge. wrote:
leipies wrote: 6.) A more aesthetically pleasing GUI (3D, more color options, etc). Less Windows '98 looking please, it kills a lot of creative motivation for me upon staring at it for hours on end.
Personally I doubt this will happen - most people choose Live because of the simple interface - there are already plenty of others with 3D etc... have you tried changing skins? there are skin editors out there.
I don't think that's true. I believe most people choose Ableton for it's innovative approach to music production and integration of live performance. I have heard many people vocalize their dissatisfaction with the flat interface. I agree some people may like it, but don't condemn all of us to that decision. At the very least it should be an option. Also, yes I have customized the skins, but it's never very satisfying. It's the nature of the interface that I (and others) have issues with, not the customization of it.
Forge. wrote:
leipies wrote: 8.) An easier way to record live performance into Live. Sometimes I will do little remixes of my own song by playing MIDI triggered locators within the song structure. A very simple way to record these actions and/or convert them to clips for quick on the fly remixing/impromptu composition would be amazing.
You could do this with IAC or MIDI yoke and record the MIDI notes you are triggering the locators with into a MIDI clip - or you could resample as audio into a new audio track
But I'm looking for a native, built in way to accomplish these things. MIDI yoke may work, but I don't want to have to use externals for things like this. Because with that mentality Ableton could just not make tons of features available and have us rely on external applications to make our workflow viable. Ableton needs to be a complete system, which can only ultimately help with the innovation of the DAW in it's entirety anyway. When Ableton users are forced to look outside of Ableton to do something specific, they should take it as a sign that it's a feature they should consider implementing.
Forge. wrote:
leipies wrote: 13.) Drag and drop information from one instance of Live to another. (clips, tracks, instruments, etc.)
this is already possible.
Maybe I've just missed this,. but every time I try to drop and drag a clip (or copy/paste) from one instance of Ableton to another it doesn't work. Is there some process i'm missing?

Martin Gifford
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 am

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 am

MY ABLETON SUGGESTIONS:

1. Drum midi map: Drum labels need to be brighter to be readable when using a dark skin.

2. Clip Envelopes: Things like Pitch Bend need to give some indication of the pitch (G#, A, Ab, etc.) we are rising or falling to. Currently there are meaningless numbers. Of course, this is only a problem for people with musical bad ears (like me).

3. Notes Box: Make the double and half speed clearer, i.e. use a big divide or minus 2 sign and a big multiply or plus 2 sign.

4. VST Plug-In Custom Folder: Allow multiple folders for VST instruments and effects like in Studio One.

5. Midi and drum editor: needs alternating shading for each bar, darker bar lines, and darker numbers on the first beat of each bar so it is easy to see where you are.

6. Comments/lyrics: I'd like a comments box available on right clicking a clip in session view that works exactly like in Excel. It is much better than editing the information view, which most people keep turned off after learning the basics of the program.

7. Overall GUI: Currently, it looks like someone just drew the GUI on flat butcher paper - very uninspiring. So I think there should be an option for a prettier interface like this beauty:

Image.

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 am

leipies wrote:
Forge. wrote:
leipies wrote: 3.) More flexible navigation of the arrange window. A simple click-and-drag anywhere feature (without having to push additional keyboard buttons).
not sure what you mean here - click and drag like the timeline to zoom in/out, or something else?
Ability to click and drag the play head and the ability to zoom with the mouse wheels. Just a more intuitive navigation system.
+1 one on the mouse wheels - although I'd personally prefer a modifier to zoom as I use it all the time to scroll
by click and drag the play head, do you mean like scrubbing? If so, Just turn off the quantise.


leipies wrote:
Forge. wrote: I don't think that's true. I believe most people choose Ableton for it's innovative approach to music production and integration of live performance. I have heard many people vocalize their dissatisfaction with the flat interface. I agree some people may like it, but don't condemn all of us to that decision. At the very least it should be an option. Also, yes I have customized the skins, but it's never very satisfying. It's the nature of the interface that I (and others) have issues with, not the customization of it.
I guess what I'm getting at is more that I highly doubt Ableton would change this. They are apparently pretty attached to it!


leipies wrote:
Forge. wrote: You could do this with IAC or MIDI yoke and record the MIDI notes you are triggering the locators with into a MIDI clip - or you could resample as audio into a new audio track
But I'm looking for a native, built in way to accomplish these things. MIDI yoke may work, but I don't want to have to use externals for things like this. Because with that mentality Ableton could just not make tons of features available and have us rely on external applications to make our workflow viable. Ableton needs to be a complete system, which can only ultimately help with the innovation of the DAW in it's entirety anyway. When Ableton users are forced to look outside of Ableton to do something specific, they should take it as a sign that it's a feature they should consider implementing.

maybe you could give another example? I think your example of recording MIDI mapped locator changes in the arranger is quite specialised. The arranger is meant to be where you end up AFTER recording that performance - so in other words the expectation is probably that you would do that performance in session view with scenes as that is the performance interface. Not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to do what you're doing, just that it's an "unconventional" way of trying to record a performance that is probably not widely used, and to implement it would probably be quite a headache (i.e. - how would they do it? if you are already in the arranger, which is where the recordings go, how can you record the recordings and simultaneously play it back?

It would be pretty easy for you to select a section in the arranger, copy, then paste into session on scenes so you can jam it properly with all the benefits of session view. If you want to use pre-recorded automation, then copy the section the automation is on, then press the envelope lock button so that you don't overwrite it.

I'd be keen to hear any other ideas you have on this though, I definitely agree they could provide more advanced ways of recording. But I'm just saying for your locator one I think you would probably have to just accept a 3rd party workaround.
leipies wrote:
Forge. wrote: this is already possible.
Maybe I've just missed this,. but every time I try to drop and drag a clip (or copy/paste) from one instance of Ableton to another it doesn't work. Is there some process i'm missing?
you need to drag clips to the browser first, which makes them live clips, then drag them into the new set to do it that way, but it's easier to expand a Live set in the browser, then expand a track, then you can drag any clip from the track to your current set

leipies
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 am

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by leipies » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:58 am

Forge. wrote: +1 one on the mouse wheels - although I'd personally prefer a modifier to zoom as I use it all the time to scroll
by click and drag the play head, do you mean like scrubbing? If so, Just turn off the quantise.
Well I'll explain it from the perspective of the first DAW I used back in the day which was Logic. It had very natural feeling arrange window navigation. You would expect the mouse to behave that way, similar to how web pages work, digital documents, computer games or other media forms our culture is readily exposed to. Click on something to select it. Hold and click the mouse button and it 'grabs' the screen, then as you move the mouse it scrolls left/right, let go to release. mouse wheel scrolls up/down. shft-click gives a selection box to drag over things. Modifier plus mouse wheel zooms horizontal, different modifier + MW zooms vertical. You can also physically grab the play head to surgically place it where you want at any given time. Space bar starts/stops, enter recycles the playhead but does not stop it. Conversely, The clicking to highlight in Ableton, the clicking and having the play head cycle in a quantized way, the lack of MW, the need to scroll with a modifier or by physically going up into the top bar (which zooms vertical, zooms horizontal and scrolls left and right) all feel very unnatural based on the traditional media navigation techniques of the internet and other technology that is so commonplace in our day to day lives. At least imho.
Forge. wrote: I guess what I'm getting at is more that I highly doubt Ableton would change this. They are apparently pretty attached to it!

I hope this is not the case, as simply integrating an option would satisfy both camps.
Forge. wrote: maybe you could give another example? I think your example of recording MIDI mapped locator changes in the arranger is quite specialised. The arranger is meant to be where you end up AFTER recording that performance - so in other words the expectation is probably that you would do that performance in session view with scenes as that is the performance interface. Not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to do what you're doing, just that it's an "unconventional" way of trying to record a performance that is probably not widely used, and to implement it would probably be quite a headache (i.e. - how would they do it? if you are already in the arranger, which is where the recordings go, how can you record the recordings and simultaneously play it back?

It would be pretty easy for you to select a section in the arranger, copy, then paste into session on scenes so you can jam it properly with all the benefits of session view. If you want to use pre-recorded automation, then copy the section the automation is on, then press the envelope lock button so that you don't overwrite it.

I'd be keen to hear any other ideas you have on this though, I definitely agree they could provide more advanced ways of recording. But I'm just saying for your locator one I think you would probably have to just accept a 3rd party workaround.
Well for starters they could create a special input type which allows that track to only record the audio output and is not effected by any MIDI locator changes, something to the equivalent of what soundflower does (but it would be recording MIDI and audio). So you could be triggering MIDI locators and simultaneously recording it in the arrange window. The reason for this would be that, if in a live performance you were improvising some clips from session view and recorded a spontaneous loop, you could immediately begin resampling that loop in the arrange window with premarked locators which you could then MIDI trigger. You could switch back and forth between session and arrange continuously giving yourself new fodder for live resampling. And it would be really awesome if you could create separate 'pages of arrange views' that would automatically condense an entire arrange view into what would essentially be a single track, although no bouncing would be required because it would only manipulate it like a single track in a global arrange view. But on the global arrange view each track would just be a minimized version of an entire local arrange view. You would essential be turning the arrange view into a giant clip view, but live. And each of these 'clips' would be marked throughout with MIDI trigger locators. Would open up a lot of possibilities live.
Forge. wrote: you need to drag clips to the browser first, which makes them live clips, then drag them into the new set to do it that way, but it's easier to expand a Live set in the browser, then expand a track, then you can drag any clip from the track to your current set
Ok, it's not as seamless as dragging and dropping directly, but it does have the added benefit that its stored for later use. I could get used to this.

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by Forge. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:05 pm

leipies wrote:...
Well for starters they could create a special input type which allows that track to only record the audio output and is not effected by any MIDI locator changes, something to the equivalent of what soundflower does (but it would be recording MIDI and audio). So you could be triggering MIDI locators and simultaneously recording it in the arrange window. The reason for this would be that, if in a live performance you were improvising some clips from session view and recorded a spontaneous loop, you could immediately begin resampling that loop in the arrange window with premarked locators which you could then MIDI trigger. You could switch back and forth between session and arrange continuously giving yourself new fodder for live resampling. .
okay, I am not sure I understand. At the moment locators are quantized, meaning that if you trigger one, it will only come in on the bar if the global quantise is set to 1 bar or more.

So if you set up a track in the arranger, set the input to "resample", then trigger the clip as you trigger your arrangement, then it will record everything you do from then on to audio.

What is it not doing that you wish it was?

leipies
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 am

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by leipies » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Forge. wrote: okay, I am not sure I understand. At the moment locators are quantized, meaning that if you trigger one, it will only come in on the bar if the global quantise is set to 1 bar or more.

So if you set up a track in the arranger, set the input to "resample", then trigger the clip as you trigger your arrangement, then it will record everything you do from then on to audio.

What is it not doing that you wish it was?
I guess the best way to describe what I'm talking about would be to call it a 'Global Arrange Matrix'.

Say you build a loop with the session view, you have a bunch of samples or whatever assigned to some MIDI triggers, and you build this cool loop and you record it to the arrange view. Then you can, for example record that same loop to several different 'local arrange' tracks simultaneously (each one is what we are used to as the traditional arrange view, but there are multiple ones.) So say we set the record feature to record our session jam into 3 different local arrange channels. We now have 3 unique arrange sessions of the same loop, but each one is essentially it's own track or clip within a 'global arrange' session that oversees them all. Since they are individual tracks, each can have it's own FX chain, live automation, quantize settings, etc.

Each of these can have custom placed MIDI triggered locators and since they are in a global state you can trigger between any of these 3 'tracks' at any quantize value, and with any custom FX chain and live automation. Then, further still, you can set a new 'local arrange' input to resample, and will be recording the output of your new live jam of the 3 tracks and then create a 4th track on the global level, also available with its own FX, automation, quantize, etc. And the process is restricted only by your imagination. Since there is no bouncing required, you are creating a custom, evolving global clip matrix with endless abilities to customize, rewrite, resample, etc on the fly without ever having to hit stop.

Post Reply