THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
golemus2

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by golemus2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Here is my requests (in priority order). I haven't read the topic so I dont know if somebody suggested these already:

0. correction of out of memory bug
1. Better stability and efficiency than current live 8
2. correction of automation timing issues (with high latency automation will be out of sync and happen later than you see in the curve), and better latency compensation when using sends / return channels.

2. More sidechaining possibilities, eg. sidechainable equalization with peak controller like in FL Studio
3. alternative (more fat) filter for sidechaining in addition to autofilter
4. better compability for plugins, especially keyboard search function and program change message routing
5. basic wave editor properties integrated to Live like: insert silence, normalize, amplify, show spectrum, equalize, process with VST effect.
6. granularity in simpler (variation) in addition to wave clips in audio tracks
7. VST 3.0 support
8. support for 64-bit memory space (I don't think that support for 64-bit plugins is in such a hurry as few plugin instances would need over 4GB RAM)
9. support for more than one VST folder
10. improved tapping accuracy / algorithm (now you have to tap like hundred of times before it gets accurate beat) and ability to tap without project starting to play
11. possibility to make groups inside groups (e.g. you could do a hihat group inside drum group)
12. possibility to make tracks and groups in arrangent (and why not session) view temporarily invisible
13. better quality EQ plug integrated to Live with sidechain possibility and spectrum visualization (like in FL studio)
14. possibility to sync with some of the portable sequencer (e.g. in nintendo DS :)
15. melodyne type pitch correction or formant modification integration to Live (although might be pretty complicated ... :)
16. a window for monitoring MIDI messages (like MIDI-ox)

filterit

Post by filterit » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 pm

1) Poly Pressure MIDI messages

My only request

danger

Post by danger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:40 pm

why do you need vst3 support?

and as for "8. support for 64-bit memory space (I don't think that support for 64-bit plugins is in such a hurry as few plugin instances would need over 4GB RAM)", if a daw is 64bit, then the plugins should be 64 bit too, otherwise you need to use bitbridge and increasing the system unstability and sacrifice performance -> solution for you 0. too.

+ multiple screen support with dragable areas.

ourapollo

Post by ourapollo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Here is my main request:

A coffee cup holder.

adamj

Post by adamj » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:57 am

There's a couple things I want that I didn't see anyone else request yet:

1. GATE: The option to use independent thresholds for opening and closing the gate (AKA "hysteresis" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate). This can be used to manage some "choppiness" when gating a track, especially if you're using side chain gating to add some rhythmic interest to a track.

2. A "continue playing" follow action. Similar to "no action", except I want the follow actions to keep being retried after the next follow action period ("no action" ignores the follow actions until you launch the clip again). "Play again" and legato mode don't quite do what I want.
Adam Murray
Live 9 + Push on OS X 10.10

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 pm

supported and integrated ClyphX type api scripting clips (+ stuff like the trackdefs script).

http://beatwise.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=716

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Cubase style ghost copy clips .......and more control surface slots please ;-)
D
:D

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm

midi control of show/hide plugin window

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:25 am

Tie Clips in Arrangement - Select clips on a track and pull them together

Export clips as individual files through plugins on the track/master

ITU-R BS1770 loudness metering

c7n

Post by c7n » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:45 am

Hmm, here are a couple that have been bugging me for awhile.

1. Audio routing templates.

I have several Motu sound cards, and sometimes I just plug in a set of headphones to play with live as I don't feel like opening a flight case or heading to my studio and plugging in my computer to all of the gear. Making music is fun, some times you just sort of want to break out from the various routines we fall into, and just make a track because it's fun and we are in the mood...

Yet, all of a sudden I realize my default template requires 10 audio outs (4 stereo tracks setup via a matrix mixer so any of my tracks can go anywhere) and (1 stereo effect return)... so now I have to reroute a bunch of crap then I get to start whatever audio alchemy is about to ensue. Can't I just select a different "audio template" or something like that? I.E. If I'm at my studio, can't I just get certain busses and sends which automatically route a certain way? If I'm using my travel rig and I plugin to that can't it automatically know how I want that piped up to my mixer? If I just plugin a set of headphones to my laptops audio output can't it just let me tell it that's what I want ableton live to do and act accordingly?

I guess this leads me to my next one...

2. [Audio Engine OFF: when any sound card becomes unplugged (intentionally or not)]

I can understand needing some sort of default behavior when an audio output is suddenly no longer available... your essentially sending information to a pipe that isn't there anymore. But does it have to disable the audio engine? It just seems like it makes recovering from unwanted silence in a live scenario, well a scary situation. As it stands I usually keep a pvdj grabber on hand and use it to constantly mix in and out various elements from various tracks throughout the set. I keep it handy because it's fun and adds a level of spontaneity... but also because the prospect of dead silence, while I'm trying to tell live that I have now plugged the cable back in. [It just seems like there could be a better method.]

To tie this together with my first one. If my firewire cable becomes unplugged, yet I have selected a firewire soundcard audio template, can't you just tell live to calm the fuck down as I'm probably going to plug the cable back in as fast as I can so the show can keep on keeping on?

3. Audio routing saved per song. (Why)?

This sort of goes with the first one. How come my audio routing is saved with each song? Seriously, that just seems way overly coupled. I like that my plug ins have there settings saved with each song, that effects my songs sounds directly. So does my audio routing as insert or sends, parallel or serial matter a HUGE amount to the overall track. So I understand that your trying to provide an audio template which is saved with each song...

That said, anytime I open up a track which is older... I have no idea how my studios mixer, effects, etc. were wired back then. So whatever was going on that day is sort of lost in time. At this point my old tracks just sort of sit there unless I really just get curious and start wondering what the hell it sounds like if I open an old file and hit play. Usually I'm forced to figure out a bit of routing just to get it to the speakers.

I feel like a certain level of things shouldn't really matter. I.E. if I just want to skip routing schemes can't you just send everything to a user defined template such as:

Headphones Template: send master, and cue to the same thing

Live Rig Template: send audio to a matrix'ed send setup so I can send anything anywhere, send effects to a particular set of stereo outs, send cue to the headphone out.

4. Audio glitching and crashing:

When live starts beach balling... I don't really know if it's going to come back anymore. I started using live at version 3, and I can remember that as far back as version 5 when I started asking live to do as much as my computer could handle... the screen became unresponsive and didn't refresh yet the audio never did an unwanted glitch. Sometimes the screen would make some rather freakishly slow screen draws, or pluggin window move effects... but the audio would never glitch and live wouldn't crash. If at that point I started asking live to do more, by adding in more tracks, or pluggins then the audio out of live would stutter and if pushed further live would crash. Seriously I could run projects that were constantly at 100% CPU on the CPU meter, and yet the audio wouldn't ever stutter, the screen draws might fall behind but the audio just wouldn't stutter.

Compare that to live's current stability. WTF happened?

bujol

Post by bujol » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 am

Monchai wrote:The Beat Repeat is lack of pitch transpose up, right now is only able to transpose down and a multiband compressor would be nice (not just the multiband Dynamic) something with attack, release and ratio etc.. for each band. and don't forget the pitch correction/adjustment FX. Thanks
I vote for that for beat repeat and pitch thing!!
http://bujorock.com
MacBook Pro, Fireface 400, Monome 64, Korg R3, KaossPad, Nanokontrol, Launchpad, LPK25, Oxygen49, BCR2000, Novation Remote Zero
Live and Logic

tomh

Post by tomh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 am

I DJ with live, yet I pick and choose songs to play out in Itunes with playlists.

It would be awesome to be able to access those playlists easily via lives browser section. I have to create the playlist in itunes then drag all of those songs to a separate folder then, I am able to access it from lives browser which can be a pain!

lalo

Post by lalo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

CONTROLLER COMBOS ( key + key, key + midi, midi + midi )

i.e. pressing A + B on the computer keyboard does something, A + C something different
the same with Midi
CC1 + CC2 does something, CC1 + CC3 something different

even MIDI and keyboard combos

i.e. CC1 + "A" and CC1 + "B" control different things

a.

lalo

Post by lalo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Be able to invert polarity for controllers controlling ON/OFF things ( like fx bypass or track on/off ).
this can be useful if you need to turn on one thing and off another at the same time using the same controller ( MIDI or key )

alfonso

the_songcabinet

Post by the_songcabinet » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 am

Man, some awesome suggestions in this thread!
Don't have time to read through it all, so I'm just posting my needs.
If those overlaps others', I hope it will just reinforce the suggestion.

1. A STABLE program! This comes before anything else. I spend weeks (litterally, when I add the overall time spent!) on restarting the computer after runtime errors and engine errors. Never had to in Live 7.

2. COMPING feature for both audio and midi! I work a lot in arrangement mode (yes, guilty of using Live as a regular daw, also), and this is the way to record bass, guitar, vocals ect. Could save a LOT of mouse work!

3. More PRESETS! I do tweak, and sound design ect., but not all the time. I don't work a lot with my own templates, so I rely heavily on presets as a starting point when editing & mixing. I suggest maybe organize presets in genres, like pop, rock, dance ect., to help speed up the process of finding stuff.

4. A more dedicated MIDI gui. I would prefer a third screen for midi only, like you have the session view, arrangement view, and midi view (maybe even an audio view). I love the way Pro Tools have cracked this, and it almost made me swap. Of course I didn't, Live is ages ahead, but I think more could be done for us regular daw users, in general.

5. Smoother COMPATIBILITY with third party plug-ins. I use a LOT of third party plugs. IK Multimedia, East West, Izotope, NI, Spectrasonics ect. ect. And it seems to me there are some issues from time to time.

I like the new parter instruments programme, and can find stuff there that I like, but I wish there were more "go-to" (or "bread and butter") options for musicians who's not always on the edge of sound design, but need sublime high quality vsti's that's sample based. Then I would LOVE it!

Anyway, not suggestions on the expert level like many in this thread (Thank's guys!), yet still small things I'd find practical in my daily use of Live.