THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
synnack

Re: THE NEW BIG USER REQUESTS TOPIC FOR LIVE9!!!!

Post by synnack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Joshua_313 wrote: So my specific request is that the user be able to change the meter range and also toggle between Peak value and RMS.
Big +1 for me. Sick of using different 3rd party plugins for this.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Vaclav

Post by Vaclav » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Some support for Mac's trackpad gestures. At least these that came to my mind:
- zoom in/out in sample/piano roll when pinching
- rack's knobs control with rotary motion

imho, the first one is neccesity and the second one would be pretty cool :)

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Changing multiple same parameters with selected Chains in a Group.
Imagine having 128 Samples in a drum rack and you want a choke 1 on all of them. You have to go through each sample. What if I wanted to Map the ADSR controls of each sample to the rack macro? Gotta do it one at a time. It's kind of an administrative PITA I figured would be native to 8.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, Renaming multiple selections with additional syntax.
It'd be nice to rename clips in bulk and have auto-generated numbers if a hashtag is as added at the end of the name.

If I have 15 clips and I just want a numeric progression to the end of the name I type: Vox Cho #
And I would get Vox Cho 01, 02, 03, etc.

Maybe also if I use 3 hashtags at the end of the name, they'll start as 001, 002, 003, if 2 hashtags = 01, 02; 1 hashtag= 1,2 but automatically goes to double digit mode after 9,
You get the idea.

These time savers would kick ass.
ImageImage

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

it would be great if i could make my own presets for "Slice to new Midi-Track"not only with drumracks (also with instrument racks with just 1 sampler)
Last edited by stoersignal on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vaclav

Post by Vaclav » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am

Vaclav wrote:Some support for Mac's trackpad gestures. At least these that came to my mind:
- zoom in/out in sample/piano roll when pinching
- rack's knobs control with rotary motion

imho, the first one is neccesity and the second one would be pretty cool :)
this would rather be minor update, like 8.2.3. not 9.

danger

Post by danger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 pm

i hope once they do the 64 bit, they ll make an own automatic bridge, so if you just drag in a 32 bit plugin it ll bridge it without any nonsense or 3rd party plugs.

anagramm

Post by anagramm » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Midi Topics to be confronted in Ableton Live:
Felyon wrote:Some really wicked ideas.
I agree that the MIDI editing abilities from Live could be more advanced and need more space on the screen.
Really annoying is a missing shortcut to open and close the GUI of the plugins.
I would prefer s.th. like CTRL+1 for midi track 1, CTRL+2 for the second MIDI track to open and close the GUI and so on.
Or a freely assignable MIDI controller command to open GUI for each track.
Minimum requirement would be a better placement of the button, maybe in the title bar of the tracks.

Tap tempo without autostart after 3 or 4 beats is a must for live use in my opinion.
Especially when you play together with non-MIDI musicians!
The workarounds with 8/8 measure or similar are inacceptable!!

Phil
I totally agree with the above mentioned quote, for me the possibility to assign midi mapping to open the GUI of plugins seems quite essential.
I am working with a live looping setup, and the missing midi assignment for opening the GUI for a plugin is really quite painful. As it is now it considerably limits the spontaneity that actually that is written on the flag of Ableton.

Another really big problem is, that it's not possible to change the bar meter via midi. It is only possible to do it via a marker in the arrangement view, and only when working with a automation track that keeps running. Consequently, bar meter changes can not be effected when working live on stage, following the course of the music at any given moment.
Yes, I do come from an improvisational point of view....
Same story, different consequences.
What happens to somebody who tries to work with a live looping setup and doesn't want to play in the same bar meter throughout all the tune, but doesn't have his hands free to fiddle around with the mouse to change it? The bar meter affects the syncing of many Live plugins.

Another big issue, that we started to discuss with Christian Kleine of the Ableton support and Matthias Grob, the inventor of the Echoplex Digital Pro, a great looping tool (and some of it's basic ideas can be found in Abletons loop plugin) is a faulty synchronisation that is obviously sent by Live to the loop plugins. I am working with the VST version of the Echoplex Digital Pro, also a development of Matthias Grob, allowing the whole thing to go stereo and berserk in a positive way (unlimited tracks etc...) (http://www.mathons.at).

When I started working with it in Live, it wasn't possible to play in any other bar meter than 4/4.
Already in 3/4 time, the sync from live came in on the 2 of the bar!!
Let alone playing tunes in 7/8, 11/8 17/8 or anything else a bit more complicated.
Thanks to Matthias, who has found a workaround for this, it is now possible to use all these bar meters. BUT: if the bar meter in a tune needs to be changed, the problem shows up again, for the workaround has got something to do with counting from the beginning of the automation track. It just shows that the basic problem needs to be solved.
I verified that these same sync problems occur also with different loop plugins, like Moebius, or Super Looper.

I know that there were some holdups on both sides, but for me a quick solution for this bug is going to decide on whether or not I will be able to expand further with Ableton Live.

Please, find a solution for these issues. The concept of Ableton is fantastic, but I think that Midi Sync and Midi Control are central issues for a DAW like Ableton Live, and it is obvious that there are limitations exactly in areas that are supposed to be among this programs core capacities.

Best regards

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm

And there still isn't a shortcut for envelopes in clips is there (without VitaminC)?
ImageImage

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Most important:
- stability and efficiency, and project loading times / closing times, plugin loading times back to where they are supposed to be
- custom views (you could choose different tracks visible in different views), the end of up-down scrolling in arrangement view or side scrolling in session view) !!!
- bouncing (choose tracks, right click, select from menu: "Bounce to new audio track). Also sends bouncing (you could bounce heavy reverbs and then put the reverb to instruments group to process its dynamics together with the instruments)
- better workflow for working with multiple output VST plugins (Kontakt, Hypersonic, M1, etc..)
- some better way to manage numerous VST plugin windows. e.g. autohide combined with "pin to screen" (from S1) would be good.
- support for Vocoder plugin sidechains (many do not work)

Less, but still important:
- sidechain to EQ8 like in FL, and sidechain to MB compressor
- auto-filter with a large amount of different sounding filter functions

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Favorite plugin list. You could right click a plugin (either Live or VST), then choose add as favorite. Then you could choose this list from the left side of browser. There might be even another list (favorite samples list).

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Tue May 03, 2011 3:37 am

golemus2 wrote:Favorite plugin list. You could right click a plugin (either Live or VST), then choose add as favorite. Then you could choose this list from the left side of browser. There might be even another list (favorite samples list).
Now that's good.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Tue May 03, 2011 4:46 pm

golemus2 wrote:Favorite plugin list. You could right click a plugin (either Live or VST), then choose add as favorite. Then you could choose this list from the left side of browser. There might be even another list (favorite samples list).
Definitely. Although it's not bothering me that much, I definitely don't need to see Beat Repeat, Dynamic Tube, EQ Three or Vinyl Distortion all the time.

---

I would really like if changing a track's name and colour would also affect its clips, as illustrated below:

Instead of current behaviour,
img.1

it would be neat to have it behave like this:
img.2

---

It would also be cool if when recording from session view onto arrangement view, that each scene change would insert a locator!

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed May 04, 2011 2:41 pm

even better if the track's background and the mixer channel would get some of the color as well. Right now it's very hard to see where you are in the mixer because the track color and name are all the way at the top, while the mixer is all the way at the botton.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm

snakedogman wrote:even better if the track's background and the mixer channel would get some of the color as well. Right now it's very hard to see where you are in the mixer because the track color and name are all the way at the top, while the mixer is all the way at the botton.
Yes, that would be perfect. Even for basic sequencing like I do, it gets pretty hard to keep track of things with more than 20 tracks. I can only imagine how people with more complex projects must have it.

condra

Post by condra » Thu May 05, 2011 2:09 am

better browser
less mousing