Resizing horizontal width of Channels in session view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jasefos

Resizing horizontal width of Channels in session view

Post by jasefos » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am

Howdy All ...

In Session view, currently horizontal widths of columns are predetermined and cannot be customised.

This is particularly annoying when working with a fairly low resolution device (e.g. most data projectors are limited to 1024 x 768 resolution maximum). Horizontal screen realestate is precious!

If columns could be resizablable "spreadsheet style" on either a per column basis (great for being able to read clip titles longer than the width of the default column width) OR per "channel type" basis e.g. Tracks have one setting / FX channels have one setting that would excellent.

Currently when working on a large Ableton Project having many FX Channels significant horizontal screen real estate is wasted. Since it's not possible to place clips into slots within the FX Channels why make them the same width as Clip slots in Tracks ? Once you've got more than a few FX Channels, horizontal scrolling slows workflow.

Just a suggestion which may hopefully find its way into a future version.

; )
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

jer

bump you back!

Post by jer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:22 am

I've thought for a long time that this could be improved some way...especially for the reading file names thing! also a way to just make everything bigger (especially the launch part of the clip so it's easier to click on...I'm sure the few pioneers out there working with touchscreens would love that!!)

best
Jeremy
amd 1600+ 1.5gb ddr, mucho HD, winxp

tylast

Post by tylast » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:10 am

I agree with the resizing. I was also thinking about a hover over that would make the titles scroll across. Thoughts?

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:54 am

Mouse Hover to make titles scroll would be a good idea as well !

Cool idea
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2

jer

Post by jer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:05 am

anything in this vane can be help can be helpful! mouse hover wouldn't be useful if you are triggering your clips via midi though...
Actually another idea I suggested is a way to be able to select clips from midi as if you had clicked on them with the mouse but without triggering them...i.e. it would bring up their waveform and clip properties if you were looking at the track FX....

would this help anybody else?
amd 1600+ 1.5gb ddr, mucho HD, winxp

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:31 am

Jer,

Interesting idea! MY only comment would be that they need a "relative" way to do this. Tieing the midi note to just one clip would mean I would run out notes LONG before I assigned all my clips.

I really wish Ableton had more relative commands :( Ala, note C2 always selects Track 3's clip on whatever the CURRENTLY selected scene is.

pix

Post by pix » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:06 am

Hi!

I´m thinking about this for quite some time as well. One way to do it would be to minimize the tracks. This is specially important when you do a lot of buses and crazy routings. One little square on the top of the track (could be a little square displaying the track number) would minimize to the width of a mute button. You could still be able to mute/solo whatever but the tracks would just be thinner. Clicking on the top of the clip would bring it back.

This is great when you´re ready to jam on the thing and don´t wan´t to arrange/sequence anymory.

let´s make a session view de-clustering lobby!

:wink:

:)

pix

Post by pix » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:08 am

is no "edit" function here?!?

btw, we could trigger the clips as well. different colours would do the job.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:45 am

pix wrote:is no "edit" function here?!?

btw, we could trigger the clips as well. different colours would do the job.
In addition to your suggestion Pix I'd still definitely like to be able to resize session view columns on a track by track basis "spread sheet style" ...

It would be great to be able to lock and unlock the GUI customisation otherwise one could accidentally be resizing while performing live and launching clips.

If the customisation of column widths (GUI lock/unlock function perhaps) could be accessed in a similar manner to MIDI and QWERTY keyboard remote assignment mode .... the icon for this switch could even appear adjacent to the MIDI and QWERTY keyboard assignment mode switches.

Dear Ableton gods ....
The way you've implemented this assignment mode is exceptional and very intuitive ! Nice work ! (the only further refinements I'd like to see in the assignment mode is in QWERTY mode being able to assign absolutely any computer keyboard shortcut to anything including various modifier key combinations).

Incidentally it would also be great to be able to import sets of MIDI/QWERTY keyboard assignments into existing projects (or make a global set of them which could be stored as Presets - similar to the way Cubase SX does it).
JaseFOS

bugqueen

Post by bugqueen » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:05 pm

Resizing tracks would be phantastic for my needs, too! - lots of tracks, no quick overview

Problem growth, since in a play,an actor has to control a mac via vnc with a notebook pc. The display resolutions of mac and pc are not the same :( He depends on seeing his midi-devices (in the clip names) and same time having a good overview over all tracks to decide which clip he plays.
Bugqueen, theatre maniac