Score-Editor MISSING

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Post Reply
Noten-Editor
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Score-Editor MISSING

Post by Noten-Editor » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi,

there's missing a SCORE EDITOR. Indispensable for transcription and score printing for professional non-electronic live music bands - THEY STILL EXIST AND ALWAYS WILL!!

Cubase has one, Logic too - why Ableton doesn't? It's missing!
So, please implement (a very good) one.

Greetz

webslave
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:07 am

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by webslave » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Noten-Editor wrote:Hi,

there's missing a SCORE EDITOR. Indispensable for transcription and score printing for professional non-electronic live music bands - THEY STILL EXIST AND ALWAYS WILL!!

Cubase has one, Logic too - why Ableton doesn't? It's missing!
So, please implement (a very good) one.

Greetz
I would love one as well, except I always get the feeling that Ableton don't really care much for music that doesn't have beats, loops and bleeps. I've been putting together some music for my band and have moved back to Live form Logic as I don't use Logic enough to work quickly in it. Ableton gets me closer to the waveforms quicker so I can nudge real drum beats back into time and that would be great if it wasn't for a lack of better navigation in arrange view - the usual things, no scroll wheel zoom, no comping etc.

I mention this because I really feel that Ableton are missing several tricks by trying to keep things all a bit electronica. With other DAWs chomping at the bit the next version of Live needs to stop adding more ways to filter synths and add in more of the proper controls that folks like me need. Stuff like better compression (multiband please), EQing and reverb - the bread and butter of a good mix. And scores are another staple of many musicans. I'm looking to arrange some horns for a gig we're doing in a few months time and having done all my mixes and recoding in Live it's a shame I have to go elsewhere to do some real music stuff.

HeadrickProductions
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:01 pm

webslave wrote:
Noten-Editor wrote:Hi,

there's missing a SCORE EDITOR. Indispensable for transcription and score printing for professional non-electronic live music bands - THEY STILL EXIST AND ALWAYS WILL!!

Cubase has one, Logic too - why Ableton doesn't? It's missing!
So, please implement (a very good) one.

Greetz
I would love one as well, except I always get the feeling that Ableton don't really care much for music that doesn't have beats, loops and bleeps. I've been putting together some music for my band and have moved back to Live form Logic as I don't use Logic enough to work quickly in it. Ableton gets me closer to the waveforms quicker so I can nudge real drum beats back into time and that would be great if it wasn't for a lack of better navigation in arrange view - the usual things, no scroll wheel zoom, no comping etc.

I mention this because I really feel that Ableton are missing several tricks by trying to keep things all a bit electronica. With other DAWs chomping at the bit the next version of Live needs to stop adding more ways to filtWhy er synths and add in more of the proper controls that folks like me need. Stuff like better compression (multiband please), EQing and reverb - the bread and butter of a good mix. And scores are another staple of many musicans. I'm looking to arrange some horns for a gig we're doing in a few months time and having done all my mixes and recoding in Live it's a shame I have to go elsewhere to do some real music stuff.
The thing I am learning is that live (and all DAW's) can only do so much. Since it distinguishes it self in it's ability to be used as a very effective performance tool, I feel that if they spread themselves any thinner that it will result in more issues. I would love for live to be a one stop shop for everything, but that is just not a reality. I am a musician so I understand your frustration. The way I first heard about live was a producer explaining to me that he brainstorms in live and then drops his tracks into tools to finish. It will be hard for a program to run the distance from live performance (smart mixing, "the bridge", session view) all the way to the best DAW to record,master, and produce final cuts.

just my take on things

are there not a notation software that has rewire

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Sibelius6.html
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

KrisM
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: TX, USA

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by KrisM » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 am

I'd rather buy Sibelius, Finale, or even Cubase or Logic than have Ableton add notation to Live.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

HeadrickProductions
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 am

In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

re.mark
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm
Location: UK

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by re.mark » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:30 pm

KrisM wrote:I'd rather buy Sibelius, Finale, or even Cubase or Logic than have Ableton add notation to Live.
This.
Live - to me - is a performance tool first and foremost; and its features should reflect so.

neyko
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by neyko » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:09 am

I'd love to see this feature, but as Ableton does not have it you can use Finale which costs about 50 US dollars.

Export the track as a midi file and simply import it into Finale.

This feature would undoubtedly add to the price of Ableton. This may be a straw man argument, but might even lead to bugs. (Is straw man the correct term in this case?)

Anyway, importing an Ableton midi file into Finale works well.
Live 8 Suite iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM & Macbook - 4gig RAM - Snow Leopard OS X - 2.4 Ghz - Apogee Duet - M-Audio Oxygen 49 - M-Audio 88es - Akai APC 40, Focusrite Saffire Firewire

pid
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:51 am

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by pid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 pm

this has been out for quite a while now:

http://www.computermusicnotation.com/co ... page_id=34

one of the great things about maxforlive is that many feature requests with fewer humans behind them can now be realised anyway.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

neyko
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Score-Editor MISSING

Post by neyko » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Actually Finale Songwriter is 49 US dollars.
And it looks as though Finale Notepad for $10 might do the trick

http://www.finalemusic.com/NotePad/Feat ... fault.aspx

Feature : Import Format 1 MIDI files.
Live 8 Suite iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM & Macbook - 4gig RAM - Snow Leopard OS X - 2.4 Ghz - Apogee Duet - M-Audio Oxygen 49 - M-Audio 88es - Akai APC 40, Focusrite Saffire Firewire

Post Reply