support 'ACIDized' files

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
kbadelt

support 'ACIDized' files

Post by kbadelt » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:53 pm

There are many 'ACIDized' .wav loop libraries out there - wouldn't it be cool if live could support reading them?

So far, Live is pretty good in guessing the tempo of .wav files, i.e. how many beats they consist of. But sometimes (many times?) it has problems with that, and you have to manually adjust the tempo settings and save the (.asd) file. Time consuming at least.

ACIDized files come with tempo info ready right out of the box, through a proprietary tag within the .wav file. If Live could read this - like ACID does - it would open the Live loop library by many gigabytes...

and what a 'competitive upgrade' that would be... ;-)

Hexadecimal

Re: support 'ACIDized' files

Post by Hexadecimal » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:22 pm

It'd be nice just to avoid the minor but repeated hassle of redefining the loop's tempo since most loop libraries these days have been Acidized. Live seems to estimate terribly the tempo of 10 and 12 measure loops. Gets 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 easily, of course, but especially because of the lack of one-shots, I have a good amount of "loops" that aren't 1/2/4/8/16 measures.

Hexadecimal

page

Post by page » Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:51 pm

Yes, I have many acidized sample CDs that I would much rather use with Live than Acid. Is there support for these on the horizon?

TooManyToys

and Apple Loops, too

Post by TooManyToys » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:03 pm

I don't currently own any Apple Loops, but the search metadata characteristics look very promising and far superior to searching through a hierarchical file system.

Having said that, I have about 15,000 ACID loops, and Live 3.0 gets the tempo right about 85% of the time, so direct support of ACIDized wave files would really hit the spot.

Apple Loops, definitely ... ACID is dead already

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:41 pm

Here is Apple's free tool to make "Apple Loops" out of an AIFF or WAV file. This is basically like ReCycle, but the files it makes are still your original AIFF, just with meta data written in as well as optional timing, so that the loop can be called up by genre or instrument or mood or author or comments. I think it imports ACID timing info. Garage Band and Soundtrack import ACIDized loops and keep the timing.

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Developme ... .1.dmg.bin

(Mac OS X 10.2.8 required)

Maybe the timing info isn't important to Live, but it is easier to find loops in Soundtrack because you can sort through by information like iTunes. Maybe Live can do something cool with the extra info tagged onto Apple Loops since otherwise they are just plain AIFF ... it's not really another format so much as AIFF+.