Add locators based on time, not tempo

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
adktz

Post by adktz » Sun May 23, 2010 7:44 am

Hey everyone,
So far this is the biggest problem I have with my favourite DAW. It makes writing for film and video (which you guys added support for!) very difficult. If you guys added this, it would become an incredibly powerful tool for film composers, as the visual nature of the tempo grid in arrangement view and the lines of the locators could make it much easier to 'hit' cues. In my head it seems like a fairly easy feature to implement, does anyone else think this would be a great feature? Cheers

jlvmusic

Re: Add locators based on time, not tempo

Post by jlvmusic » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 am

YES PLEASE ADD THIS. I want to do all of my film work in Live but can't!

rmcbainnj

Post by rmcbainnj » Thu May 27, 2010 3:19 am

+1...I do most of my scoring work in Logic, but have spent about two years working with Live. I'd do it all in Live if you could lock indicators to time not tempo!
MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core 6GB RAM OSX10.5.7 | Live 8 | Edirol FireWire FA-101 | EWQSL Platinum Play | Axiom 61 |

adktz

Post by adktz » Thu May 27, 2010 11:49 am

Glad there are some other people that feel the same way!

I have a very cheap workaround done all in arrangement view. I create a short strong sound (eg. piano, drum hit) and align it with the points I want to 'hit' on my video clip. Then I render out the audio from just the midi clip (from the beginning and end of the video) and re-import it with warping disabled. Then you can use the waveform to indicate hit points for the scoring which won't move when adjusting the tempo - this works great when you are finding a tempo, because you can line up grid lines to transients in the waveform. As I said, pretty cheap and nowhere near as effective as proper time-based locators!

remute99

Post by remute99 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:51 am

+1, Live's potential for film/video work is enormous but crippled by the lack of simple things like lockable markers.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6