Live Performance Midi sink

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Analytik J

Live Performance Midi sink

Post by Analytik J » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:26 am

My name is Analytik J - aka Josh Passman and just last night I performed at a large party called "Reqium for a Beat" featuring Robert Oleysyck in Colorado Springs,CO. I was invited because I perform with computers instead of tables. Virtually live PA. I use Live 4 as my host sequencer and my main software to create and arrange my completely original Tek House Music. Within Live 4 I have instances of Reaktor and other Native Instruments tools like kontakt. A glearing issue arrose during my set last night.

I like to lock my two machines together via midi clock so they are beat matched at all times. The problem arrises when I tried to load my next set from the file browser. At that point the midi signal is lost and to regain it you must turn off both machines and press start again. This is a huge problem for the cutting edge live performers such as myself. How can this be corrected?

In a nut shell - I want to be able to sink two computers with midi and be able to load Abletton Live files from my harddrive without losing the midi sink and without having to stop to get them back in sink. If there already exisits any trick please write to me about it and if not how long will it take to get some additional code written to handle this problem? I have more gigs upcoming and sincerely need this functionality.

PS The best Software ever is Ableton

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:08 am

and here am I looking forward to a midi sink.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:13 am

ditto...the disappointment is too great for my meager soul.

k

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:51 am

While we're on the subject I'd just like to put in a little plug for a multi tap. :roll:

8O :oops:

already getting me coat.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:04 pm

can't this be solved with some external midi synching gear?
a device that sends a midi clock should do the trick.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:02 am

Could work Pedroooooo, just get some dodgy old midi drum machine on the cheap and slave all to that. Anyone got the means to try? I can prob. get something like this together over the weekend, will report back if I do.

Analytik J

Experiment

Post by Analytik J » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:07 pm

Great thinking. If you do try it out, Please try to open several different live files while the sink is active. I am worried that the problem will still exisit. Regardless of where the master clock is , to load a different ableton file requires that the adio and midi stop and then restart. At least I think so! This is what the heart of this matter is. Atleast in my mind. Thanks