More DJ friendly functions

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
urban_sky

More DJ friendly functions

Post by urban_sky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 pm

As more and more DJ's switch to ableton as the DJ performance tool, I'd love to have some more DJ tools.
Example:

- Dedicated DJ EQ
- DJ style looper on the fly like in the DVS systems
- Beatmatching better possibility (I know that we can warp everything but when you launch clips with 0 bar it is not always matched perfectly) with the posiibility to map it to the wheel midi cotrolers would be perfect.

any more ideas?

Tarekith

Re: More DJ friendly functions

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 pm

- The ability to see more than one waveform at once.

- Bring back the clip time-line!

- Multiple start and loop point in a clip, midi-mappable.

- Ability to store album artwork in the asd file, shown in the clip help pane.

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Personally, I'd like to see more musician friendly features, like a beer-getter, and a rent-payer. Maybe even a chick-finder.

Sorry, it's like 101 degrees Fahrenheit and I am getting delirious . . .

Akzel

Post by Akzel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Native mp3 support!

I'd LOVE to mix mp3s without converting them to wav first!

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:10 am

urban_sky wrote:As more and more DJ's switch to ableton as the DJ performance tool, I'd love to have some more DJ tools.
Example:

- Dedicated DJ EQ
- Beatmatching better possibility (I know that we can warp everything but when you launch clips with 0 bar it is not always matched perfectly) with the posiibility to map it to the wheel midi cotrolers would be perfect.

any more ideas?
Maxforlive has the answers.

sebrov

Post by sebrov » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 am

Tarekith wrote:- The ability to see more than one waveform at once.

+1

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 am

Mudo wrote:...
urban_sky wrote:As more and more DJ's switch to ableton as the DJ performance tool, I'd love to have some more DJ tools.
Example:

- Dedicated DJ EQ

any more ideas?
Maxforlive has the answers.

Maxforlive isn't free :-(

+1 Multiple cue and loop points, midi mappable ;-)

There's a guy with a good thread on a workaround though, I'm trying to set my DJ set up his way... Basically:

*Make a new track for EACH song.
*Put multiple copies of the song into the clip slots of the track.
*Setup different cue/loop points for the song in each clip slot.
*Now you have a number of different cue/loop points all in a single track, DRAG this track into the browser (into a directory you want to store your cue/loop stuff in)
*Type the name of the song (I usually put key-BPM-songname-artistname-genres.ALS as the filename
*Repeat this for each song you want to set cue/loop points in, you will end up with a folder(s) full of .ALS files. If you double click these they will open up so DON'T do that, 'open' them in the browser and just select the track (not the WHOLE .als file) and drag it into your current set.

Viola! you have multiple loops/cues setup and just need to launch them (done easy with launchpad/APC etc)

There's more to the story (such as doing this creates extra copies of all your MP3's if you don't set it up right) but it's all configurable to work well...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=101410 for more info ;-)

Cheers!
Bainesy
Using Ableton for Composing/Remixing/DJing
Macbook 2.26GHz/8GB/500GB/7200rpm/OSX Lion
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad
Reloop 10tion - Behringer Truth 1030A's - Sennheiser HD280's
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 - Automap Pro 3.7
http://soundcloud.com/jbainesy

Gimmick Mask

Post by Gimmick Mask » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 pm

First post on this forum as I wanted to emphasize that some of these features would be really helpful, easy to implement, and would gain live a lot of users or at least stop users from switching.
urban_sky wrote: - Dedicated DJ EQ
There are plenty of high quality, transparent DJ eq's if you look around on say the ALDJ forum, both three- and four-band. It would be nice if EQ3 were transparent, but I don't think it should be a top priority.

The suggestion for CDJ style looping is definitely necessary though. You can try to partially emulate it with Max or with some racks (Tarekith's super luper, for instance), but it's sorely missing.
Tarekith wrote:- The ability to see more than one waveform at once.

- Bring back the clip time-line!

- Ability to store album artwork in the asd file, shown in the clip help pane.
Multiple waveforms is really sorely missing, and I have read people posting that they stopped using Ableton and switched over to Traktor for precisely that reason.

Multiple loops would be great as well, and on a related note, multiple start points. Of course, you can emulate this somewhat by splitting one track into a bunch of clips, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Also, not suggested so far is better auto-warping. It would be nice if there were an option like "warp tracks over X:XX as straight" that could properly warp full constant-bpm tracks say >90% of the time (Traktor achieves proper auto-warping well above 90% of the time). Currently Ableton virtually never warps full tracks correctly.
Mixes, originals, bootlegs: http://gimmickmask.com
Macbook Pro i7 @ 2.66 / Ableton Live 8 / APC 40 / NI X1 / MPK25 / MOTU Ultralite

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:49 pm

+1 on the wave forms thing, seems pretty simple idea, how they missed it is beyond me.

Also I would like to see a lock button so you don't accidently press the global stop or other things you shouldn't