alias clips

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
poly915

alias clips

Post by poly915 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:25 am

Sorry if this has been suggested in the past (likely Logic users) but I couldn't find it in the forum, and I can't hold my tongue any longer.
THE PROBLEM: You start with one clip (audio loop OR midi). You put it in an arrangement. You copy it somewhere else in the arrangement. You do it again and again. Now it's all over the place. You then decide to change something about the clip (adjustment of some of the warp markers in an audio loop, for example). Now you must search for every instance of this clip and replace it with the new adjusted version.
THE SOLUTION: Whenever you copy a clip (or record it into the arrangement) you have the option of the result being an 'alias' (a ghost clip that ALWAYS mimics the original clip). This way you can make all the adjustments you like to the master clip, and all of the instances of the alias refer to the new edits. You would also have the option of turning an alias into a real clip to do unique edits to just that instance of the clip.
This system would allow you to have all your master clips in cells of the session view and you could quickly find and adjust single clips that would alter all the aliases in your arrangement.

hope
!P!

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:29 pm

with audio isn't this functionality already covered by the external sample editor button?

when you copy a clip to another track and make changes to it within live it is using an alias copy of it.

if you edit the original wav using an audio editor I think the changes would be reflected anywhere that you had copied/duplicated that clip.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

poly915

Post by poly915 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:41 pm

ejectorset wrote:with audio isn't this functionality already covered by the external sample editor button?

when you copy a clip to another track and make changes to it within live it is using an alias copy of it.

if you edit the original wav using an audio editor I think the changes would be reflected anywhere that you had copied/duplicated that clip.
This might be true, but your suggestion doesn't cover the hundreds of other ways you might want to edit a clip without altering the audio. You may want to just adjust a warp marker or change the volume slider or change notes in a MIDI clip or... etc[/i]

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:12 pm

just copy it, and change the clip.

tylast

Post by tylast » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:07 pm

poly915 ~ I know exactly what you mean. I'd like that option...perhaps a checkbox on each clip. So, I could have 9 instances that mimic each other...& uncheck the 10th to do something special. Quite a few times, I've needed to make change, but then have to copy & overwrite all the other instances. When you do that...it can become difficult to keep track of which ones have been changed unless you rename them too.

Perhaps Alias clips could have an identifying mark to the top right (a triangle) of the clip that lets me know that it is identical to others with the same name or something. Unchecked clips would act as they do now. Perhaps checked or unchecked could be a user option?

conny

Post by conny » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:11 pm

The more special properties we put into things, the more confusion it might deliver. Live is quite straigh forward in handlig clips, I think. But I like the idea of clips treated as members of a single instance.
It might be an option
a) in the sample box (inherited?)
b) on Pc an alt + copy or whatever
c ) a mark of the clip that would be directly
- toggling it to an individual clip
- opening dialog (or a simple click on parent...) as to what clip is my parent

But: What happens when the parent clip is changed to a child of a inheriting group... oh, strange relations everywhere...

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

ton

Post by ton » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:38 am

bensuthers wrote:just copy it, and change the clip.
I suppose you didn't understand the problem. At least for midi.

ton

Post by ton » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:42 am

conny wrote:But: What happens when the parent clip is changed to a child of a inheriting group... oh, strange relations everywhere...
Why strange? Ghost copies exist in Cubase and why shouldn't they exist in Ableton Live also? For me ghost copies for midi would be fine. Ghost copies for audio is not an issue to me. I want to have the flexibility to change anything at any time what's possible with midi but not audio.

conny

Post by conny » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:50 am

Yea, no problem. Breaking links between ghost and "original" is OK but it should be visible or something, to help you know what is happening. A broken ghost will be a new original, thats fine with me.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

ton

Post by ton » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:16 am

In cubase the ghost copied midi clips text written in italics. Something similar could be used fontwise also in Ableton Live and/or maybe ghost copied clips may get some diagonal lines on them seen in the arrangement view or seen both in scene view and arrangement view.

borg

Post by borg » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:42 pm

it would improve workflow drastically when editing jams and whatever...
nother vote.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

mortenperriard

Post by mortenperriard » Thu May 24, 2007 5:56 pm

This feature is a must... Here is my vote.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 pm

+1

autogen

Post by autogen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:46 pm

+1

This has become one of my biggest frustrations when programming in Live. It even stops me from moving forwards in a composition sometimes. I really don't see why this hasn't been implemented already. Especially for MIDI clips.
MBP 2.4GHz / OSX 10.5.8 / RME FF400 / Live 8.1.1 / Logic 8 / Pro Tools 8

alsostarring

Post by alsostarring » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 am

+1
I used ghost parts in cubase, and now I miss them.
Useful, clean and cheap ... and i supose it's an easy development improvement.

it will be a good idea focalize "father" clips when selecting "son" ones
Hola!