suggestion: ability to order a manual would be nice

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
smutek

suggestion: ability to order a manual would be nice

Post by smutek » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi, I purchased the boxed version of Live 1 and have followed the upgrade path to live 4.03 I opted for the download versions to save money but find myself really wishing I had a printed maual other than the one for version 1.

It would be cool if registered users could order a copy of the manual. I got a quote from my printer for printing the pdf version and it was around 46 dollars US. Too much money for me at the moment.

Thus my request.

:D

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:58 pm

I think i remember somebody saying that you can already do this, it's definately worth emailing ableton and asking.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:11 am

And I shall, thanks for the response Martyn!

Orbit-50

Where there's a will there's a way!

Post by Orbit-50 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:50 am

First of all $46.00 for a printed PDF manual is rediculous! I'm sure you have a printer of your own. If you don't, go get one! They are extremely affordable, and a necessity if you own a computer. Not every music software today comes with printed manuals. (A must for bathroom research, or late night reading). Here are the ingredients: 1 Bubble or Ink Jet Printer, Ink Refills, HP 24 lb - 110 brightness Inkjet paper (also works with Bubble Jet) and 1 half of a brain. Make sure that before you print, you select duplex printing in your preferences, page setup, menu. This will utilize both sides of your paper. Print the PDF file. Notice how nice the 24 lb 110 brightness paper looks. It's also much more durable. Be very careful not to mix everything up. Then bring your pile to your nearest Staples Superstore and have them "Comb Bind" it. It's very inexpensive and a lifesaver for those who "roll their own." - Good Luck and Happy Reading!!

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:11 am

he he... thanks for the response. I do have a printer but at 276 pages I do not think I will be printing it at home. The cost of two new ink cartridges is about the same as what my printer would charge me to print and bind it for me.

I do remember printing the reason manual about two years back and..... nah I think I will email Ableton or send the job out. Too bad I don't work in a restaurant any more, when reason 2.0 came out I had a guy print it up for me in exchange for a cheeseburger.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:32 am

297 pages to be exact. Divided by 2 = 149 pages to print. Remember, you are printing on both sides, which halves the amount of paper you will be using. Also making the manual thinner. Hell, I printed the Cubase SX manual which is 836 pages long and still had enough ink to do 2 more descent size manuals!! By the way, did your printer come standard with a 457 c.i.d. Chevrolet Bigblock Engine or was that an option at that time?

smutek

Re: Where there's a will there's a way!

Post by smutek » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:32 am

Orbit-50 wrote:By the way, did your printer come standard with a 457 c.i.d. Chevrolet Bigblock Engine or was that an option at that time?
Mine came stock with an AMG-built twin-turbocharged 6.0L 36-valve V-12 engine. Oh that's right I am thinking of my car. Oh thats right I don't drive....

gahhhhh!!!! Ok, I think you have a point here and I did just re-up on my ink about a week ago. I reckon I will print it.

I've never printed double sided with my epson (stylus photo 820) and am wondering how it works, do you run half the job then just reinsert the stack to print the other side?

tylast

Post by tylast » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:48 pm

And stickers like the ones that came with my 2.0 manual! :wink:
Last edited by tylast on Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:00 am

Yes. Odd pages are printed first. Then turned over and the even pages are printed. You will have to spend a few moments looking into your printers help file to find out how to do double sided printing. This will take the guess work out of it. If you screw up the pages will be out of whack and you will find yourself reprinting it again! The Ableton manual is especially tricky, because it is like the Reason 2.5 manual. It's one of those "Landscape Style" manuals as opposed to the normal "Portrait Style" manuals that we are used to. You have to make sure that when you turn the pages over to print the other side, that the pages are correctly aligned and that no mistakes are made. Just visualize how you will be flipping the pages after they are bound. If there should be a mistake you have to catch it early so you can stop printing , and manually align the pages. You can reprint the f---ed up pages later on. Good Luck

gfea

Post by gfea » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:23 pm

For $10 USD and I'll print it on a laserjet printer and mail it out, postage included. - gfea

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:07 pm

That's the spirit!!!