Envelope Clips - Multiple uses!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Jon-J

Envelope Clips - Multiple uses!!

Post by Jon-J » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Just a suggestion...but it would be fantastic to have Envelope Clips where you could draw graphs/curves/line data that could be used for the purpose of automating any parameter on any instrument that the clip is associated to.

The Envelope Clip would be treated as a seperate entity (or in OOP terms a seperate object) but the clip itself could be associated with one or multiple parameters on an instrument or associated with multiple parameters on multiple instruments.

The Envelope clip could be treated like a data channel within the DAW that allows for multiple lanes of automation of different lengths and patterns to be drawn each assigned independently to one or more parameters of one or more instruments.

Having the Envelope clip as a seperate channel would have two main benfits, firstly the data would be independent of the instrument, so deleting the instruments associated would not delete the automation data.

Second the automation itself would be centralized...a user would know exactly where to look for automation and not have to waste time clicking on various channels and pages of an instrument itself to find the red marker indicating what instrument and parameter has automation.

I believe this would help improve work flow and speed up the process of getting ideas out and laid down - which as we all know is the reason we use such applications.

If anyone has further ideas on improving this idea then go for it - I know my idea is not new and has been done in other DAW's but if everyone speaks up then it helps to add weight to the points and ideas mentioned here.

Thanks for listening :D