What will it take for Ableton to put easy comping in Live

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
EX

What will it take for Ableton to put easy comping in Live

Post by EX » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:15 pm

+ Infinity.

Well I'm on this forum again so might as well say it again as thousands have said it before for it to be ignored again :P

kanuck

Re: What will it take for Ableton to put easy comping in Live

Post by kanuck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 am

I have no experience with better DAWs so I'm not having any complaints about it. haha.

EX

Post by EX » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Fair enough, ignorance is bliss sometimes, but if you used Logicubase or any functionality that is designed to make the process easy, you'd find the Live workaround of doing it uber-tedious. Working out where the marker should be when you've got an inexact length is such a faff as is having to manually mute every little bit of each duplicate... gees. :cry:

It would be such an important workflow enhancement. And this could be a great opportunity to find a way to do it that streamlines/betters Cubase or Logic's implementation!

Has got to be the #1 thing to add to Ableton, and should get done before inevitably yet more bells and whistles gimmickery bloating. If it is finally on the horizon, I and I'm sure many others wish it would be added before having to wait all the presumed aeons for a whole new version 9. So if someone feels my pain on this #canigetawitness and c'mon Ableton, comping... in 8.3... please guys, after all my free beta testing for you lot, just do it for me... :x

Yeah, right! :arrow: :|

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:35 pm

EX wrote:Fair enough, ignorance is bliss sometimes, but if you used Logicubase or any functionality that is designed to make the process easy, you'd find the Live workaround of doing it uber-tedious. Working out where the marker should be when you've got an inexact length is such a faff as is having to manually mute every little bit of each duplicate... gees. :cry:

It would be such an important workflow enhancement. And this could be a great opportunity to find a way to do it that streamlines/betters Cubase or Logic's implementation!

Has got to be the #1 thing to add to Ableton, and should get done before inevitably yet more bells and whistles gimmickery bloating. If it is finally on the horizon, I and I'm sure many others wish it would be added before having to wait all the presumed aeons for a whole new version 9. So if someone feels my pain on this #canigetawitness and c'mon Ableton, comping... in 8.3... please guys, after all my free beta testing for you lot, just do it for me... :x

haha, yeah I agree though. I've taken a peek at what logic does for comping and it's so much more effective. I simply just do piece by piece and just delete the take if I didn't like it and keep it if I did.

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:27 pm

EX wrote:Fair enough, ignorance is bliss sometimes, but if you used Logicubase or any functionality that is designed to make the process easy, you'd find the Live workaround of doing it uber-tedious. Working out where the marker should be when you've got an inexact length is such a faff as is having to manually mute every little bit of each duplicate... gees. :cry:
True !!!

+ 2
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

Sir Maybe

Post by Sir Maybe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:03 pm

+3.
(you can find me as "Doc" at the German Line 6 forum)
CU there!

rchrdnsh

Post by rchrdnsh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:09 pm

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

RN

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm

+1 million.

One of the many small reasons I have to use Logic for lots of stuff. I'd love to make Live my only DAW, but recording audio (especially vocals) without comping is a PITA.

EX

Post by EX » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm

I actually can very rarely be arsed (bothered) with switching back over to Logic or Cubase for compositing... even though I've got all... cause then I gotta choose either the annoyingness of stuff like the Logic audio engine just cutting out whenever you get busy (rather than just taking the strain like Live's does) or Cubase where I can't remember where all the nested menus upon menus are to overdub this or stack that... sigh... so I'll probably miserably endure the workaround, but why don't Ableton finally implement this instead of yet another effect gimmick... then it could almost be a proper, reasonably unbloated DAW! Its so close to being such.

But they just don't seem to listen to me or the thousands of others saying the same thing over and over on here....

...sucks...

...y'know, I mean if I was proposing a beat-reverser for DJs that runs on algebra they'd do that tomorrow probably, but not crazy comping!! :roll:

William

Post by William » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:59 am

+ 10000

This is the number one feature I'm hoping for. Automation curves and multi monitor support are tied for second.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

jesus god sandal

Post by jesus god sandal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:06 am

I'm hoping for this
Colors for the Ears
musician name: en3
http://soundcloud.com/ianpluplu - random releases and WIPs
http://entheogensno.bandcamp.com - full length high quality downloads and listening

jkob

Post by jkob » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:00 am

YES!! PLEASE!! DO IT!! i need comping too.. for now it is so ineffective if you record a few takes and take the best one.. Logic has an comping, Reason also (i think). I work since version 4 with live, but this is a feature i really miss.. +11111

Trude

Post by Trude » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Ditto ditto ditto!

I'm on v6, and I'm not upgrading again until they include this.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:16 pm

I initially hoped that the Ableton Looper would be built using a Comping technology, IE - each loop is laid to a wave and the looper merely 'comps' them all together.
Obviously you could have also the same facility for comping. Record it all to one wave - but see all the overlaid loops and manually select chunks out of them to become audible.

It would have killed two birds with one stone. Sadly they didn't go for this idea.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Dave is out sick today, but he PM'd and said to say that it will take a 100 million Euros or your first born.

Logic's is actually using a unique algorithm that allows the OS to consume souls and convert part of them into comping. The remainder are uploaded during "OS updates" :wink: and then Steve puts them in his piña coladas. He sometimes sprinkles them on his popcorn or rubs them on his chest too. Afterward he goes into a trance. Its was during one of these "spirit walks" that The Great Fiji revealed the iPod to him...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.