Evolution of the Ableton Live UI...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
rchrdnsh

Evolution of the Ableton Live UI...

Post by rchrdnsh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:18 am

I know this has been touched upon before, but I wanted to share something new with everyone. Ohm Studio is a new DAW app with some strong similarities to Ableton Live in it's design concept, but...

It goes further by the enhancing the GUI with touches of 3D and a more utopian and work friendly (IMHO) color scheme. Here is an example:

I would love to see Ableton's UI evolve to encompass some more attractive design concepts, similar to what Ohm Studio is doing. Preferably have something very similar to this, with different color themes going on, for different uses, much like DP7.2 is doing:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... hemes.html

These kinds of graphical enhancements would be great, as I use Ableton Live many hours out of every day.

Not to mention some of the ideas that Ohm Studio is proposing as far as DAW design and Cloud Collaboration are pretty damn cool as well:

http://www.ohmstudio.com/

I want Ableton to evolve Lives look! Nuff said...

RN

jace_(nz)

Re: Evolution of the Ableton Live UI...

Post by jace_(nz) » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 am

As far as Production side goes, it would be nice to be able to see data in the clips instead of the tedious job of expanding and collapsing and then clogging up screen space, my main gripe and why over the years i have started to vere away from live for Production, And as you mention a better looking Gui appearance would be nice and asethetically pleaseing, i just hate staring at live for hours on end i end up feeling cheap and dirty lol. Not to take away the advantages of being a live user, and no doubt as someone may mention the obvious_ its not the looks but how good you are as a artist/producer and the end result, but hay! it would make us feel like a million dollars and stop us getting distracted from the Pretty lights of many an other Daw, their is some method to the madness, we are all only human.

I doubt this topic was worth adding to, but we can but dream of that fully satisfied utopia.

rchrdnsh

Post by rchrdnsh » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:13 am

You know, for me it's really more of a why not. I'm very much into having an aesthetically pleasing workspace to get my juices flowing and the screen I'm staring at works right into that equation for me. Having a nice workplace makes me more comfortable while working for long hours and that's more to the point for me: facilitating productivity through comfort and beauty. Having a nice workspace doesn't make a person more talented, but for me it allows me to focus on making good music in comfort. Thank's all.

RN

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:22 am

I thought the OhmStudio GUI took the old Ableton interface and updated it quite well.
I don't particularly care for the graphic style of their routing window, I think that could be a bit less intense. Other than that - they did a good job I think.

Live's interface mainly needs updating to become simple again.
It currently looks simple, but it doesn't connect well with all the new functionality. Buttons are crammed into where there were previously left spaces. That's not really a UX strategy, more of a coping mechanism

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:13 am

Looks good, although I like the general look of Live.
Hopefully they never implement this Modular Connection Window, this looks nice, but when you think of working with it, you may find it too complex on the GUI, as I do.

Yes, Ableton should update and tidy up the GUI (also some kind of Modular overview of Racks would be great but different than shown above). But I think they should keep the simple look and not start to implement some fotorealistic 3D stuff with shadows and all this eye candy that distracts the attention.
This wont happen anyway I think...
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!