When is Live 9 coming?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Yeh

When is Live 9 coming?

Post by Yeh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

When is Live 9 coming? Any one any idea? I tried to search the topics on this forum, but couldn't find anything about the possible release date.
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

Angstrom

Re: When is Live 9 coming?

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm

the only people who know are Ableton employees and they aren't gonna tell you.
Most of us guess at releases around the major music tech festivals. EG: Anaheim NAMM is January 13 2011, Frankfurt Music Messe is April 6 2011.

Although my guess is that this is way too early for a Live9. My guess is sometime late in 2011. This guess is based on nothing much at all.

EX

Post by EX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Angstrom wrote:My guess is sometime late in 2011. This guess is based on nothing much at all.
Indeed.

Someone calculated that Live 9 is due around now based on the pattern of all previous releases.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:31 pm

yes, but I think the pattern of previous releases gave them (and us) a few problems, so they decided to change things a bit. In fact the gap between 7 to 8 was much longer than that between 6 and 7.

For earlier versions it was something like a 12 month turnaround between major versions, which might be fine in some circumstances, but I think the company grew so fast that the actual infrastructure wasn't capable of supporting the developers. Well, I'm guessing based on how certain features were implemented, and the various recent announcements from the company.

pheilus

Post by pheilus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm

ableton 9 is not out yet because robert and gerhard are still trying to figure out whats trendy enough to put into to ableton to make it more slow.
they are still tryin to figure out what other shit to copy into live 9. they are trying to figure out how to integrate facebook and twitter into ableton so you can facebook while doing live stuff.

you know research and development takes a long time when gathering data on how to copy features. you bullshit stuff to be added that is flatout useless to use

EX

Post by EX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Angstrom wrote:In fact the gap between 7 to 8 was much longer than that between 6 and 7.
According to the graph, the gap between 7 and 8 was 3 months longer than 6 and 7, which I would not regard as 'much'. Is it wrong?

8 took 17 months to arrive. It has now been over 18 months since 8. Says the line chart.
Angstrom wrote:For earlier versions it was something like a 12 month turnaround between major versions, which might be fine in some circumstances, but I think the company grew so fast that the actual infrastructure wasn't capable of supporting the developers.
Yes but its been much longer than 12 months now...?

EX

Post by EX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm not in favour of Live being bloated with more bells-and-whistles obesity at all, just intelligent, useful and fundamental DAW functionality like comping and fixing whatever else is not good enough in 8, not at the expense of stability or efficiency or flow at all. If that's not asking the Earth!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

with every new bell and whistle my sighs get louder and longer.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm

EX wrote:
Angstrom wrote:In fact the gap between 7 to 8 was much longer than that between 6 and 7.
According to the graph, the gap between 7 and 8 was 3 months longer than 6 and 7, which I would not regard as 'much'. Is it wrong?

8 took 17 months to arrive. It has now been over 18 months since 8. Says the line chart.
Angstrom wrote:For earlier versions it was something like a 12 month turnaround between major versions, which might be fine in some circumstances, but I think the company grew so fast that the actual infrastructure wasn't capable of supporting the developers.
Yes but its been much longer than 12 months now...?
in all previous releases they did not make a big announcement about halting all further development until issues were fixed. L8 had some major issues that were a result of issues within their working processes. These have been, and are being addressed as I understand it.

That would make this graph no indicator of anything as it does not factor in a 6 month hiatus (or however long the restructuring took)

Yeh

Post by Yeh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanx for your replies.

I think the scheme of EX is brilliant. I was expecting a new release beginning 2011.
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

EX

Post by EX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:59 pm

I can take no credit for the graph, not my work but the work of a Der_Makrophag, see this thread:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p1219602

Not in favour of simply adding more and more sub-programs onto Live effectively, and I imagine all those Live users that like their third party plug-ins are particularly against such bloating. Live 9 should be all about better flow and common sense improvements.

EX

Post by EX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Angstrom wrote:in all previous releases they did not make a big announcement about halting all further development until issues were fixed. L8 had some major issues that were a result of issues within their working processes. These have been, and are being addressed as I understand it.

That would make this graph no indicator of anything as it does not factor in a 6 month hiatus (or however long the restructuring took)
OK, I see what you mean now.

Adding 6 months would take things to about April I guess.

Or if they stopped with the bloating and just added more sensible workflow things maybe the development phase need not take so long and it could still be out by Christmas :wink:

A wishful wink there.

EX

Post by EX » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:13 am

To me the recent signs seem to be indicating a Jan 2011 NAMM premiere of Able 9... but maybe thats just me...

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:25 am

Cool, EX cited my Excel worksheet :-D

So I decided to comment a little on this. It was created using the official release dates found here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/press/releases/home

With this few data points, a linaer regeression like I did is a crime. Also, of course we cannot assume that each Version needs x more months than the previous because this is a complex process and might have no correlation at all.
Also if there is any correlation it might be not linear, so that we even have to wait longer (according to my calculation, it is already overdue).

So do not take this too seriously, this was just for fun!
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:39 pm

take the time between 8.0 and 8.2 and multiply by 5 ?????
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)