anyone remembers the share feature?

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Post Reply
789lwnm2
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 am

anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by 789lwnm2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 pm

when live 8 came out, the sharing feature was announced as a major part of the update.
I don´t know the whole story but the beta was killed because of some difficulties.
are there plans to restart this feature? I could still use it, you know....

a sticky in the forum somewhere would be the least, if there´s no official statement on the main page.

Der_Makrophag
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:06 am

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by Der_Makrophag » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 am

Yes, I remember.
Not a long time ago I wanted to share a set with a friend, what I never did before and I said: Ey, thats easy, Ableton has a special funktion for this. After searching in menues and manual without any succes I searched the net and found:
http://www.ableton.com/de/share
OK, so I was right, there WAS something like this. But doing a forum search proved my fear to be right: The project was aborted and never talked about again.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=132991
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

madlab
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 6:38 am
Location: France

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by madlab » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:49 am

Ohm Force is about to launch a sequencer specially designed for that... and much more
Aboard from V. 1
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.12
MBP 2.3 ghz I7 16 Go SSD + HD 10.8.5 iPad2+Mira+Lemur/PadKontrol/BCR2000/ Livid Code+DS1
RME FF UC Live 9.7.7 MFL Max 8 + Max 7.3.5
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

789lwnm2
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 am

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by 789lwnm2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:23 pm

I just looked at the linked pages and it´s a shame ableton decided to abandon this feature.
http://www.ohmstudio.com/ -> they made a nice video, too. let´s see if they can work this out : )

my prediction: 2 years from now every DAW will have a sharing/collaboration over the net feature implemented and those that will not will be considered outdated simply because of this fact.

I don´t think this applies only to music software, but everything else as well.
It´s already being used everywhere, as simple as a check out/check in system on the internal servers of companies and goes to cloud computing (e.g. google docs), where your files are on a server and you edit in your browser.

salanimi
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:21 am

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by salanimi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:31 am

I'd like to have some compensation in money. This was one of the reasons I bought Live 8.

8O
Posts: 5502
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am
Location: Berlin

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by 8O » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 am

Here's the most official statement that I remember:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

The best solution right now for doing what the initial preview of Share was capable of is Dropbox.

Pretty much the only limitations are lack of seamless integration with Live and the lack of support for management of third-party plugins via freezing.

As for the future plans on our side, there's nothing I can really say for now besides "we're still working on it."

But I strongly recommend looking into Dropbox as a solution for collaboration. It's dead simple and very robust.

Best,
...from http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 39&start=0
Image

champamoore
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: new york, new york
Contact:

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by champamoore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:09 am

hardly seems like what we paid for. drop box has a 2gb limit at the free level. will ableton cover the upgrade cost for us? ;)
if you can't share it, it's not yours.
"i don't know if i'm cool or not, but i'm for real." john lee hooker

live 8 suite
XP32 pro/core2duo T6500/4GB/
ni maschine mk1(1.8.2)/edirol pcr-1

789lwnm2
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 am

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by 789lwnm2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 pm

it´s like when you move your company to a bigger office building - the landlord says that there will be a much better wifi infrastructure.
then the wifi doesn´t work and the landlord says - "hey no problem, just use the free wifi from the other company downstairs. you can´t access certain sites because the company blocks them but that´s the best solution really. we will get the new wireless routers but I really don´t know when."
then you say - sure, but I won´t pay the rent till you sort it out.

of course you have paid the rent already in advance.

kingrad
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:11 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by kingrad » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 am

This is the main reason I bought Live 8 and the most exciting feature announced

mr.ergonomics
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 am

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:59 pm

couldn't care less. there are far far more important things for me. this is just a comfort function, imho there are a lot of essential features which are way more important and I need every 10 minutes when I'm using live. and keep on mind that one can exchange projects at the moment with the "normal" hassle every other daw has already.

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 pm

one of the main reasons i bought 8 too.
dropbox offers space, i got plenty of space both at my server, dropbox and elsewhere. share was offering an integrated share service with a tracklog + a things like autofreezing instruments should you use something your other partner doesn't have.
at the least on paper/promotion video it did.

i am very disappointed that we still haven't got share, and i am very very disappointed that they had someone from the ableton hq to enter the forums and say "we're working on it" announcing that some day sometime in some version we will get the share feature (,the same feature we already paid for, which was a flag feature for 8).

things like this really makes me want to leave ableton and their halfassed promises to rot, but shit man, i paid way too much money on live to just stop using it due to poor management and a marketing personell who got their job description and training from a cornflakes box.

oh, and it also have racks + the session view. sofar it's a winner. sortof anyways.

EnjoyRC
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:02 am
Location: USA

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by EnjoyRC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:54 pm

+1 My primary reason for upgrading to v8. v7 was working just fine for me. I had a very strong need for collaborating remotely with others. Even advised that they bought v8 so we could all do this. Guess what? v8 doesn't do it. Boy did I feel foolish.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.14.x) Surface Pro (Win 10)
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk4 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 10, Reason 10, Studio One 4

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by friend_kami » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:couldn't care less. there are far far more important things for me. this is just a comfort function, imho there are a lot of essential features which are way more important and I need every 10 minutes when I'm using live. and keep on mind that one can exchange projects at the moment with the "normal" hassle every other daw has already.
the question isn't whether or not you need it, the question is whether or not we will get the feature we paid for.
big difference. it was announced as one of the major flagship features and many users had this as the biggest reason to upgrade/buy, me included.

we were simply ripped off.
but hey, we got a substandard amp suite. surely doesn't cover what we wanted but it covers something completely different!

champamoore
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: new york, new york
Contact:

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by champamoore » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:26 pm

friend_kami wrote:
mr.ergonomics wrote:couldn't care less. there are far far more important things for me. this is just a comfort function, imho there are a lot of essential features which are way more important and I need every 10 minutes when I'm using live. and keep on mind that one can exchange projects at the moment with the "normal" hassle every other daw has already.
the question isn't whether or not you need it, the question is whether or not we will get the feature we paid for.
big difference. it was announced as one of the major flagship features and many users had this as the biggest reason to upgrade/buy, me included.

we were simply ripped off.
but hey, we got a substandard amp suite. surely doesn't cover what we wanted but it covers something completely different!
i'd take max4live free as an even swap. :twisted:

even that, however, is still apples to oranges. they had promotional videos selling us all on how easy this would make sharing projects. and it was one of the flagship upgrades promised.

i love live8, and am very happy to have the upgrades that came with it. but i did not get what i paid for, and that is bad business. they should include the share feature on an update of live8! we shouldn't have to wait or pay for live9 to get this feature.
if you can't share it, it's not yours.
"i don't know if i'm cool or not, but i'm for real." john lee hooker

live 8 suite
XP32 pro/core2duo T6500/4GB/
ni maschine mk1(1.8.2)/edirol pcr-1

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: anyone remembers the share feature?

Post by friend_kami » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:50 pm

champamoore wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
mr.ergonomics wrote:couldn't care less. there are far far more important things for me. this is just a comfort function, imho there are a lot of essential features which are way more important and I need every 10 minutes when I'm using live. and keep on mind that one can exchange projects at the moment with the "normal" hassle every other daw has already.
the question isn't whether or not you need it, the question is whether or not we will get the feature we paid for.
big difference. it was announced as one of the major flagship features and many users had this as the biggest reason to upgrade/buy, me included.

we were simply ripped off.
but hey, we got a substandard amp suite. surely doesn't cover what we wanted but it covers something completely different!
i'd take max4live free as an even swap. :twisted:

even that, however, is still apples to oranges. they had promotional videos selling us all on how easy this would make sharing projects. and it was one of the flagship upgrades promised.

i love live8, and am very happy to have the upgrades that came with it. but i did not get what i paid for, and that is bad business. they should include the share feature on an update of live8! we shouldn't have to wait or pay for live9 to get this feature.
exactly my point. :)

Post Reply