64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
toustab

Re: 64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by toustab » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:26 am

When on earth is 64 bit support coming to Live? Every major DAW out there (not to mention some minor ones too) have it. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ABLETON? This is REALLY holding us back. We've invested $$$$ in hardware, VSTs, and libraries thinking that you would keep pace. How long do we have to wait for? Are you really trying to force us to switch to another DAW? Get your act together, PLEASE!

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:53 am

BTW, I misspoke about Reason 6. There will be BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Reason 6 when it is released in September; therefore no compatibility problems with Ableton Live.
I’m sure that that a 64 bit version of Live will be released soon. And like Reason, Live will have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. But as I said earlier in this post, I am likely continue to use Vienna Ensemble Pro as a bridge to my VST’s (64 and 32 bit plugs) even when Live goes 64 bit because of the versatility and speed enhancements Ensemble Pro provides over opening everything in Live natively.

sach160

Post by sach160 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 pm

MIDIpanic wrote:Agree that most, but not all, plugs will have 64 bit versions available. A potential work-around until everything goes 64 bit is something like jBridge (see for example http://andrewlandry.com/2010/12/the-move-to-64-bit/) which can allow 64 bit plugs to work with a 32 bit host (like Ableton) or use your old 32 bit plugs in a 64 bit host like Cubase. Not ideal and could be buggy, but a potential “bridge” until everyone goes 64 bit. Anyone with experience using jBridge?
I've been using it for a while of pots of vsts,- works well with tweaking on many vsts (buggy on others) so I'd suggest adding it to your monster plugins one at a time and testing. Now i'm running projects over 10Gb in ram without memory issues :) Plus it seems to use multiple cores better, so I don't run out of CPU.

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:27 am

And as I mentioned in subsequent posts, I purchased Vienna Ensemble Pro, which is a phenomenal bridge for any number of 32 bit and 64 bit VST’s; whether you are using a 32 bit or 64 bit host:
http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1685/1693/1342.htm
And because the VST’s are running in Vienna Ensemble Pro (not your host), the host runs more efficiently. Also, the host can be shut down and re-started without having to re-load all of your VST’s (especially those with large sample libraries that take a long time to load).

Undercover Soul

Post by Undercover Soul » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Just had a computer built for me just for music production. I opted for the 64 bit version of windows 7 so I could amke full use of the 16 gig of RAM and then I find out that was pointless, so have gone back to 32 bit.

Buggar!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only it was sorted sooner or are they just gonna wait till 9?????

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Undercover Soul wrote:Just had a computer built for me just for music production. I opted for the 64 bit version of windows 7 so I could amke full use of the 16 gig of RAM and then I find out that was pointless, so have gone back to 32 bit.
Buggar!!!!!!!!!!!!
If only it was sorted sooner or are they just gonna wait till 9?????
Don’t despair. Ableton 8.2.2 (32 bit) runs flawlessly in Win 7 64 bit and, as mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, there are at least two 64 bit VST to 32 bit host bridges that allows you to fully use your 16 GB of RAM now without waiting for Ableton to release a 64 bit version of Live.

BdD7ntsr

Post by BdD7ntsr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am

Yes !!!!!

+1000 for 64 Bits version.With the Lion OSX update they will update 32 bits to 64 bits !

Because this update is totally useless for Windows users, make an update very usefull for all ableton users !! :D

Make 64 Bits Support !! :cry:

fracturetrey

Post by fracturetrey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 pm

MIDIpanic wrote:Don’t despair. Ableton 8.2.2 (32 bit) runs flawlessly in Win 7 64 bit...
I'm having a problem importing some mp3's that are located on a network share into Ableton 8.2.2 on Windows 7 x64, and when I contacted support, they said,
Ableton Support wrote:Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the problem will probably be caused by your transition to Win 7x64.

All 32-bit versions of Vista are supported. 64-bit versions of Vista may work to an extent, but Ableton does not currently support these versions.

We can currently only recommend to run Live on a 32bit OS. If the problem will continue on a 32bit installation, please get back to us.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us at any time.
I find this disappointing as I can't find any information anywhere on their site stating they don't support x64 systems. Doesn't speak very well to the progress they're making on a 64-bit binary either, if they haven't begun to support or investigate bug reports from 64-bit environments. I see lots of threads on these forums and even in the 'Answers' section on their site where people are asking what sort of computer they should get or whether they should use a 32- or 64-bit OS, and the responses seem to indicate that it does not matter - however Ableton Support's response paints a different picture. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, coming up on a new computer these days with a 32-bit Windows license of any kind, especially XP, is difficult. Ableton has said that a 64-bit build of Live is coming - but they also want to force my hand at the present into buying and installing an OS that won't be able to take advantage of these updates, which is very disconcerting.
MIDIpanic wrote:...as mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, there are at least two 64 bit VST to 32 bit host bridges that allows you to fully use your 16 GB of RAM now without waiting for Ableton to release a 64 bit version of Live.
The more users keep making excuses like this for Ableton, the less need they have to deliver functionality many users are hurting for, such as native FLAC or MP3 support (as opposed to bouncing out WAVs into a temp folder using QuickTime or DirectShow), OSC support, native oscillator devices, or even absolute/direct automation in session clips as opposed to just modulation. Though I appreciate you offering any sort of solution to the 64-bit conundrum presented in this thread, I have no interest in shelling out another $300 for a third party plugin environment when the $500 DAW I've been supporting since v1.5 should handle this job.

+1 from me on 64-bit build and support please, Ableton. It's time to make this right for users who need, or at the very least, could make use of these changes, lest you fall behind the curve in the audio technology arms race.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm

i'd just like to go ahead and request the 128 bit version first. since that's what everyone will HAVE TO HAVE in order to make music next.

thanks,

~ H20
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 pm

fracturetrey wrote:I'm having a problem importing some mp3's that are located on a network share into Ableton 8.2.2 on Windows 7 x64.........

.....Though I appreciate you offering any sort of solution to the 64-bit conundrum presented in this thread, I have no interest in shelling out another $300 for a third party plugin environment when the $500 DAW I've been supporting since v1.5 should handle this job.
Not to get too far off topic, but what problems exactly are you having with network file access running Live under Win 7 64 bit? All of my media (except sample libraries) are on a network drive. I sync the network project directories with my laptop using a mapped network drive to make the files available everywhere I go; and so that everything is constantly backed-up. Beautiful system. Are you mapping your network drive and making sure that you have set the correct permissions to access the files over your network? This doesn’t sound like a 32 bit-64 bit issue.

As for the Vienna Ensemble Pro option, I’m sure that I will continue use it to connect my VST’s into Live even after Live goes 64 bit. Many advantages beyond just the VST bridge function. But I understand your point that you should not have to buy something else to get Live to use your 64 bit plugs.

Atardecer

Post by Atardecer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 am

H20nly wrote:i'd just like to go ahead and request the 128 bit version first. since that's what everyone will HAVE TO HAVE in order to make music next.

thanks,

~ H20
I see your point but it overlooks the fact that many of us have a real need to address more than 4GB RAM. I am finding it very difficult to finish my projects because I use plugins like Omnisphere, BFD2 and Kontakt. 64bit support has now been implemented in the majority of other DAWS - Ableton is lagging way behind their competitors. I'm having a new 64-bit system built at the moment. If Ableton wont work with J-Bridge, I wont hesitate to go back to Cubase. And that is unfortunate.

BdD7ntsr

Post by BdD7ntsr » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:02 am

Hi !

I'm totally agree with you Atardecer and use same plugins. When you want to use spectrasonics VST need to use all your ram system and not only 4GB...Because live sessions becomes easily Lag and full in memory (even if make efforts to preserve cpu...But it's very shitting to make that all the time).

I will buy a new PC With 7 64bits Pro. Please tell me if Ableton live works with J-Bridge and plugins like Komplete and spectrasonics (in 64 bits).

unfortunatly think same thing with cubase if ableton make nothing !

Thank you

Atardecer

Post by Atardecer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

FWIW,
I've found that Cubase 6 runs great in 64-bit (have only used it on a Mac though). At work, we have a template loaded with 12GB of sounds. Its awesome - I never have to trawl around for sounds. C'mon Ableton!!

fetzu

Post by fetzu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 pm

I'd like to add my +1.

The plugins/VST are more and more demanding, and performance shouldn't affect workflow negatively. Plus, as its been said before, many other DAWs are already taking advantage of 64bit; not to mention all OS X Lion users are now 64-bit ready!

pointsource

Post by pointsource » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm

+1000000000000