64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
JBlongz

Re: 64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by JBlongz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:40 pm

I have replaced my need for 64bit with Vienna Ensemble Pro, which is probably better than having Live as 64bit anyway. I learned something important during my growth as a producer/engineer....plugins ran in DAW do not take full advantage of CPU. That said, using VE Pro allows you to run the plugin externally, and stream the audio into Live. You will run 10x the amount plugins (if you have lots of ram and good cpu in the first place) Also, there is total recall! So you don't have to remember which plugins and setttings you had...just launch the apps (32bit and 64bit simultaneously) before launching Live.

I'm soon launching a tutorial site for this and more. Follow @ProducerBay on twitter for launch announcement.
Last edited by JBlongz on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

MIDIpanic

Post by MIDIpanic » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 am

JBlongz wrote:I have replaced my need for 64bit with Vienna Ensemble Pro, which is probably better than having Live as 64bit anyway…….
Ditto to JBlongz’s experience with VEP. One caveat is that Ableton Live is somewhat of an orphan host for VEP and the full compatibility with Live lags other, more studio-centric hosts running large, complex orchestrations. For example, even with the latest update of VEP (5.0.10068), parameter automation is still not working correctly with Live, nor is transport synchronization. None-the-less, VEP can save loads of time by creating mataframe sets pre-loaded with your favorite VST combinations. And it allows you to share these VST groups between hosts. For example, I’ll work on some projects at home in Pro Tools and then port the project over to Ableton Live for live performances, etc.
I think that as more of us use VEP, Vienna Instruments will be more motivated to include Ableton Live in its beta testing to improve VEP’s compatibility with Live.

BdD7ntsr

Post by BdD7ntsr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

Hi !!!

I already waiting for Live 64 bit support... For those who want to know if live work with J-bridge i said yes/Not.

I Used it with spectrasonics and komplete, ableton allowed to open them, but it doesn't already used all your memory because sometimes ableton crash and freeze like if memory is all used... the only way is to restart. and j-brige used ressource for all VST open with it.

So for now J-bridge is a good solution to run on 64 bit OS (for me Windows 7 pro) but if there is an ableton optimized 64 bit support it will be pretty better for stablility and ability to use your all your proc and ram like a real 64 bit OS.

What they are waiting for... :?

loydb

Post by loydb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Wow, the ReNoise guys managed to get 64-bit done. Maybe Ableton should outsource...
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 pm

I think Vienna should buy Ableton company, but that's just a pipe dream.
JBlongz YouTube

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 pm

VE Pro can't be used for automation:

When you're in the arrangement view and playback (dense) automation data routed to VE Pro, the "back to the arrangement" button lights up and live stops playing back the automation...

jBridge doesn't work so well neither...

native 64bit support is necessary!

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 pm

I understand. Perhaps Vienna need to offer more support for Ableton as well. While 64bit will eliminate the memory barrier, it will not eliminate the CPU barrier imposed on any DAW running plugins internally.
JBlongz YouTube

reso19khz

Post by reso19khz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 pm

+100!!! for 64 bit support. With faster cpus and more available ram developers keep building much more hungry plugins with better sound quality that require even more ram. 64 bit at this point is a must. I have just migrated from Cubase 64 bit to Ableton 32 bit and I find it very limiting and restrictive in terms of workflow as I have to keep bouncing tracks.

I realise some people might not come close to using 4 GB of RAM currently, but what about those that do?

64 bit support is at the top of my wish list.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm

remember, all the excuses for not making music with 32 bit are documented here.

when you have 64 bit and someone starts talking about 128 bit operating systems, you can just copy and paste your posts from this thread.

dnbhallifax

Post by dnbhallifax » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 pm

H20nly wrote:remember, all the excuses for not making music with 32 bit are documented here.

when you have 64 bit and someone starts talking about 128 bit operating systems, you can just copy and paste your posts from this thread.
Whatever, I run logic in 64 bit mode (and do my dance stuff in Live) and if I have a Logic project that start to choke in 32 bit mode, it play fine in 64 bit mode. It definitely makes a difference in performance. Especially if you use ram intensive plugins like Kontakt or Omnisphere. It's ridiculous that Ableton hasn't caught up by now, really no excuse....

reso19khz

Post by reso19khz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 am

Microsoft released the first 64 bit Windows in 2001, that's 11 years ago and its only recently that developers in the daw and music production industry have caught up. Probably the reason was that there was no need for it, i.e. no trilian libraries that require sometimes 2 GB of RAM for 1 patch 8O , etc. 128 bit os will be available sooner than you think (Microsoft I believe announced it for windows 9 even though the version will be the IA-128 bit) but there will be a huge timeframe until there is a need for it in our section of work - when plugins and software generally become so cpu and ram hungry that demand it.

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:16 am

My studio drive b0rked (I didn't know the type, but it turns out to be the dreaded Seagate 7200.11) so I have been rebuilding my machine around 64-bit Windows 7. The machine has 8 gigs of RAM, which I understand Ableton won't be able to use for now.

Apart from a few of my vst's needing upgrades, it all went fairly smoothly. Now all I'd like is for Ableton to make the switch as well.
I've got some stuff here:
http://www.zuur.com/

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:17 pm

reso19khz wrote:

Microsoft released the first 64 bit Windows in 2001
:lol: uh, NO... they didn't.

and when you get done googling that... tell me, how many DAWs have you seen speced to run on Windows NT or Server versions? - because that's really what you're trying to prove as soon as you fire up that search engine.

does it matter if there was a 64 bit terminal server in 2001? does that have ANYTHING to do with music production? could you even get a soundcard that would handle a DAW for that motherboard/USB 1.0 combo :?:

fast-trak pro users with sample libraries the size of godzilla most likely could not have afforded the parts to run it on anyway.

the first 64 bit OS that you whiners could have used as a modern DAW was XP Pro x64 Edition ... born around 2005, lived a lonely life with little attention... from anyone. the RAM alone would have cost you a grand. :lol:

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 pm

who the shit cares?
they need to get a 64bit version and soon, no matter if microsoft released a 64bit version before the wheel was invented or not. that is irrelevant. what IS relevant though is that we have people who are getting hardcore crashes because live runs out of memory, because it can't handle things properly. even if you don't run external plugins (like a really big set).

we need 64bit so we can utilise more ram.
what microsoft did or didn't do has nothing to do with this.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:36 pm

friend_kami wrote:we need 64bit so we can utilise more ram.
what's this we shit?