64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: 64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by friend_kami » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

H20nly wrote:
friend_kami wrote:we need 64bit so we can utilise more ram.
what's this we shit?
"we" as in "we, the people that are requesting it".

YOU might not need it, and that's fine. that doesn't mean that we don't need it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:20 am

H20nly wrote: the first 64 bit OS that you whiners could have used as a modern DAW was XP Pro x64 Edition ... born around 2005, lived a lonely life with little attention... from anyone. the RAM alone would have cost you a grand. :lol:
ummm?
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr05/a ... rnotes.htm

Just saying, it's not that black and white. Some DAW makers (Sonar and Logic) had 64 bit versions out almost from the moment home computers could address more than 4GB of RAM. I'm not worried that Live won't go 64 bit, it's more a matter of when. I think if you are worried then work in Sonar, Logic, Reaper, DP soon etc. and port to Live until it's ready. Reaper is all of $70, so it's not a bank breaker. IMO spending the money on Vienna Ensemble Pro is a better choice though, since it can still be used to your advantage when Live goes 64 bit.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 pm

^ um yeah. that article was published in....

drum roll please...

and it even talk speaks to the price of RAM only just moving into the realm of affordable.

so it's not all in my head then?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 am

so let me get this straight then. because you don't need 64bit and because you disagree that 64bit is an older technology than what another guy believes it to be, Ableton shouldn't implement it?

is that what this thread has turned into?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 am

H20nly wrote:^ um yeah. that article was published in....

drum roll please...

and it even talk speaks to the price of RAM only just moving into the realm of affordable.

The part about it "living a lonely life" very certainly is. Like it sez Sonar had a beta lickity split, and Logic wasn't far behind.
I'm aware that every DAW maker is going to have a unique set of problems when it comes to implementing 64 bit, but the simple fact is now that DP announced a 64 bit version that leaves Live and Pro Tools of the main DAWs. It gets old wading through Live 9 and 64 bit threads, but I'm not sure trolling a legit request no matter how often repeated is that great of a thing to do, just saying. My question now is will Ableton actually get beaten by Avid as well to 64 bit? it's looking that way. Beaten by Pro fools, oh the shame! :lol:

geo

Post by geo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:26 am

Ableton hasn't released an updated version for what, 3 years now? So the problem is not the 64bit issue but why it's taking Ableton so long to iron out any bugs. It seems to me they rolled out beta versions with users' money. So I am sure if they had Ableton sorted by now they would also have released the 64bit version. But I am afraid Live development has come into a sort of hault at the moment and that's what worries me. In my opinion, they should give away Live 9 for free if it ever gets out!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm

geo wrote: But I am afraid Live development has come into a sort of hault at the moment and that's what worries me. In my opinion, they should give away Live 9 for free if it ever gets out!
seems a solid plan, can't see a flaw in that one

8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8O :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm

friend_kami wrote:so let me get this straight then. because you don't need 64bit and because you disagree that 64bit is an older technology than what another guy believes it to be, Ableton shouldn't implement it?

:? no. dude tried to make it sound as if the 64 bit home studio has been a reality for over a decade. i called bullshit.

look man, i don't have any issues with 64 bit. what i have issues with is the chest pounding. people chime in and complain... ok. seriously though... the threats. seriously? "i'm going to another DAW if this doesn't get fixed soon"

so fuck off then.

it's a no brainer that 64 bit is on the horizon. threats and ultimatums are useless and just illustrate how spoiled the end user has become.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
H20nly wrote:^ um yeah. that article was published in....

drum roll please...

The part about it "living a lonely life" very certainly is. Like it sez Sonar had a beta lickity split, and Logic wasn't far behind.
I'm aware that every DAW maker is going to have a unique set of problems when it comes to implementing 64 bit, but the simple fact is now that DP announced a 64 bit version that leaves Live and Pro Tools of the main DAWs. It gets old wading through Live 9 and 64 bit threads, but I'm not sure trolling a legit request no matter how often repeated is that great of a thing to do, just saying. My question now is will Ableton actually get beaten by Avid as well to 64 bit? it's looking that way. Beaten by Pro fools, oh the shame! :lol:
:lol:

i've worked on PCs since MSN offered dialup. More specifically i have built, repaired or managed Windows PC/Servers professionally for over 7 years now... i have never seen a single install or built a single XP 64 bit machine... not one. DAW related or work related, not one. i was not saying they do not exist... i am saying that particular OS didn't get out much. even if it had... you would still have to have a login to another forum if you wanted to talk with someone who might have gone that route with their DAW. so i stand by my prior statement that XP 64 bit lived a quiet life for an OS.

i think what people are forgetting here is what Live can do without having to hit the stop button.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:34 pm

H20nly wrote:
friend_kami wrote:so let me get this straight then. because you don't need 64bit and because you disagree that 64bit is an older technology than what another guy believes it to be, Ableton shouldn't implement it?

:? no. dude tried to make it sound as if the 64 bit home studio has been a reality for over a decade. i called bullshit.

look man, i don't have any issues with 64 bit. what i have issues with is the chest pounding. people chime in and complain... ok. seriously though... the threats. seriously? "i'm going to another DAW if this doesn't get fixed soon"

so fuck off then.

it's a no brainer that 64 bit is on the horizon. threats and ultimatums are useless and just illustrate how spoiled the end user has become.
i would hardly call it spoiled when a customer asks for a crucial update to a product that he's paid for and is willing to pay again for. i know, i said crucial and that possibly doesn't apply to you and i am aware of that so there's no need to get the flamethrower out. but for all of us constantly struggling with live's inability to handle any moderatly sized project this is a neccessity, and one that surely would make more than a few user to head out the door if it doesn't get solved in the next major update, me included. you're welcome to stay and live in the past where you are forced to minimize your projects due to your daw's inability to allocate enough ram to run the big projects. each to his/her own, of course.

it might be a nobrainer that it's on the horizon, but so was alot of other stuff that still haven't been implemented, and probably never even will. i'm pretty confident that live will go 64bit and some point or another, but we need it now. not later. not in 4 yeras time, or 2 years time.

it should have been there a long time ago; a logical step would be to include it with the release of live 8 as it introduced group tracks which meant that you could make larger projects and have an easier way to manage them, which is sort of stupid if your software can't handle them because it's ram limit still sits at the same it did when it was developed 10 years ago. heh.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:09 pm

I guess that everyone who asks for 64 bit (for the memory allocation) has 64 bit versions of all their plugins?

I say this - because I don't. Some of my plugins I made myself, in 32 bit .
I'm not saying don't ask for 64 bit, I'm saying - are you sure you are actually ready for it?

It's not all good news you know.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Angstrom wrote:I guess that everyone who asks for 64 bit (for the memory allocation) has 64 bit versions of all their plugins?

I'm not saying don't ask for 64 bit, I'm saying - are you sure you are actually ready for it?

most developers (if not all) that supports 64bit tends to also support 32bit, should you require it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 am

H20nly wrote: i think what people are forgetting here is what Live can do without having to hit the stop button.
Agreed, but I think you're like me in the sense that you own more than one DAW, and Cubase is already 64 bit compatible is it not?

I just got a couple months ago a single string library that almost kills my little macbook pro's 4GB of memory. I can imagine that it would be painful to try to do full orchestral work with the huge libraries out there in Live, though I kind of don't understand why anybody would want to use Live for orchestral work??? Always wondered how many copies of the orchestral library Ableton sold? Seemed a freaking weird choice for a DAW with somewhat limited MIDI and no score editor?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 am

friend_kami wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I guess that everyone who asks for 64 bit (for the memory allocation) has 64 bit versions of all their plugins?

most developers (if not all) that supports 64bit tends to also support 32bit, should you require it.
yes, but if you have a 64 bit host you cannot open a 32 bit plugin in it.

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am

of course I can.

Cubase has VSTBridge, which doesn't work, so I use jBridge, which works pretty well.
Sonar X1 has its Bitbridge, which works pretty well and also supports jBridge builtin.
Reaper has its Bridge technology, which also works pretty well, I might use jBridge, too.
FL Studio has its Bridging technology, which somehow doesn't work so well with some plugs, but I might use jBridge to bridge from x64 plugs to x32, in order to let memory hungry plugs use any amount of my 16GB RAM, like Kontakt, Trillian. Not necessary though, as I'm streaming from SSD.
In any case I might spread the load across multiple systems with Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

And then there is my Live 8. It has no Bridge. It doesn't work well with jbridging either x32 plugs to x32 or x64 plugs to x32. Using Vienna Ensemble Pro doesn't work well as Live always lights up the "back to arrangement" button and disrupts automation playback.

With Live, I'm pretty much isolated to native x32, be it app or plug. memory limit indeed IS an issue, as it's reached pretty fast just by experimenting, and Live crashing when out of memory.

I sure hope there's a 64bit bin available soon. But this sure does take very very long, with m4l for example, the integration is to too tight. Max/msp isn't x64 and it won't be very soon, due to it's huge amount of objects which all need to be compiled and testet against x64...