64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share your wishes for the future of Ableton Live
Evil_Banana

Re: 64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Evil_Banana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Angstrom wrote:
yes, but if you have a 64 bit host you cannot open a 32 bit plugin in it.
Maybe so, but if your host is 32 bit, you can not open 64 bit plugins either. It's come to the point where I install good and FREE plugins on my computer and they don't work in Ableton... I'd rather have a host that supports the new stuff and have issues with the old, instead of a host where you're stuck with the old and can't get the new.

Usually I'm not one to nag for features, especially obvious evolutionary ones. And I'd rather have them wait a bit with implementing stuff until it's becoming realistic and useful. But this is taking a goddamn long time. We're past the point where it's realistic and useful, but where it's becoming a basic capability, which I still don't have in my 600Euro DAW (Logic Pro with all plugins, and sounds included is 149... And 64-bit compatible)
Ableton, please get a move on, quickly. It's been 3 years since a proper release that actually focussed on Live instead of all the gimmicks surrounding it. You've had fun messing about with complex implementations like Max and The Bridge. Now it's time to stop playing get the f*ck back to the basics.

+1 damned

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Evil_Banana wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
yes, but if you have a 64 bit host you cannot open a 32 bit plugin in it.
Maybe so, but if your host is 32 bit, you can not open 64 bit plugins either. It's come to the point where I install good and FREE plugins on my computer and they don't work in Ableton... I'd rather have a host that supports the new stuff and have issues with the old, instead of a host where you're stuck with the old and can't get the new.

Usually I'm not one to nag for features, especially obvious evolutionary ones. And I'd rather have them wait a bit with implementing stuff until it's becoming realistic and useful. But this is taking a goddamn long time. We're past the point where it's realistic and useful, but where it's becoming a basic capability, which I still don't have in my 600Euro DAW (Logic Pro with all plugins, and sounds included is 149... And 64-bit compatible)
Ableton, please get a move on, quickly. It's been 3 years since a proper release that actually focussed on Live instead of all the gimmicks surrounding it. You've had fun messing about with complex implementations like Max and The Bridge. Now it's time to stop playing get the f*ck back to the basics.

+1 damned
well, you could always save your money for yet another partner instruments that's just a bunch of samples and some racks.
huhu.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 pm

friend_kami wrote:
H20nly wrote:
friend_kami wrote:so let me get this straight then. because you don't need 64bit and because you disagree that 64bit is an older technology than what another guy believes it to be, Ableton shouldn't implement it?

is that what this thread has turned into?
:? no. dude tried to make it sound as if the 64 bit home studio has been a reality for over a decade. i called bullshit.

look man, i don't have any issues with 64 bit. what i have issues with is the chest pounding. people chime in and complain... ok. seriously though... the threats. seriously? "i'm going to another DAW if this doesn't get fixed soon"

so fuck off then.

it's a no brainer that 64 bit is on the horizon. threats and ultimatums are useless and just illustrate how spoiled the end user has become.
i would hardly call it spoiled when a customer asks for a crucial update to a product that he's paid for and is willing to pay again for. i know, i said crucial and that possibly doesn't apply to you and i am aware of that so there's no need to get the flamethrower out......
no flamethrowers kami.

64 bit is not an update. it is a complete re-rewrite. you don't download a service pack and convert something to 64 bit...

the product that [we] the customer paid for is 32 bit. the customer knew this when making the purchase and if they did not... the chances are that they had little idea (or concern at the time) in regard to the difference between 32 and 64 bit or the implications that surround it.

it would surely behoove those who desire 64 bit now to remember that they did not pay for a 64 bit product, nor does Ableton offer one (at this time). do you typically buy products "as is" and then make threats, demands and assertions regarding how you believe they "should be"? reasonably wanting more is one thing, angrily demanding it is another. in regard to bit depth... everyone who uses Live got what they paid for.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm

No one need RAM hungry Vienna Ensemble opened in MIDI track during live performance. Take a look at your DAW's name carefully once again.

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:53 am

pencilrocket wrote:No one need RAM hungry Vienna Ensemble opened in MIDI track during live performance. Take a look at your DAW's name carefully once again.
There are other approaches to Live than just the Live-Performance one!
Live is great for theatre, movie, game, whatever -soundtracks. Imagine those without strings :wink:
Live 9.1.7 64bit, NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Addictive Drums 2
Scarlett 18i8
M-Audio Keystation 61es, Launchpad, Behringer BCF2000
AMD Phenom II X6, 8 GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
http://tomluft.at

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:36 pm

pencilrocket wrote:No one need RAM hungry Vienna Ensemble opened in MIDI track during live performance. Take a look at your DAW's name carefully once again.
and what is with the ppl which score movies with ableton?! or make cinematic still like myself?!
we need more ram. even when u make only EDM with a lot of layering the 3,87GB are just to less to deal with.

and for those ppl which want to do a live performance - they can still use the 32bit version.
load a f ew EW or VSL stuff and u a re fked - cos you get the 'out of memory' error.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:40 am

Lumix wrote:
and what is with the ppl which score movies with ableton?! or make cinematic still like myself?!
we need more ram. even when u make only EDM with a lot of layering the 3,87GB are just to less to deal with.

and for those ppl which want to do a live performance - they can still use the 32bit version.
load a f ew EW or VSL stuff and u a re fked - cos you get the 'out of memory' error.
Didn't they see the name of the software before buying it? Was it called Cinema or something? Use Live where it gives the best result. No tool covers all.

gDo

Post by gDo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 am

Yes! please, please, please, we need that 64bit processing I am trying to create a live electronics setup which requires a lot of tricky configurations all running at once and right now I can't trust live to perform :cry:

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Lumix wrote:

Didn't they see the name of the software before buying it? Was it called Cinema or something? Use Live where it gives the best result. No tool covers all.

afaik, live is marketed as a daw. a complete production station, not just a live performance tool.
why do you think they offer their own orchestral libraries for even?
for live on-the-fly string quartets?
come on man, you are grasping at straws and you know it.

savale

Post by savale » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 am

+1 and it better be soon... Really I have big problems with the Memory limitation.

hgt

Post by hgt » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:26 pm

++++1!!!!
i got nothing but 'out of memory crashes' lately.
i don't even use plug inns with sample libraries. only lots of m4l buffer fx and lots of recorded audio clips.
shouldn't a daw be able to handle that?
gee hgt

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:47 pm

hgt wrote:++++1!!!!
i got nothing but 'out of memory crashes' lately.
i don't even use plug inns with sample libraries. only lots of m4l buffer fx and lots of recorded audio clips.
shouldn't a daw be able to handle that?
well, a daw with an "integrated" maxmsp should be able to handle what you do with your maxmsp, one would assume.

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Max/msp is x32. X32 is limited to ~3GB. Live cant be x64 unless max/msp is x64, or x64 live won't be compatible to m4l. How would that be?

It will be lots of time until live/max/msp will be x64, especially max/msp, as every object would have to be rewritten/compiled for x64.

jweisbin

Post by jweisbin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:59 pm

I really don't care if Live is 64 bit or not. But what I really really really need is support for 64-bit Rewire, so I can use Live via Rewire with Logic in 64 bit mode.

Reason 6 has 64-bit Rewire, and it's brilliant.

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Live would be the first app which bridges rewire between architectures... Considering how many dev teams struggle bridging vst plugins, this would be masterpiece...

Let's get serious: x64 is needed, but it won't happen soon and way more than ableton is involved, too.

Until then, invest in vepro5/jBridge or other hosts/jackaudio and alternative solutions, if you need access to more ram. There's no other way.

I don't like this, but it is what it is.