64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jce0108

64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jce0108 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:03 am

When is this going to happen??? I have all the east/west, omnisphere, tons of kontact like symphobia and VSL on a win 7 pro 64 bit system and i get out of memory with maybe 8 plug ins. I have 8 GB of ram. I have even been trying to use other DAWs like Reaper and Presonus Studio One in 64 bit and none of them feel as good or work as quickly for me as live.For whatever reason I can't get comfy in those other DAWs.Please Ableton here my cries and move into the 21st century!!!

P.S. I would also like to be able to detach the midi editor so i can move it to another screen to work. I run 3 monitors(42" and 2 32")and it would be great to keep the session or arrangement view fully open and open the midi editor up big to work on it sepperately.

William

Re: 64BIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by William » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:59 am

I'm sure this is on the radar at the Ableton office. +1
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

dolphie

Post by dolphie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 am

once again i wish for this feature :)

Delie

Post by Delie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm

+1

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I hope this is PRIMARY GOAL now in Berlin. Sound libraries are getting bigger and projects are getting more complex. I have 16GB of ram and Live can't even use 5GB. I use EastWest and Vienna Plugins, they use a lot of RAM and I don't like freezing everything unless there is CPU overload.

ABLETON PLEASE GIVE US SOME FEEBACK.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

dolphie

Post by dolphie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:24 am

those liberies is nasty :) huge and very good :)

t.riggins

Post by t.riggins » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:09 am

and thus I add another +1 to the thread........ it's pretty much essential because since most people buy pre-built PC's they all come with 64bit OS's anyway. I won't bother to mention library sizes these days as Ableton themselves offer tons of stuff and have their own gigantic libraries.........so they of all people should realize 64bit is a must these days. Then again they probably still think Windows XP 32bit is still the most powerful system in the world right now.

sach160

Post by sach160 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm

+1 but in the meantime check out jbridge (google it), - I've tried a few things to get around the memory limits, bidule, reaper, vst chainer but jbridge is the first problem-free near-seamless solution I've found - it lets you run your memory intensive vsts in separate windows processes, so as long as no one vst goes over 2GB you can use as much memory as you have (in vista 64 or 7 64). I've tested it on loads of plugins and while it doesn't work with everything it works really well with most. The guy who wrote is really cool and will help with any specific problems. Can't recommend it enough - it's changed what I can do with Ableton.

t.riggins

Post by t.riggins » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am

Sach160 said.......
+1 but in the meantime check out jbridge (google it), - I've tried a few things to get around the memory limits, bidule, reaper, vst chainer but jbridge is the first problem-free near-seamless solution I've found - it lets you run your memory intensive vsts in separate windows processes, so as long as no one vst goes over 2GB you can use as much memory as you have (in vista 64 or 7 64). I've tested it on loads of plugins and while it doesn't work with everything it works really well with most. The guy who wrote is really cool and will help with any specific problems. Can't recommend it enough - it's changed what I can do with Ableton.

I have jbridge and it is very good BUT every time Ableton tends to update....... jbridge doesn't read automation. Joao ((programmer of jbridge)) actually did a lot to help me with that and the past few updates he made to jbridge was due to communication between us about what's going on with ableton. Downfall is Ableton has been the only program that's caused those issues with automation in jbridge. I haven't tried the new beta update yet but the current version does work fine. So on that note my issue with jbridge and Ableton is if Ableton will cause Joao to have to make another update.

But other than that, I agree with Sach that jbridge is a good alternative, especially if you're not using much automation.

sach160

Post by sach160 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 pm

I didn't realise that - all the versions I've had, the automation works. Automap was trickier to get working but Joao looked into it and it works well now. Perhaps it's a good idea to start a jbridge thread!

The point is though that even if you only use it on a couple of key plugins like Kontakt or Battery for me, it improves the memory headroom no end.

It would have been awesome if Ableton picked this up and integrated it or worked with Joao, but Joao says he never received a reply from Ableton, even when he just asked for a developer's license :evil:

[/quote]

I have jbridge and it is very good BUT every time Ableton tends to update....... jbridge doesn't read automation. Joao ((programmer of jbridge)) actually did a lot to help me with that and the past few updates he made to jbridge was due to communication between us about what's going on with ableton. Downfall is Ableton has been the only program that's caused those issues with automation in jbridge. I haven't tried the new beta update yet but the current version does work fine. So on that note my issue with jbridge and Ableton is if Ableton will cause Joao to have to make another update.

But other than that, I agree with Sach that jbridge is a good alternative, especially if you're not using much automation.[/quote]

CFM

Post by CFM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:28 am

Main advantage to me would be not not having to run 2 versions of VST's 32bit in Live and 64 bit in Sonar. Plus I hope some of the 64 bit VST's in Sonar would will work in Live. Plus the extra memory.

dolphie

Post by dolphie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 am

just got j brige and damm it just works perfec

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 pm

+1 for 64bit, but - using 64b and loosing half plugs is a disaster. please make native bridge to use 32b and 64b plugs in live without Jbridge? might be a stupid demand (sorry), but i do not know how much work it takes to write soft like this.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Keep asking in this forum.. Maybe Ableton will notice us when we get to 5,000 posts. Tell your friends, tell your family...tell your neighbors.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

William

Post by William » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 am

A member of the Ableton support team confirmed today that the crashes I experience are due to a lack of memory. I have as much memory as Ableton can use (4GB). As soon as 64 bit is implemented I will be IMMENSELY happy.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9